• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC officials?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently SEC officials last night in Happy Valley were attempting the NCAA football referee version of hitting for the cycle.

You simply deprive the opposing team of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down all within one game.

I'm not sure if they got there, but it was certainly close.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently SEC officials last night in Happy Valley were attempting the NCAA football referee version of hitting for the cycle.

You simply deprive the opposing team of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th down all within one game.

They were horrible. They couldn't count to four and what is worse IMHO is that they were wildly inconsistent with calls all night. I am glad that both teams overcame that bullshit and kept playing hard. Props to PSU for getting the game out of the refs' hands.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the intentionial grounding when the WR made a mistake on the route

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the intentionial grounding when the WR made a mistake on the route
Ah yes, I'm not sure which down that took away from Penn State, but it was alarming, nonetheless.

I can't in my life of watching football ever remember intentional grounding being called on a qb that wasn't under pressure and on a ball that sailed deep because the wr clearly cut off his route way early. It's like punishing a qb and wr double for not being on the same page.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes, I'm not sure which down that took away from Penn State, but it was alarming, nonetheless.

I can't in my life of watching football ever remember intentional grounding being called on a qb that wasn't under pressure and on a ball that sailed deep because the wr clearly cut off his route way early. It's like punishing a qb and wr double for not being on the same page.
This is a story about a State playoff game in Illinois in 2019. With 4 seconds left in the game the clock is stopped. Team is leading by 1 point and it is 4th down with the ball on their own 7 yard line. The coach knows he can't take a safety, and does not want to kick. So he says to the QB to take the snap, he has one receiver out in flank who is supposed to run deep. The QB is told to throw the ball as far and high as he can down the middle of the field. The receiver is knocked down at the line of scrimmage but the QB is not even looking at him and does as he is told throwing the ball about 50 yards in the air.. The four seconds runs off the clock and the game is over. But wait, there is a flag. Referee calls intentional grounding as there is no receiver downfield. Loss of down and turnover on downs. Ball is given to the opposing team at the 7 with one play. They kick a field goal and win the game and move on.
Later in the week the ISHA apologizes to the losing team. The referees blew the call in many ways. The QB was not under duress, therefore not intentional grounding (similar to an obvious foul in basketball to put a team at the line is not considered an intentional foul even though the refs can hear the coach telling his team which guy to foul immediately). If that was intentional grounding then so would spiking the ball be a foul requiring a run off of 10 seconds)
Second, big error was the fact that while a game cannot end on a defensive penalty, it can end on an offensive penalty.
Of course, the game is over and there is nothing that can be done even though the field goal occurred when the game should have been officially over.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Referees often affect the game with incorrect application of the rules. In the Purdue /ND game this occurred it ended up moot, but it was glaring.

ND running back on third down dove for the 1st down marker, runner was in bounds. Refs gave the first down. Purdue called time out to challenge.
The call was reversed. No first down, and now 4th and inches. Purdue gets the time out back. Ref says clock will start on the snap. Kelly is seen arguing with the ref that since the ball was inbounds, the clock should either start on the ready for play or Purdue needed to call the time out. The ref said no. Effectively, allowing Purdue an extra time out even though the player was in bounds at the end of the play.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they cost Mississippi St to lose to Memphis?

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they cost Mississippi St to lose to Memphguts.
Possibly.

They were especially bad a not only blown calls this weekend but a couple of penalties fell in the WTF category.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad we weren't involved this time. It's going to keep happening until there are actual consequences though...not just an apology. With how much money college football makes they have to invest in better officiating. It becomes impossible for teams who are at the bottom to make any headway when they have wins taken away from them.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least Oklahoma and Texas won't have much change in officiating when they transition to the SEC.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just glad we weren't involved this time. It's going to keep happening until there are actual consequences though...not just an apology. With how much money college football makes they have to invest in better officiating. It becomes impossible for teams who are at the bottom to make any headway when they have wins taken away from them.

I remember that Florida game. The Piggies got robbed.