• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Minnesota Vikings

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Russell Wilson - Wilson has had the best season of any quarterback in Seahawk history, crushing nearly every important passing statistic in team history. He's shown himself to be deadly inside the pocket, while maintaining his threat outside as well. He may not win the MVP, but no quarterback in the league has been better than Russell Wilson.

Swarming Backers - Our linebackers are some of the fastest in the league, and they are as skilled as any. Wagner, Wright and Irvin make up a LBing corps that can make all the plays all over the field, while not giving up ground to power backs like Peterson. This unit will need to be sure tacklers and not allow Peterson extra yardage.

Legion of Boom - The Seahawks defense is built a lot more evenly than people give them credit for, what with the Legion's reputation as the best backfield in the NFL. With Bridgewater's lack of skill passing the ball this season, the LOB will need to capitalize on their opportunities and not allow Bridgewater any slack with easy completions.

Negatives:

Revenge - The Seahawks humilitated the Vikings on their home field just 5 weeks ago - putting up 400 yards of offense while limiting the Vikings to a season low 125. Though a win, the Seahawks gave up 409 yards to the Saints at home after similarly humiliating them 5 weeks earlier. Minnesota may not have the potent offense of the Saints of that season, but the motivation to amend for that game is high.

Adrian Peterson - Speaking of that blow out a month ago - Adrian Peterson had the worst game of the season (and 3rd worst of his career). He was extremely frustrated, and with the weather report what it is, he'll likely get a great chance to make a difference.

Linval Joseph - In a game where the running attack will be very important, Joseph is a load to handle right up the middle. He missed the last matchup between these two teams, If Seattle want to run the ball to the heart of this defense, they're gonna have to handle Joseph first (and Barr second).

Nuetral:

Weather - I have heard a lot of Vikings fans express confidence that the Seahawks won't be able to handle the cold, and they will. Personally, I don't think that the Vikings have much of an advantage here. It isn't like they've had any more time to acclimate themselves to the weather - as just yesterday the temperatures were in the mid 30s. It'll be cold, but the drop in temperature will be 30+ degrees for both teams, not just the visitors. Add to the fact that Seattle has the better defense (both overall and against the run) and the better running offense, and the conditions show that Seattle should be able to travel and the weather shouldn't be the cause of any loss that may or may not come.

Officials - The NFL has been plagued this year with some really bad officiating, and I don't know if we're just noticing it more, or if they really have been that much worse than in the past. Minnesota was on the short end of the stick last meeting, but it's a toss up if either, both or neither team will find themselves having to overcome the zebras.

Tyler Lockett vs. Corderelle Patterson - These two men have a lot in common. They are both very fast kick off returners who were 1st team All - Pros as rookies. With the weather possibly going to play a part in how deep kickoffs go, both could have some opportunities to do some damage in the return game. Patterson has a career 30.1 KOR average (2nd all time to Gale Sayer's 30.6) and he returned one to the house against this Seahawks team. Lockett lead the NFL in total return yards this season (1231) and also had a big return his only opportunity in week 13 (47 yards).

Matchups:

Doug Baldwin vs. Captain Munnerlyn - Baldwin is having what is arguably the best season for a Seahawks WR since Steve Largent's 1984 campaign, and 12 of his team record 14 TDs came from the slot (tied NFL record). As the primary nickel defender, Munnerlyn will be the one asked to shadow Baldwin inside, and when not covering Baldwin he won't find life any easier taking on the speedy, sure-handed Lockett.

Michael Bennett/Cliff Avril vs. Matt Kalil/TJ Clemmings - The Seahawks DL has been dominate most of the season, and especially the last 10 weeks. Both DEs for Seattle are having great years, combining for 99 tackles and 19 sacks, and they are always in the backfield. If Minnesota want to get an offense going, it's gonna start with blocking these two players, but it won't end there - as Seattle has a potent DL that can wreck any play.

Russell Okung vs. Everson Griffin - Okung is coming off missing the last two games due to a strained calf, Griffin has been battling some injury issues of his own (shoulder). Okung will have his hands full with Griffin protecting Russell's blind side, as Griffin has 22.5 sacks the last 2 seasons, and had 2 last week against the Packers.

Overview:

If this was a neutral field with perfect conditions, I would take Seattle in a heartbeat. Heck, even as an away game with good conditions, I'd still take Seattle in a heartbeat. But, with the conditions the way they are supposed to be, it'll be whoever responds to the conditions better. Seattle has the better team, and they have been playing better, but in weather like this it all depends on who can adjust and who can't. I still think Seattle should win this, but games like this tend to have some unexpected bounces.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I did this a little early (I usually wait until at least past midnight) but I really want to discuss the game, and not just Lynch. We're looking at a game that should be a mismatch - but adjustments to conditions need to be made for the game to be a win. Cold can be the great equalizer if the Seahawks let it be.

The Seahawks have been a run to establish the pass team for years, but this game is gonna have to be pass to establish the run. If Seattle can't pass in the conditions then we're looking at 9-10 man boxes and reducing the game to 3 yards and a cloud of frost. At the same time, the D has to tackle well and not give Bridgewater any chance to think he can have success against them.

Seattle slapped the Vikings hard a few weeks ago, but that just means that the Vikings may be extra motivated to return the favor. It also means that the Seahawks may be able to break them if they get up big early.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
high of 2 degrees.....I think this will be a low scoring game.....13-10 Vikings. will be interested in seeing how Seattle deals with the freezing temps.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna sleep tonight....

