• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September 21, AT Illinois

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska wins 45-14

Nebraska will be 4-0 going into the Ohio State game. Nebraska should bring up 2015 and how Mike Riley lost to Illinois in Champagne.

Players to Watch

DL Bobby Roundtree

RB Reggie Corbin

True Freshman Receiver/DB Marquez Beason (wasn't he recruited by Nebraska?)
True Freshman QB Isaiah Williams

Position Comparisons

OL tie
QB Nebraska
RB Illinois
TE Nebraska
WR Nebraska

DL tie
LB tie
CB Nebraska
Safeties tie

Kicking game - Nebraska, Illinois has a new kicker
Punting - Illinois

I want to give more edge to Nebraska on defense, but it isn't like last year's defense was really good.

On November 10, 2018, Nebraska beat Illinois 54-35 in Lincoln

Nebraska will be on the second game of becoming the Illinois State Champions after beating Northern Illinois the previous week.

In 2018, Illinois was almost as good as Nebraska. Illinois did beat Minnesota 55-31 in a shocker.

Illnois beat Kent State, Western Illinois(FCS), Rutgers, and Minnesota.

In 2019, Illinois plays Akron, UCONN, and Eastern Michigan before facing Nebraska. Illinois could be 3-0 before Nebraska.

Illinois made a terrible hire in Lovie Smith, Nebraska should begin the last nail in the coffin for him. If Illinois keeps him after this year, good for them.

Illinois has problems against explosive offenses. Nebraska has an explosive offense.

Illinois will be breaking in a new QB with a bad receiving corps. Illinois will be all Reggie Corbin. Last year, Illinois ran wild on Nebraska but Reggie Corbin did not do the damage, it was scrambling QB AJ Bush, who is gone. 4/5 of the starting 2018 Offensive line return.

Corbin did average 6.5 yards per carry, but since Illinois was behind they were throwing the ball, which allowed Bush to run.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska should bring up 2015 and how Mike Riley .

ClutteredSparseHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

new mindset.. i wouldn't bring up Riley for anything

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also if Nebraska and Illi are tied in the oline dline and LBer category we are in big big trouble.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I will admit that I have slipped in the recrooting category as far as knowing other teams classes but if Nebraska is tied in Illinois in anything I think we are in trouble. Nebraskas S&C should be on par with Bama Clemson Oklahoma. I am not saying that we are there yet but the lifting and nutrition should be on par and that equates to wins.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I will admit that I have slipped in the recrooting category as far as knowing other teams classes but if Nebraska is tied in Illinois in anything I think we are in trouble. Nebraskas S&C should be on par with Bama Clemson Oklahoma. I am not saying that we are there yet but the lifting and nutrition should be on par and that equates to wins.

You can lead a recruit to the training table, but you can't make him eat what's good for him. Little Caesars is just a phone call away for delivery to the dorms on a stipend.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Freshman QB Isaiah Williams WHO?

Position Comparisons

OL tie
QB Nebraska
RB Illinois
TE Nebraska
WR Nebraska

DL NEBRASKA
LB tie
CB Nebraska
Safeties tie

Kicking game - Illinois has a new kicker, Nebraska is looking for one
Punting - Illinois

I gave Nebraska the DL now. But, still no pressure on the QB. If Bowers did not overthrow those two wide open receivers in the first half, those would have been NIU touchdowns.

Brandon Peters just might make those throws. He has thrown for nearly 700 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTS.

So far, Illinois has beaten an 0-3 Akron team, a 1-1 UCONN team(won against FCS), and lost to Eastern Michigan. Not an impressive list. I suppose losing to Colorado is better than losing to Eastern Michigan.

The good news is that the Illinois defense is not good. But if Nebraska plays to the level of the defense, which they have, then this game is a coin flip.

Illinois is dangerous on offense because Reggie Corbin is good, Brandon Peters is adequate to good, the nebraska defense has to find a way to pressure the QB.

I do not expect the rush defense to bottle up Corbin. He will probably make his 100 yards.

I predict a high scoring affair.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can lead a recruit to the training table, but you can't make him eat what's good for him. Little Caesars is just a phone call away for delivery to the dorms on a stipend.
A nice wine pairing with that pizza is MD 20/20.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois' (2-1) Rushing Defense is #17 after three games. However, they have yet to play a P5 team.

Akron (0-3) Lost to Illinois 42-3. Akron Rushing Offense is ranked #129
UConn (1-1) Lost to Illinois 31-23. UConn Rushing Offense is ranked #102
E. Michigan (2-1) Beat Illinois 34-31. E. Michigan Rushing Offense is ranked #115

Walter's spent his 3rd week determined to get the anemic running game going. Does anyone think Nebraska's O-line looked better in the 3rd or 4th Q yesterday? I don't.
Still little to nothing between the tackles and Adrian running for his life after playing two G5's and one P5.
Nebraska's Rushing Offense is #68

Long way to go up-front and Walter's likely works on the run again Saturday.

Any word on Jaimes? AM says he doesn't think it's too bad, but doesn't know for sure.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois' (2-1) Rushing Defense is #17 after three games. However, they have yet to play a P5 team.

Akron (0-3) Lost to Illinois 42-3. Akron Rushing Offense is ranked #129
UConn (1-1) Lost to Illinois 31-23. UConn Rushing Offense is ranked #102
E. Michigan (2-1) Beat Illinois 34-31. E. Michigan Rushing Offense is ranked #115

Walter's spent his 3rd week determined to get the anemic running game going. Does anyone think Nebraska's O-line looked better in the 3rd or 4th Q yesterday? I don't.
Still little to nothing between the tackles and Adrian running for his life after playing two G5's and one P5.
Nebraska's Rushing Offense is #68

Long way to go up-front and Walter's likely works on the run again Saturday.

