• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

sewell was the pick, now....

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sewell just isn't sexy enough. we'll see if the bangs have developed draft discipline. .....or, per usual take the sexy TE or flashy WR

We always go sexy. Sell a few tickets

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sewell just isn't sexy enough. we'll see if the bangs have developed draft discipline. .....or, per usual take the sexy TE or flashy WR

We always go sexy. Sell a few tickets
I don't think it's about being sexy - it has to do with multiple factors. One, he didn't play last year. Two, the Pac12 isn't a great competition league. Three, in his one game against a major opponent, Auburn, he struggled. Lastly, this draft is insanely deep at OL. You can get a Pitts/Chase in the 1st and then still get Leatherwood or Cosmi, or several other well rated OL in round 2.

This isn't uncommon. When a draft is unusually deep at a position, it devalues it to a point. It allows you to take other players where the depth isn't as great, or maybe have high upside, or more film, etc..etc...

I agree that several months ago Sewell was the pick, but Reiff has helped at the RT spot, and the Bengals feel confident at the LT with Williams (and Sewell projects to more of a LT, but a great question is - does he see himself as a LT only - don't want a Brown, Jr situation on our hands like Bmore has).

If Sewell is the pick, that will be fine. If it's Chase, Pitts, or even a trade...the Bengals have put themselves into a nice situation where, really, any of those options are acceptable and help improve the team. The OL gets the acuity thanks to the Burrow injury - but if we can be honest, Hart is gone, and Reiff is in and the line is immediately better. Land an OL in round 2, and the line continues to upgrade. Still a few F/A out there, who would be nice additions at OG - so lots of time/room from this aspect.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several draft experts that are actually grading Slater out as a higher rated prospect than Sewell. There is absolutely no one grading another WR or TE higher than Chase and Pitts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pitts is the pick, but I'd be ok with an OL or Chase. I don't like the idea of taking a WR when we have higgins and boyd, but it's possible we don't always have all of the above. on the other hand, watching chase's highlight reel is the same as watching burrows highlight reel, the timing between the 2 is already impecable.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pitts is the pick, but I'd be ok with an OL or Chase. I don't like the idea of taking a WR when we have higgins and boyd, but it's possible we don't always have all of the above. on the other hand, watching chase's highlight reel is the same as watching burrows highlight reel, the timing between the 2 is already impecable.
Yep. Burrow and Chase were maybe the most dynamic QB/WR combo in the history of college football that season.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the Bengals would be incredibly stupid to not grab Sewell or Slater with their pick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the Bengals would be incredibly stupid to not grab Sewell or Slater with their pick.
it could still happen. with the depth of lineman in this draft it would be a shame if we couldn't trade back a bit and shore up our depth chart a bit.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to be okay. Impact player at 5. A guy that Pittsburgh would absolutely hate trying to cover. Then we can add offensive line depth in rounds 2 through 4. As long as Hart is out and Reiff is in, I am already much more comfortable with our OLINE. Pollack is back with a scheme I really liked, and down the stretch once Su'a-Filo got healthy and was playing LG for the rotation of guys we had in there...things improved. If we can get a good solid offensive line prospect like Quinn Meinerz in the 2nd or 3rd, I will be "comfortable" with our oline, especially since Williams and Reiff will be on the outside.