• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seriously, how can theaters survive this?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that I guess it's 15-17 to go to a theatre. N u get to keep it. But I won't pay it. I just had this convo with my mother lol. Told her if they were 14.99 I'd buy them but not 19.99. Just something about it, refuse to
On Demand it is 19.99 & rent only.
So no way I am getting anything to watch at home if I cant own it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters will be around until studios decide to stream. As said, charging full price just to rent on demand isn’t going to kill theaters. Disney plus raising their monthly rate to $19.99 a month but skipping the theaters would though. Studios have to be lazy or something that they haven’t created steaming services. Just look at Netflix and all of their originals, don’t have to split their profits with a theater and don’t even really have to spend money on advertising either.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've pretty much eliminated the movie theatre from my 'must go' list. I built a room in my cellars that is now my "mancave." It's 16'w x 22'L. I made it with an indent to put the largest TV available at the time which was 75". I painted the walls a slate gray. In 2019 I flipped the room and bought a projector. I use the wall as my screen and I can sit 7-8 feet from a 6' x 8' perfect picture and I bought a theatre sound bar. Today, my grandson will help me hook up the Roku and turn my projector into a smart projector.

The only reason that people go to the theatre is to see a giant projection with Dolby Stereo surround sound and feel like their in the movie itself. I might have to wait a couple of months to be able to buy a movie, but paying $19.99 for the DVD and the digital code is well worth it. My movie library is more than 150 movies and I have a digital library of 65 movies.

The best part is watching the NFL, NHL or NBA in an overstuffed leather lounger and a refrigerator 8 feet from the chair. That's full sized refrigerator/freezer. Microwave is next.

Anyway, the projector cost me $188 and came with a 6x9 screen. The best part of all is that I can pause anything, go take a pee and not have to worry about losing the best seat in the house.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With streaming availability from buying to renting it was hard to believe that they were doing as well as they were in the first place.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Demand it is 19.99 & rent only.
So no way I am getting anything to watch at home if I cant own it.
oh i saw some 19.99 buys for all new movies on fandango

i dunno like i said if i went to a theatre id be paying 15-17..........so 19.99 to keep the movie isnt bad, for new releases. Thing is i dont re watch a ton of movies...........and im not seeing it on the massive screen........i have a big tv but still..........

I know its completely idiotic....but i wont pay 19.99, i would pay 14.99. I know the new bad boys didnt get good reviews. But i wanna see it. Id pay 14.99, not 19.99.....its silly i know

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were. Likely better now than I recall too as the sound could come through your car's radio system instead of a silly little squawk box in your window.

Roger that. Back in the day, one of the main Drive Ins in the area was the Giant 41 Twin that featured screens on both sides. Believe it or not, they used to show pron movies on it as well.

The good ole days

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent been to a movie in years. When I did, it was ridiculously expensive. Now that they've pushed the red button to movies straight to homes they cant put that thing back in the box. It will become the new norm. 30 years from now people will ask, "Wait, so you had to go somewhere to watch a movie?" Because simply watching them right at home when they get released will be the new norm.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger that. Back in the day, one of the main Drive Ins in the area was the Giant 41 Twin that featured screens on both sides. Believe it or not, they used to show pron movies on it as well.

The good ole days

I have great childhood memories of us loading the back of the pickup truck with bean bags, a garbage full of popcorn and a cooler of beverages and hitting up the double header...family-ish show for the first showing, R-rated en sech for the second feature. Be late af, by the time we were done..and I'd be long asleep by then.

Good stuff.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have great childhood memories of us loading the back of the pickup truck with bean bags, a garbage full of popcorn and a cooler of beverages and hitting up the double header...family-ish show for the first showing, R-rated en sech for the second feature. Be late af, by the time we were done..and I'd be long asleep by then.

Good stuff.

giphy.gif

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters need to die in a fucking fire, anyway.

This might be a BIG pro with COVID-19 is Hollywood realizes these dumbass theaters that nobody really wants to go to anyway but have to, because they want to see a stupid ass Disney movie can finally watch it from home. Amazon and sites have responded perfectly. Charge a premium and we don't have to pack in a theater with a bunch of annoying douche nozzle popcorn eating fags and their fuckhead kids... *this should not be modded and I assume will be an applaud by the community*

Movie theaters are basically the Hitler of entertainment. I don't even know what that means but I'm saying it. AND any dislikes to my post will PERSONALLY get banned.

We have the technology in place to easily get a movie theater experience with home TV/Sound. Thanks to China (too soon? Well fuck all of you) we can afford it for cheap, and having to go spend $100 for a family of 4 at a fuckin' theater that should cost $20 overall is ridiculous. Yet some service has come out charging $50K for in home movies plus the receiver? FUCK YOU HOLLYWOOD, I will forever rip off versions of the movie for free because of that.

"BUT THE SOUND AND PICTURE IS SO MUCH BETTER!" Seriously, go die in a fire. "But it's something to do with the kids!" Just be normal and pay some asshole High School kid half of what you'd pay for a theater and go out to lunch at Chipotle or something. Tired of these dumbass parents having kids and then looking for cheap reasons to entertain them. I'll entertain them for free with a BB gun and a hose.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit... I just learned it's been almost 5 years since my last theater visit. Mad Max Fury Road was my last theater movie and I just looked it up online and saw it was released May 15, 2015 in the USA. Wow... five fooking years!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet they're going to start up the donkey shows. You can't get this from a donkey, can you? He can only service one at a time anyway.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The good ole days

I never saw drive in smut.

But I did see the start of a hell of a lot of 2nd features.... Not so much the end though. Things got murky.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good stuff.

If I removed the extra far back seats in this baby there was a covered well that could hide 2 people if they were quiet. The admission saving were spread over the whole group.

1c81dd47489688afa48e71b8e7c5e2fc.jpg

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theaters need to die in a fucking fire, anyway.

This might be a BIG pro with COVID-19 is Hollywood realizes these dumbass theaters that nobody really wants to go to anyway but have to, because they want to see a stupid ass Disney movie can finally watch it from home. Amazon and sites have responded perfectly. Charge a premium and we don't have to pack in a theater with a bunch of annoying douche nozzle popcorn eating fags and their fuckhead kids... *this should not be modded and I assume will be an applaud by the community*

Movie theaters are basically the Hitler of entertainment. I don't even know what that means but I'm saying it. AND any dislikes to my post will PERSONALLY get banned.

We have the technology in place to easily get a movie theater experience with home TV/Sound. Thanks to China (too soon? Well fuck all of you) we can afford it for cheap, and having to go spend $100 for a family of 4 at a fuckin' theater that should cost $20 overall is ridiculous. Yet some service has come out charging $50K for in home movies plus the receiver? FUCK YOU HOLLYWOOD, I will forever rip off versions of the movie for free because of that.

"BUT THE SOUND AND PICTURE IS SO MUCH BETTER!" Seriously, go die in a fire. "But it's something to do with the kids!" Just be normal and pay some asshole High School kid half of what you'd pay for a theater and go out to lunch at Chipotle or something. Tired of these dumbass parents having kids and then looking for cheap reasons to entertain them. I'll entertain them for free with a BB gun and a hose.

EDGY
D
G
Y