• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ San Diego Charger

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I slept in last week, and the game thread was made. Can't sleep this week (shouldn't've taken that 4 hour nap this afternoon), so I guess I'll just make it now. So, in honor of last year's threads, here's my overview of the upcoming game.

Positives:

Percy Harvin - Last week was a showcase of how the Seahawks will be using Harvin, which appears to be very similar to how the Vikings used him when Bevell was there. The jet sweep will kill you, though I'm not sure the Chargers will be caught as off guard with him motioning to the RB spot (Green Bay just didn't seem to know what to do about that). I wouldn't be surprised to see the play 2-3 times (they did average 10.3 yards an attempt), but I also wouldn't be surprised to not see it at all (make the Chargers prepare for something that they won't even see). He's a very dangerous weapon.

OLine - Last week was one of the better OLine performances in a long time, maybe since Hutch left. Granted, it was against the Packers, who despite their fans' reassurances that their defenses was gonna be a top 5 (and some seemed to think better than the Hawks) defense this season, they really weren't that great. If Lynch, Harvin, Turbin and Wilson get the same holes/protection they got last week, the Chargers are done.

Bobby Wagner - Probably the most underrated player on the Seahawks defense, his play really leads the D. He lead the team in tackles last year (154) while missing 2 games, and had 14 last week. He was second last year on the D in approximate value (11) behind Richard Sherman. He's unsung, and if the Hawks want to dominate the Chargers O, then they have to stop the run, and that's where Wagner has his most value.

Negatives:

Marcus Burley/Josh Thomas - I have nothing against either of them, but the fact that either is on the team just shows how different the depth at CB is this season compared to last. Lane going down was a worst case scenario for the LOB, so these two will have to man that spot well. Burley played ok there against the Packers, so we'll have to see what he does today. I was happy with the Thomas signing, and maybe he becomes the next man up that Lane and Maxwell were last year.

Phillip Rivers - He's Tony Romo without the negative reputation. He'll single-handedly throw you into a game, and throw you out of it. People do seem to forget that first one though. I highly doubt that the Chargers receivers will have the drops they had against Arizona. If the Seahawk pass rush cannot get pressure on him, it could be a long day for those injury depleted DBs.

Size - The Charger's OLine is just massive, all five are listed at 300 or more, with only the center (Rich Ohrnberg) listed less than 320. The Seahawks are not that big (I think someone posted this week that Seattle was the lightest team in the NFL. The DLine isn't the big concern, but they will have to keep these big boys off our linebackers. Maybe even bring in Scruggs to be the Bryant-type end on run downs to help bulk up the line, and keep the holes for Matthews smaller.

Matchups:

Keenan Allen vs. Richard Sherman - Are the Chargers going to do the same thing that the Packers did with Nelson and make Allen and Floyd line up on the right side every play? If not, how often is Sherman targeted? The mind game between Sherman and the leagues' offensive coordinators started last week, and Sherman definitely won that round.

Injuries -
Both teams are going to be missing players, but the Chargers appear to be more banged up than the Hawks. 6 of their defensive players are on their injury report, the most notable are Brandon Flowers (Q), Sean Lissemore (P) and Corey Luiget (P). Though people know how physical the Seahawk D is, they tend to forget just how physical the O can be. With the improved play of guys like James Carpenter, this could be a long day on those not 100% ankles.

TEs vs. LBs - Bobby Wagner's athletic play running with Randall Cobb last week just shows how athletic our LBs are. Last year, they shut Jimmy Graham down twice, and they play Vernon Davis twice a year. Antonio Gates has been one of the best for many years, and Rivers' favorite security blanket, and I really like Ladarius Green coming out of college (guy is just an athletic freak). If the Seahawks linebackers can hold up against these TEs, then it could help get them off the field quicker.

Overview:

People have been saying there isn't anyone on the Chargers that scares them, but I don't entirely agree. The Chargers don't seem to have anyone who is that big play threat, but they do have the guys that are needed to sustain long drives, which the Seahawks have been known to give up from time to time. Seattle needs to keep them in 3rd and long, and get off the field (a few turnovers would help). Talent wise, Seattle is much better, and if they come at this game with the every game is a championship mentality, then they should be fine.

Seattle 35, San Diego 13

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for chapter 2 of our first undefeated season! It seems like forever ago that we played the Packers. I'm not sure how I will survive our bye week.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the pregame shows this morning just sickens me. For every 5 minutes of actually talking about the football that is happening today, there's 35 mnutes of crap over the Ray Rice, Ray McDonald, Greg Hardy and Adrian Peterson situations. If the fans don't know what has happened with these players, then they've been under a rock. How long can people express outrage? Hey, guys, I watch to see football, not to be instructed on social issues. It's not just ESPN, it's all of them, and it's ridiculous.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early games underway, just 3 hours til kickoff.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I see a huge blowout in this one. Seattle SHOULD win, but they absolutely cannot come out flat. If they can get the run game going and keep Rivers off the field they'll be in good shape.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blstoker that is some major disrespect to the Chargers with that score. Don't get me wrong i would love to see a blow out but i just don't see it coming. Chargers are between a rock and a hard place after losing their opening road game. Since 2008 the Chargers are 10-7 after a road loss and playing at home, and 4-2 at home after there FIRST road loss of the season since 2008.

They do play better after a loss and if it was their first "road loss" of the season then they even play better still.

Just some food for thought.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blstoker that is some major disrespect to the Chargers with that score. Don't get me wrong i would love to see a blow out but i just don't see it coming. Chargers are between a rock and a hard place after losing their opening road game. Since 2008 the Chargers are 10-7 after a road loss and playing at home, and 4-2 at home after there FIRST road loss of the season since 2008.

They do play better after a loss and if it was their first "road loss" of the season then they even play better still.

Just some food for thought.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Interesting facts on the Chargers there. You're right though, can't take them lightly. Look at what the Browns are doing to NO right now. Nobody saw that coming.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting facts on the Chargers there. You're right though, can't take them lightly. Look at what the Browns are doing to NO right now. Nobody saw that coming.

I kinda thought about it earlier. Seeing as the Saints are complete shit on the road.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true, but remember, they haven't beaten a team with a top 10 defense in those games. The 2014 Seahawks are not the 2013 Cowboys. Also, it's more that I just think that the Seahawks are just flat out better than the Chargers, both on the field and the coaching staff. Add in a short week, versus a long week; and that the Cardinals exploited the defense on Monday pretty bad. Also, the fact that half their defense seems already dinged up....

I won't be surprised by a close game, but I'm confident that the Seahawks are much better than the Chargers. Anything can happen, but I just don't think the Chargers have the personnel to keep it close if the Seahawks play at their level (though there is always the fear that they'll play down to the competition).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Minnesota vs. New England, man Cassell can't get any help, at least 6 dropped passes including 1 that was picked....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-minus 4 minutes....Let's get this started.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start with the ball

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's do this. GO HAWKS!!!!

Seattle%20Seahawks%20Flag.gif

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A penalty already....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MILLER

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns beat the Saints.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playcalling has been a lot better this year.

I'm looking forward to an exciting offense this year, they've looked a lot improved.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad drop by Lockette there, that could've been picked off when it was in the air. Seahawks got lucky there.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kearse!!!!