• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan leaves Browns

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Cleveland Browns tradition of change continues as a team source told ESPN.com on Thursday that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback coach Dowell Loggains will not be retained."

I liked what he was doing with the offense.. this can't help JMs development either switching OCs after one year

"Cleveland.com reported this week that the coaching staff believed some in the front office were sending texts during games to the sidelines about personnel and plays."

That's a big no-no

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dowell Loggains was the guy that convinced them to draft Johnny Football. They fired his ass.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Cleveland Browns tradition of change continues as a team source told ESPN.com on Thursday that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback coach Dowell Loggains will not be retained."

I liked what he was doing with the offense.. this can't help JMs development either switching OCs after one year

"Cleveland.com reported this week that the coaching staff believed some in the front office were sending texts during games to the sidelines about personnel and plays."

That's a big no-no

no problem..I don't think JM learned much anyway.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm unsure what to think of Shanahan. The offense looked promising early on in the season and really hit a wall mid-season. They never recovered. I don't know if that has to do with poor scheming, poor play, or poor play calling, but something wasn't right at all.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm unsure what to think of Shanahan. The offense looked promising early on in the season and really hit a wall mid-season. They never recovered. I don't know if that has to do with poor scheming, poor play, or poor play calling, but something wasn't right at all.

Could also have to do with who they faced. Early games against the Titans, Bucs, Raiders, Jags (even though they lost), these weren't exactly championship caliber teams.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan never impressed my as OC: watching RG111 with him as OC, just nothing but frustration. And I'm not a Skins fan or RG111 fan. But that offense seemed lost, with a pattern of questionable calls. On top of everything, it looked like they were intentionally trying to get their QB killed.

Browns seemed similar. His offenses at both places just seemed out of synch, lost, with no real identity or anything to hang their hat on.

Whether these perceptions are all on Shanahan, or that both teams just are not good, I dont know.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge Kyle fan, what he did with RG3 and aflred Morris their rookie year was amazing. If RG3 was durable that would've been a potent offense. Thankfully as a cowboy fan he's not. Look for kyle to end up with his dad somewhere.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could also have to do with who they faced. Early games against the Titans, Bucs, Raiders, Jags (even though they lost), these weren't exactly championship caliber teams.

Those were mostly mid-season games tho, and the offense looked bad in each of them (except the 2nd half of the titans game).

I'm sure it was a combination of things, but once teams realized they could just sit down w/in 15 yards of the line of scrimmage to shut down the run and the short crossing and slant routes it was over. They might have been using smoke and mirrors the first few games too for all I know.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They sould be in a soup line along with the Ryan boys.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole team looked worst the second half of the season. Another poster pointed out that we played harder teams which is very true but Hoyer went on a slump where he threw 11 INTs to 1 TD or something like that :L

Then we just threw an unready JM into the fire and well that didn't do any good for him or the team.

Cleveland for some reason just ruins QBs

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes Shanahan did well that year with RG111 and Alfred Morris. And I wanted to like his work, but I just couldnt see that offense lasting. Maybe it was more RG111 causing the my discontent with his offense, I dont know.

But I watched them numerous times, and ended up wanting to throw my remote at the TV, and yell at the dog. Frustrating as could be.

In fact now I think about it, it was the same way I felt this year watching Shawn Watson's offense at Texas...

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge Kyle fan, what he did with RG3 and aflred Morris their rookie year was amazing. If RG3 was durable that would've been a potent offense.

Congradulations, I don`t think a gayer coment has ever been made in the history of the internet.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already has a team lined up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Adjustment...or lack of thereof.

DCs feed off what you do well, and in the early part of the season the Browns were running it well and getting some good playaction passing off that...that seemed to be Hoyer's strong suit. Teams starting bringing more people in a box and putting CLE in more predictable down and distance situations and Hoyer had less success.

That said...constant coaching change is not really the recipe to win consistently in the NFL.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already has a team lined up.
I think that is spot on sir

Adjustment...or lack of thereof.

DCs feed off what you do well, and in the early part of the season the Browns were running it well and getting some good playaction passing off that...that seemed to be Hoyer's strong suit. Teams starting bringing more people in a box and putting CLE in more predictable down and distance situations and Hoyer had less success.

That said...constant coaching change is not really the recipe to win consistently in the NFL.

I agree with you, teams had more film on the Browns and adjusted their defense accordingly. On the other hand we either did a bad job of countering that change or our QB play was just that bad.

Whichever the reason is, it is still another sub .500 season in Cleveland.. but hey, will still have the Cavs their doing great!...:gaah:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, teams had more film on the Browns and adjusted their defense accordingly. On the other hand we either did a bad job of countering that change or our QB play was just that bad.

Whichever the reason is, it is still another sub .500 season in Cleveland.. but hey, will still have the Cavs their doing great!...:gaah:

Yep...the best DCs take away what you do best, the best OCs adjust and attack another way...often times after halftime.

LeBron did good to go back home....well sort of home...OH at least.