• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC Fatigue

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never in my life have I wanted USC to be good but screw it.

If Riley could channel CPC for just 1 year and then fuck off to the NFL, I'd be okay with it.

A whole bunch of people have forgotten how terrifying USC can be. ASU is basically 500 against USC... except when they're coached by Pete Carroll. Then we got dumpstered over and over again.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expand the playoffs to 8 and if the finals are 2 SEC teams then all talk of favoritism goes out the window.
I'm actually ok with the Final being two SEC teams. They were obviously the two best teams and the SEC on average produces 1-2 of the Top 4 teams every year. What I get tired of is the middle of the SEC all getting overrated every year simply because they are a part of the SEC. A couple SEC teams play a tough ooc game almost every year, maybe even two, but for the most part the majority of SEC teams play 3 really crappy teams every ooc, and all stay overrated for winning all those games and then get rated even higher if they beat each other. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams, and they'll figure out a way to get 3 SEC teams in. If they expand and then make a rule like no more than 2 from any one conference, or honestly, they should limit the playoffs to only Conf Champs, because then the SEC wouldn't be able to collect up all of the best recruits. If college football ever wants to see diversity at the top, that will only happen when the best players don't see the only route to the playoffs/Natl Title being through one conference and 2 or 3 other programs(Clemson/OSU lately). Thing is the powers that be would never agree to just one team per conference in the playoffs and even if only the SEC didn't agree, the SEC, especially now with Texas & Oklahoma moving in, it is by far the most influential conference

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually ok with the Final being two SEC teams. They were obviously the two best teams and the SEC on average produces 1-2 of the Top 4 teams every year. What I get tired of is the middle of the SEC all getting overrated every year simply because they are a part of the SEC. A couple SEC teams play a tough ooc game almost every year, maybe even two, but for the most part the majority of SEC teams play 3 really crappy teams every ooc, and all stay overrated for winning all those games and then get rated even higher if they beat each other. Expand the playoffs to 8 teams, and they'll figure out a way to get 3 SEC teams in. If they expand and then make a rule like no more than 2 from any one conference, or honestly, they should limit the playoffs to only Conf Champs, because then the SEC wouldn't be able to collect up all of the best recruits. If college football ever wants to see diversity at the top, that will only happen when the best players don't see the only route to the playoffs/Natl Title being through one conference and 2 or 3 other programs(Clemson/OSU lately). Thing is the powers that be would never agree to just one team per conference in the playoffs and even if only the SEC didn't agree, the SEC, especially now with Texas & Oklahoma moving in, it is by far the most influential conference
I do agree going with the P5 conf champs and the AAC which makes 6 so more or less the 2 conf losers of the sec/B10 would probably get the nod since they're usually ranked pretty high unless ND makes one of those runs.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree going with the P5 conf champs and the AAC which makes 6 so more or less the 2 conf losers of the sec/B10 would probably get the nod since they're usually ranked pretty high unless ND makes one of those runs.

The transfer portal and NIL (especially) are going to change the landscape of the conferences. Those that have multiple schools in big cities will benefit the most.
It is possible the PAC 12 will benefit the most from the NIL system. Los Angeles (two schools), San Francisco area (two schools), Seattle, Phoenix and Denver.
Big 10 may be next with Chicago, Minneapolis, Columbus, Detroit (Ann Arbor), and Newark/New York (Rutgers).
The ACC with Atlanta (Georgia Tech), the triangle around Charlette, Miami might do well.
Over time the Big 12 will be weak although Houston and Cincinnati will help.
The SEC could suffer, but the addition of Austin will help.
The point is sponsors, especially local ones, are going to support players where there is enough population to justify big expenditure. That money will draw the players. The top 10 or twelve players will draw national endorsements but only as long as their teams keep them in the spotlight.

ND could be a big winner with its NBC TV contact and national schedule. Every year they will play games in all four time zones, big national sponsors will like that.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fun facts:

Since the College Football Playoff began with the 2014 season, Alabama has won the Championship game three times. They have also lost three times, four times if you count the time they lost to Ohio State in the first round.

The Big10 has won the Championship once (Ohio State). The ACC has won twice (Clemson). The SEC has won five times (Alabama 3, LSU 1, Georgia 1).

If you expand to include the BCS era, the Pac12 has won once (USC). The Big12 has won twice (Oklahoma, Texas). The Big10 has won twice (Ohio State). The ACC has won five times (Clemson 2, Florida State 2, Miami 1).

The SEC has won 14 times. (Alabama 6, LSU 3, Florida 2, Georgia 1, Auburn 1, Tennessee 1). The SEC teams that are not Alabama have won more times (eight) than any other conference.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fun facts:

Since the College Football Playoff began with the 2014 season, Alabama has won the Championship game three times. They have also lost three times, four times if you count the time they lost to Ohio State in the first round.