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope that both sides show more class than what just happened between the Bengals and Steelers. Who wants to watch a game where the team that gets away with the most cheap shots and injures the most opponents win? I don't. I don't want to watch grown men fucking up their brains for my entertainment. That's why I stopped watching boxing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope that both sides show more class than what just happened between the Bengals and Steelers. Who wants to watch a game where the team that gets away with the most cheap shots and injures the most opponents win? I don't. I don't want to watch grown men fucking up their brains for my entertainment. That's why I stopped watching boxing.
That game was a disgrace.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this game comes down to which kicker handles kicking bricks the best. I don't expect to see many field goal attempts by either team unless they're chip shots, but kickoffs might be an issue. My main concern, should the Seahawks win the game, is coming out of it relatively healthy.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
high of 2 degrees.....I think this will be a low scoring game.....13-10 Vikings. will be interested in seeing how Seattle deals with the freezing temps.

I don't think it's that simple. It isn't like Minnesota has been freezing all winter. As pointed out in the write up, Minneapolis was in the mid 30s yesterday - so it isn't like the Vikings are any more acclimated to the weather than the Seahawks. Hell, a week ago Seattle had highs below freezing. Both teams are going to have to deal with a temperature drop of 32 degrees in 2 days. I just don't know if Minnesota is gonna be any more acclimated to the conditions than the Seahawks are - so it really will be just about who can adjust to the weather better.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hell, a week ago Seattle had highs below freezing."

Below freezing and TWO degrees is a big difference....it will be below zero by games end....we will see how things turn out

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been about the same temps here in the Seattle are as Minny lately. Hawks practice either outside or inside in a non-heated metal building.

I say 24-6, Hawks. I had 27-6 until Lynch was out.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hell, a week ago Seattle had highs below freezing."

Below freezing and TWO degrees is a big difference....it will be below zero by games end....we will see how things turn out

That's the point. Minnesota hasn't been much colder than Seattle until today. With the game tomorrow, it isn't like they've been trudging through 2 degree weather for a month. I'm not saying Seattle can adjust to the cold because it was 30 degrees a bit ago, I'm just saying that assuming that Minnesota will based solely on the fact that they're in Minnesota is ignoring that Minneosta hasn't been this cold all season, so it's not like they've had more practice at handling it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had the same thought. I think it'll be fine though. For one thing, this isn't a division rivalry or a rivalry of any kind really, so there shouldn't be any bad blood between the two teams like there is with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Even so, after watching the stupidity that went on tonight, I'm sure both coaches will be told before the game that that kind of crap is not going to be tolerated and that that message will be relayed to the players whether it needs to be or not. I also can't see Vikings fans cheering an injury to one of our players or getting so pissed off about an officiating call or penalty that they'd throw anything onto the field.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson.

RW is the key to this game. RW is a manager of EVENTS. And RW will manage the weather better than ANYONE else in the game 12 hours from now.

Things like bad weather don't bother RW. He is in control. He has done his DD, and RW will be ready.

I expect a BIG run play from the read option. Be it RW reads it and CM goes for 60+TD, or RW keeps and goes for 60+TD. I see this being a big play tomorrow.

Do the Minny fans have as much confidence in TB?

RW cleary has the QB advantage.
Defense will be top notch on both sides (except the BIG play).

Seattle led 7-0, with just over 2 min left in the half. A penalty helped, but they may have scored a TD anyway. Turned out being 21-0 at half, but just as easily could have been 10-0.

Bring your BIG game RW, we need it. Go Hawks.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 hours of sleep the past two nights. Play the damn game so I can sleep!

24-13 Hawks

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just not seeing how the vikings score enough points to win this game. The cold weather seems like a canard for hawks haters who dont want us to win.

We have to really shit the bed to lose this game, turnovers, special teams breakdowns, redzone failures. Dont see inexperienced bridgewater doing much.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do these analyst keep focusing on saying, "Russell Wilson hasn't played in this cold of weather before"? Last I checked, almost everybody on that field, including coaches hasn't played in weather this cold before... Didn't RW play for Wisconsin? Isn't it cold there during football season? It's not like he's coming from sunny California... LOL...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do these analyst keep focusing on saying, "Russell Wilson hasn't played in this cold of weather before"? Last I checked, almost everybody on that field, including coaches hasn't played in weather this cold before... Didn't RW play for Wisconsin? Isn't it cold there during football season? It's not like he's coming from sunny California... LOL...

Seattle's greatest advantage in this game is their passing game. Both teams are very good at running the ball, both teams have very good defenses, but Minnesota isn't passing like Seattle does. If Russell performs then you get that advantage. If not, then the game is basically one dimensional for both offenses - and it becomes who makes the fewest mistakes. Once again, Russell is looked on as either this teams reason for winning, or he's their kryptonite.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson.

RW is the key to this game. RW is a manager of EVENTS. And RW will manage the weather better than ANYONE else in the game 12 hours from now.

Things like bad weather don't bother RW. He is in control. He has done his DD, and RW will be ready.

I expect a BIG run play from the read option. Be it RW reads it and CM goes for 60+TD, or RW keeps and goes for 60+TD. I see this being a big play tomorrow.

Do the Minny fans have as much confidence in TB?

RW cleary has the QB advantage.
Defense will be top notch on both sides (except the BIG play).

Seattle led 7-0, with just over 2 min left in the half. A penalty helped, but they may have scored a TD anyway. Turned out being 21-0 at half, but just as easily could have been 10-0.

Bring your BIG game RW, we need it. Go Hawks.

If he pulls this crap will it be flag-worthy?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did play for Wisconsin, but their season was over in November every year and I can't imagine it got anywhere near below zero that time of year. You're right, though... they're conveniently ignoring that there's a good chance that nobody on the field for either team has played in below zero temps before. Why they're choosing to focus on Wilson specifically makes no sense.