• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second Half of the Season Expectations

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's already time for the second half of the season. Here's what we got:

@Pittsburgh
@Washington
NYGiants
@Miami
Dallas
Pittsburgh
@Houston
Baltimore

Assuming Joe Burrow stays healthy, how many games do you predict we will win? I think we can all agree that if Burrow should go down, there really isn't much reason to even play the game.

The schedule doesn't look quite as easy as I thought it did at the beginning of the year. Games against Washington, New York, Dallas and Houston are all easily winnable games.... But, they are probably saying that about us as well. I can't see us beating Pittsburgh or Baltimore - They're just too good for us and the stakes are high. It's also hard to imagine us winning in Miami - They are looking like a legit threat to make a playoff run.

I'd say 4-4 would be a good mark here.... But If I was forced to take an over under on 3.5, I'd go with the under.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 3 wins sounds about right.

As far as expectation - for the OL it's to see what these new guys got going into next year.

For defense - well, they can't get that much worse - so....yeah. They have that going for them.

The biggest thing this team has to do at all cost - keep Burrow healthy. Really, if he gets out of the season without getting maimed, it would be a win at this point.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I think the D is looking at a complete coaching overhaul. In general, there are some interesting pieces to build around for whomever takes over the position. A few of these pieces didn't get to play much this season, but should be ready for next season. Hiring the right guy could lead to big improvements. I don't have much expectations for this group for the rest of the season.

I agree about the line. The offense is going to be ready to explode next year. They have to figure out what they need up front. A few investments here and there and this offense will be ready to roll next year.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the cowboys supposed to get a QB back? If not, I say 3 wins. We should beat Washington, Giants, Cowboys, and Houston, but we'll fuck up on one of those.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the cowboys supposed to get a QB back? If not, I say 3 wins. We should beat Washington, Giants, Cowboys, and Houston, but we'll fuck up on one of those.
You just know Dalton will be back by then...and you should also see Dalton beating the Bengals in his return to Cincy is almost a lock.

Reactions: gob

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy wins against the giants and washington
probably a close win against dallas
close loss against miami
definite loss to Houston (never beat them)
it’s possible Baltimore has nothing to play for and rests its stars in week 17 so if thats the case I give us 50/50 to win it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
close loss against miami
it’s possible Baltimore has nothing to play for and rests its stars in week 17 so if thats the case I give us 50/50 to win it.

I'm assuming the Ravens are still playing for the AFC-N... But I suppose Pittsburgh could wrap it up before week 17 if they keep winning. I agree about Houston - I'm sure they'll find some weird way to beat us.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here’s the thing about defense, aside from Pittsburgh, no one plays any defense. Almost every game hits the over and everyone scores in the 20’s.
So we dont need a top defense, we just need better coaching and a playmaker on the line. Someone that can (gasp) get to the quarterback and other teams have to worry about.
The linebackers are young and can’t be worse than any of the linebackers that have rolled through here over the years.
Bates is the playmaker in the secondary. Get a couple of decent corners. Let Jackson go, everytime I see him he’s ten yards behind his man.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
close loss against miami

I'm assuming the Ravens are still playing for the AFC-N... But I suppose Pittsburgh could wrap it up before week 17 if they keep winning. I agree about Houston - I'm sure they'll find some weird way to beat us.
True...I doubt Baltimore can win the division. Sitting starters might happen

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lik the thread and I like the participation. Not many people h ave been participating in threads lately, been kinda boring around here. With that said....

We do have some nic e pieces on defense to build around: Bates, Atkins (healthy), Reader, Hubbard.

I think the following guys have some promise: Wilson, Kareem, Phillips, Alexander.

It would have been nice to see what Waynes was able to b ring to this defense, but he will be back next year.

Let Jackson go, I am tired of his inconsistency. The rest of the guys, just filler can be easily replaced, minus Wilson who is a special teams ace.

Offensive line, I would like to see everyone get some time on that line to see who shows the most consistency. Cut Hart ($5.3 million). Let AJ Green ($18 million) walk, let Ross ($4.2 million) walk.

Honestly, I hope some of these crappy teams start winning, because I would love to see us in the top 8 drafting, because I think Burrow would be unstoppable with Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate running around in his empty backfields.

Of course that also m eans Burrow gets some protection, but I am thinking we could nab one offensive lineman from FA, spend around 12 million on him to cover RT. Hope the kid from Dallas comes back healthy and anchors that RG position. We just need to get the left side up to snuff. Which I think can be done between Williams, Johnson, Jordan, and Adeniji. I am okay with Hopkins and Price sharing time at center.

We need a new defensive coaching staff though, and if Zimmer happens to get fired, which I know it is terrible to hope for a guy you really like to get fired, but this is for selfish reasons only, he would be the guy I throw the bucks at to come here and turn this defense around again. The people of Cincinnati love Zimmer and he is the guy that really took us to those playoffs 5 years in a row. His defense and personnel is what carried us there even with Gunther reaping some of the rewards his couple years as D-Coord.

Fire Anarumo and his staff. Find true defensive coordinator that will improve the defense (praying it is Zimmer).

Draft WR Ja'Marr Chase in the first round.

In FA spend money on a RT and a DE to rush the QB.

That should be the top choices of our offseason

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lik the thread and I like the participation. Not many people h ave been participating in threads lately, been kinda boring around here. With that said....

We do have some nic e pieces on defense to build around: Bates, Atkins (healthy), Reader, Hubbard.

I think the following guys have some promise: Wilson, Kareem, Phillips, Alexander.

