• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seriously, how can theaters survive this?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they survived the expansion of home viewing options, they'll survive this. We go about once a month. We'd probably go more often if every other movie wasn't some cgi, animated or super hero junk. They've really upgraded the place we go with cushy padded, heated, reclining seats with a lot of room between rows. It's really a nice experience.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they survived the expansion of home viewing options, they'll survive this. We go about once a month. We'd probably go more often if every other movie wasn't cgi, animated or super hero junk. They've really upgraded the place we go with cushy padded, heated, reclining seats with a lot of room between rows. It's really a nice experience.

They've upgraded out theatre where I live too.

But I don't have much inclination to go sit there. Not just now either.

Germ pits...

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why they straight r*pe for drinks. Pop costs jack shit.. same with popcorn
They do that so they can make money. The film studio takes most of the cash for airing the film that they have to gouge the shit out of you to stay in business. If the film studios wern't so fucking greedy, you'd see much lower prices for sodas and popcorn.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters need to die in a fire regardless... yes I get it puts a ton of kids out of jobs, but FUCK movie theaters.

The chairs are generally not comfortable, you have to listen to a bunch of fuckheads chewing popcorn and stuffing their fat fucking face, the screen quality is not any better than a 4K 70" TV (which are like $1K now), the bathrooms give you hepatitis (3 friends confirmed), and the sound quality is overrated. People that blare speakers should IMO be sterilized anyway.

IMO COVID-19 did one hell of a job to advance our society in how we should be viewing movie theater releases. AT HOME. I'd gladly pay $10 (not $20, go fuck yourself) to view a theater release movie in the comfort of my own home. And then if it's rated R or there's a hot nude chick I can masturbate comfortably without the fuckhead with the glow stick poking me and asking me to leave.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theater near my work is having curbside pickup of concessions like popcorn, lol

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters need to die in a fire regardless... yes I get it puts a ton of kids out of jobs, but FUCK movie theaters.

The chairs are generally not comfortable, you have to listen to a bunch of fuckheads chewing popcorn and stuffing their fat fucking face, the screen quality is not any better than a 4K 70" TV (which are like $1K now), the bathrooms give you hepatitis (3 friends confirmed), and the sound quality is overrated. People that blare speakers should IMO be sterilized anyway.

IMO COVID-19 did one hell of a job to advance our society in how we should be viewing movie theater releases. AT HOME. I'd gladly pay $10 (not $20, go fuck yourself) to view a theater release movie in the comfort of my own home. And then if it's rated R or there's a hot nude chick I can masturbate comfortably without the fuckhead with the glow stick poking me and asking me to leave.

Sounds like you need to go to better theaters.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you need to go to better theaters.

Well then you tell me which theater I can go to where I can tell everyone to SHUT THE FUCK UP and stop eating popcorn and stuffing their fat fuckin' face, or which theater will allow me to pause the movie and go take a shit?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then you tell me which theater I can go to where I can tell everyone to SHUT THE FUCK UP and stop eating popcorn and stuffing their fat fuckin' face, or which theater will allow me to pause the movie and go take a shit?

Arclight is one of the better experiences.

If you have incontinence problems, just bring some Depends.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they survived the expansion of home viewing options, they'll survive this. We go about once a month. We'd probably go more often if every other movie wasn't some cgi, animated or super hero junk. They've really upgraded the place we go with cushy padded, heated, reclining seats with a lot of room between rows. It's really a nice experience.

We really like the Emagine theaters.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't regret seeing A Star Is Born.

Before that, prolly the last few Star Wars movies while I was on the road for work.

Most recent for me was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and before that... No Country For Old Men.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do that so they can make money. The film studio takes most of the cash for airing the film that they have to gouge the shit out of you to stay in business. If the film studios wern't so fucking greedy, you'd see much lower prices for sodas and popcorn.

My grandfather worked as a film projectionist in movie theaters for his entire career and my father spent a lot of time at the old State Theater when he was growing up. He worked as an usher at a when he was a teenager and chuckles when he hears people squawking about the cost of popcorn and soda nowadays.

Cost to attend a movie in the late 40's, 5c

Cost for a bag of popcorn at that same movie, 5c

You want soda with that? Break out another nickel.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most recent for me was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and before that... No Country For Old Men.
Did you like Once Upon a Time...? Haven't seen that one yet.

No Country For Old Men has been a minute. That's some series time in between cinema visits.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I went from going to theaters about 3x a month to about 3 times a year. It was a slow decline over about fifteen years but its pretty noticeable.

I figured theaters were doomed a decade ago. The MCU and China probably made them hold on for awhile but I think they're fairly doomed now

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Once Upon a Time was my last trip to a theater as well...

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, it's just awesome
There is 5 near me. They have first run movies great refreshments etc. Cost vary but it seems $15 a carload is normal. There are a couple closed but they open May 1st. That seems to be when the Spring season begins.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will survive.

I have a 65 inch Panny plasma along with a Pioneer Elite receiver, Polk tower, center and powered sub speakers. A blu ray player, NetFlix and on demand and that is not enough to duplicate the theater experience.

Yes I can out do the audio with my set up but no way the video. Going is an experience even with the overpriced refreshments.