The Big10 has won the Championship once (Ohio State). The ACC has won twice (Clemson). The SEC has won five times (Alabama 3, LSU 1, Georgia 1).

If you expand to include the BCS era, the Pac12 has won once (USC). The Big12 has won twice (Oklahoma, Texas). The Big10 has won twice (Ohio State). The ACC has won five times (Clemson 2, Florida State 2, Miami 1).

The SEC has won 14 times. (Alabama 6, LSU 3, Florida 2, Georgia 1, Auburn 1, Tennessee 1). The SEC teams that are not Alabama have won more times (eight) than any other conference.

It’s an honest mistake, but quite a few people want to lump Miami’s BCS title in 2001 as an ACC member, which they were not.

Miami was in the Big East, and didn’t join the ACC until the 2004 season.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....What I get tired of is the middle of the SEC all getting overrated every year simply because they are a part of the SEC. A couple SEC teams play a tough ooc game almost every year, maybe even two, but for the most part the majority of SEC teams play 3 really crappy teams every ooc, and all stay overrated for winning all those games and then get rated even higher if they beat each other....
Please elaborate on these statements including which SEC teams and which years you think they were "overrated" so I can compare them to Minnesota/Big Ten schools in an appropriate manner.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony of people being against expanding the playoff and saying " Bama and UGA were clearly the 2 best teams" all while conveniently ignoring the fact UGA wouldnt even have gotten to play forvthe title less than a decade ago....

Good stuff

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s an honest mistake, but quite a few people want to lump Miami’s BCS title in 2001 as an ACC member, which they were not.

Good catch.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple SEC teams play a tough ooc game almost every year, maybe even two, but for the most part the majority of SEC teams play 3 really crappy teams every ooc, and all stay overrated for winning all those games and then get rated even higher if they beat each other.

It's true that most SEC teams schedule two or three cupcakes every year, but EVERYBODY in the major conferences does that. They're always home games for the major conference team and the cupcake gets to split the take from 100,000 seat stadium, which finances not only the football team, but most of their athletic budget. Without it, many of the smaller schools would have to drop football altogether.

I once read an interview with a player from one of LSU's cupcakes. He said it was enlightening because it dispelled any notions he may have had about playing in the NFL when he played players who were going to play in the NFL. It also gave him a chance to one day tell his grandkids that he tackled Leonard Fournette. By then his three teammates who had gotten there first would be forgotten.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony of people being against expanding the playoff and saying " Bama and UGA were clearly the 2 best teams" all while conveniently ignoring the fact UGA wouldnt even have gotten to play forvthe title less than a decade ago....

Good stuff
What???

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The national title game this year wouldve been

Bama vs Michigan under the old system

The only reason UGA won the title is because they expanded from 2 to 4

Most years 1 of the top 2 teams wins but not every year

If we expanded further the aame would be true. Most years 1 or 2 would win. However there would be years 5/6/7/8 would win

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is utter BS. Why don't we just put all the college names in a hat and pull one out and anoint them Champion? Teams should have to EARN their positions in any playoff. If you are going to have auto bids for conference champs then all of the conferences and independents should have auto bids since the other 9 conferences plus independents OUT-PERFORMED the PAC. The supposed goal of the CFP committee was to find the BEST 4 teams for the playoff and not just pick conference champs. If your conference champ can't EARN its way into the playoff then it's just too bad.

The problem with college football is that there aren't enough OOC games involving the better teams in the regular season. In 2021 there were a total of 39 OOC games played during the regular season between P5 teams, but exactly 3 OOC games were played between P5 teams that ended up in the top 25 (ND vs Wisc, ND vs Purdue, and Georgia vs Clemson). That's ridiculous! There isn't enough MEANINGFUL data to link the various conferences to each other to decide which are the "best" teams. Every P5 team should be required to play TWO OOC P5 opponents every year and ONE should be against a "peer" (i.e., PAC 12 #3 vs Big Ten # 1-5). Also, every team must play ONE G5 team which is of similar conference ranking (i.e., SEC #3 vs AAC # 2-4, notice narrower closer span). This would provide about 68 games between P5 teams and about 65 games between P5 and G5 teams.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fun facts:

Great catch Triton and don't feel bad Nate, I was busted doing that exact count two days ago.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....What I get tired of is the middle of the SEC all getting overrated every year simply because they are a part of the SEC. A couple SEC teams play a tough ooc game almost every year, maybe even two, but for the most part the majority of SEC teams play 3 really crappy teams every ooc, and all stay overrated for winning all those games and then get rated even higher if they beat each other....

I really want to understand your point, but this makes no sense to me. When you say "overrated" do you mean "overranked"? You say that the "middle of the SEC all getting overrated", but there are 14 teams in the SEC so the "middle of the SEC" would be teams 6-9. How many times have teams 6-9 been ranked? If they aren't ranked what measure are you using to say they are "overrated"?