Any word on Jaimes? AM says he doesn't think it's too bad, but doesn't know for sure.

I don't want to be rude but if the Huskers lose to the Fumblin' Illini please leave the BigTen.:D

They just lost to one of those directional Michigan schools. And why can't a school like Illinois have a better pigskin program? It's not like the state is severly lacking in HS talent.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win here and moving to (3-1) would mean a lot for the Huskers in only needing 3 more wins between Ohio St, Northwestern, @ Minnesota, Indiana, @ Purdue, Wisconsin, @ Maryland, Iowa, to go bowling and getting a much needed 4 more weeks of practice for the youngin's going into 2020.

The nice thing is outside of Wisconsin and Iowa, the rest of the Big 10 West has played just as poorly.
8 total wins is still a possibility if Walters can get the running game going.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to be rude but if the Huskers lose to the Fumblin' Illini please leave the BigTen.:D

They just lost to one of those directional Michigan schools. And why can't a school like Illinois have a better pigskin program? It's not like the state is severly lacking in HS talent.

Like the rest of the Big 10 teams (not named Rutgers), they have $$$ now and lots of it. Hopefully they continue investing in their football program.
Football Performance Center Construction Tour

They proved with Lovie Smith they are not afraid to pay up for a HC. He's 12th highest paid at $5 million/year in 2019.
College Football Head Coach Salaries: Ranking Highest to Lowest Paid

Lovie's still got through Jan 31, 2022 remaining on his contract.
Lovie Smith contract at Illinois

However, his buyout following 2019 drops to $4 million, drops to $2 million after 2020, then $1 million for 2021 and 2022.
Lovie Smith's Illinois Contract: Salary, Buyout, and Bonuses

I think they eat the $4 million in December if Illinois doesn't go bowling.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the rest of the Big 10 teams (not named Rutgers), they have $$$ now and lots of it. Hopefully they continue investing in their football program.
Football Performance Center Construction Tour

They proved with Lovie Smith they are not afraid to pay up for a HC. He's 12th highest paid at $5 million/year in 2019.
College Football Head Coach Salaries: Ranking Highest to Lowest Paid

Lovie's still got through Jan 31, 2022 remaining on his contract.
Lovie Smith contract at Illinois

However, his buyout following 2019 drops to $4 million, drops to $2 million after 2020, then $1 million for 2021 and 2022.
Lovie Smith's Illinois Contract: Salary, Buyout, and Bonuses

I think they eat the $4 million in December if Illinois doesn't go bowling.

All very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska opened (-7.5) and quickly went to (-9.5)

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win here and moving to (3-1) would mean a lot for the Huskers in only needing 3 more wins between Ohio St, Northwestern, @ Minnesota, Indiana, @ Purdue, Wisconsin, @ Maryland, Iowa, to go bowling and getting a much needed 4 more weeks of practice for the youngin's going into 2020.

The nice thing is outside of Wisconsin and Iowa, the rest of the Big 10 West has played just as poorly.

After seeing Ohio State for 3 weeks now, Ohio State is going to slaughter Nebraska. Bet the Buckeyes and give the points.
Wisconsin is still a possible win and I give Nebraska a 10% chance of winning.
Iowa is still a possible win and I give Nebraska a 20% chance of winning.

Illinois I give Nebraska 65% chance to win
Northwestern is a W
Minnesota cannot keep getting lucky and does not look that good nebraska 60% chance to win
Indiana I give Nebraska the 75% chance to win
Purdue Purdue is not looking hot a QB is a problem, Nebraska 65% chance to win
Maryland has been exposed, nebraska 65% chance to win

Nebraska can go 8-4 but my dream of 10-2 is off the table.

We find out soon if Wisconsin and Iowa are b1G contenders or if they are just the best in the weak west.

Wisconsin has to play Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State(nebraska had this last year)
Iowa has to play Michigan and Penn State

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The longer these young kids play together, the better they should perform. One would think, anyway.
I get frustrated with them but I know that there is a serious lack of experience in the middle, so they are gonna struggle for a while. I just hope that it doesn't last all season long.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer these young kids play together, the better they should perform. One would think, anyway.
I get frustrated with them but I know that there is a serious lack of experience in the middle, so they are gonna struggle for a while. I just hope that it doesn't last all season long.

Me too.

On the plus side, at (2-1) they are farther along than they were last season at (0-3).

They only lost to Colorado by 3 points in OT. Would there be the same criticisms if they'd won and were now sitting (3-0)? I doubt it. The kool-aid would likely be flowing even though they are literally the same team with the same troubles.

My rose colored glasses tell me that Walters and Frost knew they had to work on the run game, so they used S. Alabama, the Colorado game, and the N. Illinois game like scrimmages. At 17-0 they got complacent and the Colorado game cost them. I expect more of the same determination to work on the run @ Illinois.
They could have come out against those teams and aired it out, but that wouldn't have gotten them anywhere when they're really going to need to run it later on.

They know if they can't run the ball and protect AM in the Ohio St game, they'll get blown out. So best to continue working on it now, while they can, no matter how ugly.

Going (5-1) in the next 6 games is realistic if that determination to run pays off. At the very minimum Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue are coin flips.

I think pretty much everybody would take (7-2) overall from the next 6 game stretch.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just need to win a game away from home. It something that hasn't happen for a little while. Don't care about the spread.