It would have been nice to see what Waynes was able to b ring to this defense, but he will be back next year.

Let Jackson go, I am tired of his inconsistency. The rest of the guys, just filler can be easily replaced, minus Wilson who is a special teams ace.

Offensive line, I would like to see everyone get some time on that line to see who shows the most consistency. Cut Hart ($5.3 million). Let AJ Green ($18 million) walk, let Ross ($4.2 million) walk.

Honestly, I hope some of these crappy teams start winning, because I would love to see us in the top 8 drafting, because I think Burrow would be unstoppable with Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate running around in his empty backfields.

Of course that also m eans Burrow gets some protection, but I am thinking we could nab one offensive lineman from FA, spend around 12 million on him to cover RT. Hope the kid from Dallas comes back healthy and anchors that RG position. We just need to get the left side up to snuff. Which I think can be done between Williams, Johnson, Jordan, and Adeniji. I am okay with Hopkins and Price sharing time at center.

We need a new defensive coaching staff though, and if Zimmer happens to get fired, which I know it is terrible to hope for a guy you really like to get fired, but this is for selfish reasons only, he would be the guy I throw the bucks at to come here and turn this defense around again. The people of Cincinnati love Zimmer and he is the guy that really took us to those playoffs 5 years in a row. His defense and personnel is what carried us there even with Gunther reaping some of the rewards his couple years as D-Coord.

Fire Anarumo and his staff. Find true defensive coordinator that will improve the defense (praying it is Zimmer).

Draft WR Ja'Marr Chase in the first round.

In FA spend money on a RT and a DE to rush the QB.

That should be the top choices of our offseason
I would say, I think Atkins is gone. Probably need to find another DT either in the draft or F/A - and I would say there is a need for more pass-rush from the DE with Dunlap gone. There are depth needs across the DL.

Agreed with Jackson - I just don't see why he hasn't improved from his early seasons. Maybe it's scheme. If the DC goes, and the new DC thinks he can work with him, I'd give it a shot.

The OL has to be a priority in F/A. Period. If they go into next year with what they have, and maybe a draft pick - they are failing Burrow.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
win one we're not supposed to, lose one we should have won. so about 3 or 4 wins.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several Bengal writers and fans call Jessie Bates the best safety in the NFL. Isn't this a bit premature? I mean, I like him a lot but he can't be the best, right?

I'm okay with Jackson leaving. I feel like someone will overpay him, though it seems like high-paid corners are going out of style in the NFL. I think we need to get a new staff and decide on a defensive philosophy. Then we'll know what sort of cover guys are needed. With Marvin, he always wanted tall corners and interchangable safeties. The blitz packages dreamed up by Zimmer and Guenther made Marvin's defense work in Cincinnati. Now we just look like a team with no identity and no way of maximizing the talent that is in the building. We need a reboot.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several Bengal writers and fans call Jessie Bates the best safety in the NFL. Isn't this a bit premature? I mean, I like him a lot but he can't be the best, right?

I'm okay with Jackson leaving. I feel like someone will overpay him, though it seems like high-paid corners are going out of style in the NFL. I think we need to get a new staff and decide on a defensive philosophy. Then we'll know what sort of cover guys are needed. With Marvin, he always wanted tall corners and interchangable safeties. The blitz packages dreamed up by Zimmer and Guenther made Marvin's defense work in Cincinnati. Now we just look like a team with no identity and no way of maximizing the talent that is in the building. We need a reboot.

hard not to bring in a good DC that isn't more qualified to be HC than our HC

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard not to bring in a good DC that isn't more qualified to be HC than our HC
I don't disagree, but let's at least give ZT some credit - despite the woeful OL and early season game calling, he has the offense rolling under Burrow. He's at least getting that part right.

I guess the defense shouldn't have been a surprise when it's your 6th choice for the position. I'd hire anyone of note to come in and revamp this defense and a guy like Zimmer could do that while still playing to the strengths of what the team currently has.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could settle on an offensive line combo that isn't trash, that would help a lot.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say calling him the best in the NFL is for sure a stretch. I would say he might be top 5, maybe? Either way, he is pretty good, and the only guy on our defense that is capable of making any plays it seems like. He is a sure tackler. If the rest of our players tackled like Bates we wouldn't be quite as bad as we are. We need a pass rush and better tackling. However, our biggest issue on defense is scheme. Our guys always seem out of position for the play the offense calls. 3rd and 4, we have a DB or safety playing 10 yards off the WR. Quick slant where the LB is supposed to pick up zone coverage and the WR runs right by him like they are standing still, first down, tackled 10 yards up field by Bates. If not for Jesse Bates, we would be averaging giving up 40 points a game.

Anarumo has got to go, and our offensive line coach has got to find a consistent set of lineman that will protect Burrow, regardless of where they were drafted or whether they are sucking his D like Bobby Hart is. Consistent line play, more pressure by our defense. That is what we need more than anything.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF loves Bates - but they do mention he is not used a ton in man coverage, which probably really helps off-set some negative plays/ratings.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF loves Bates - but they do mention he is not used a ton in man coverage, which probably really helps off-set some negative plays/ratings.

Don't get me wrong - I like the guy. And I hope he anchors the secondary for years. I just never watch him play D and think to myself that I'm watching the best safety in football.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong - I like the guy. And I hope he anchors the secondary for years. I just never watch him play D and think to myself that I'm watching the best safety in football.
True, but to be fair, it's hard to see what is good around any player that is surrounded by that dumpster fire that is the Bengals defense...LOL