• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Chris Carson - Injury concerns aside, Carson has had a great season to this point. He's handled the workload well, and will be tested by the 7th ranked run defense. Carson (as well as Davis and Penny) will need to have a good day, or the offense will sputter, that's kind've what happens when the running game is the focal point of the offense.

Russell Wilson - Wilson's having a better year than he's been getting credit for, he's just been inconsistent in ways that fans aren't used to seeing. We're coming into the part of the season where he generally plays extremely well - and the team needs him to be great if they want to make the run at the playoffs.

Bobby Wagner - Wagner has been up and down this season, possibly trying to make up for an inexperienced line and holes in the linebacker lineup. He needs to be at his best as Seattle has to limit the running game in ways they haven't been consistent at this season and put the game in Cam Newton's arm.

Negatives:

Christian McCaffrey - Having a break out season, McCaffery has been a huge part of the Carolina offense. Seattle has struggled a great deal with running backs catching passes out of the backfield, and McCaffery has already had 60 of those and leads the team in receiving. He's also running the ball at a great clip as well. If Seattle can't stop him running and catching - then it will be a difficult day.

Luke Kuechly - Look for Kuechly to be around the ball a lot today - especially with how much the Seahawks run. The Seahawks need to make him work for the tackles he's gonna get - hit him hard, make him make plays in the second level and keep him from shooting gaps to get tfl. He's the leader of their defense, and the Hawks need to keep him in check.

Cam Newton - Newton is having a great year, he's throwing the ball as well as ever and he's still a threat in the running game. McCaffery has made his life easier - but he can still be a threat on his own. The Defense is going to have a hard day if they allow Newton to get the looks he wants.

Matchups:

Tre Flowers vs. Devin Funchess - Flowers has been great at times at CB this season, and at times he looks like a converted rookie safety. Funchess will be a different challenge than Flowers has faced this year (and Griffin) as he's the physical type receiver that corners like Flowers were brought in the face. Flowers need to have a good game and limit Newton's options.

Barkevious Mingo/Austin Calitro vs. Greg Olson - Olson has had huge games against the Seahawks defense, and our best TE coverage backer is out. Though his numbers a down this year - don't think Newton won't use his weapons that will expose a LB corps that has had issues keeping tabs on their assignments this year.

D.J. Fluker/Justin Britt/J.R. Sweezy vs. Kawann Short/Dontari Poe/Luke Keuchly - This is where the Seahawks offense has to dominate to win this game. The interior line of the Panthers is good, and the Seahawks need to be able to run the ball right at it - as that's where their bread and butter is. Control the LOS and the game is winnable.

Overview:

This is going to come down to which defense can stop the run, and which offense can take advantage of the defense's run focus in the passing game. Both teams have been inconsistent in some areas, and the game is a must win for both in the playoff race. The playoffs truly do start now, and the pressure is on.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funchess is listed as Doubtful, which means he's not playing based on how that usually works out. With Funchess out, we'll probably see even more dumps and screens to McCaffrey. I think a huge matchup is how our LBs play that, especially with KJ Wright iffy and probably out.

Also, Carolina may be ranked 7th in run defense in terms of yards per game, but I am not sure how instructive that is. They are middle of the pack in yards per attempt at 4.3.

I think our chances are pretty decent here. Carolina is coming off 2 turd performances, so I guess you could look at that two ways -- they're extra determined to play better in an important game, or they're trending downward after getting totally spanked by Pittsburgh then dropping one to a below avg Detroit team. This would be the Hawks' best win of the season, and I think this game means a touch more to them than Carolina. Probably comes down to one possession at the end of the game -- either it will be up to Russell to finish like we have seen him do often in the past (though not as much this year) or the young D will have to close it out against Cam "look at me" Newton. Gawd I hope we beat that d-bag.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN lists Funchess as Inactive.

Baldwin was Q but is Active.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funchess is listed as Doubtful, which means he's not playing based on how that usually works out. With Funchess out, we'll probably see even more dumps and screens to McCaffrey. I think a huge matchup is how our LBs play that, especially with KJ Wright iffy and probably out.

Also, Carolina may be ranked 7th in run defense in terms of yards per game, but I am not sure how instructive that is. They are middle of the pack in yards per attempt at 4.3.

I think our chances are pretty decent here. Carolina is coming off 2 turd performances, so I guess you could look at that two ways -- they're extra determined to play better in an important game, or they're trending downward after getting totally spanked by Pittsburgh then dropping one to a below avg Detroit team. This would be the Hawks' best win of the season, and I think this game means a touch more to them than Carolina. Probably comes down to one possession at the end of the game -- either it will be up to Russell to finish like we have seen him do often in the past (though not as much this year) or the young D will have to close it out against Cam "look at me" Newton. Gawd I hope we beat that d-bag.

I missed Funchess being out - dang, hate when I do that :doh:

I'm also not gonna discount their run defense too much, since they are beating our run defense in every category. The only reason our defense is so much higher ranked than their's is because their pass defense really sucks, and we're not really a prolific pass offense to take advantage of that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed Funchess being out - dang, hate when I do that :doh:

I'm also not gonna discount their run defense too much, since they are beating our run defense in every category. The only reason our defense is so much higher ranked than their's is because their pass defense really sucks, and we're not really a prolific pass offense to take advantage of that.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say their run D sucks. I just think it's average or so. 7th in yards per game doesn't tell the whole story, IMO.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's one way to start a game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be a steady dose of runningbacks from both teams. I think Seattle is going to have to run up the gut and go right at Keuchley or go to a passing game pretty quick. Keuchley is such a beast stopping outside runs.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why Cam is completing 68%

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, our run defense is so bad

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah DT’s were a concern for me

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What s stand at their GL

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
typical 10am start so far.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#4 in 3 and outs in the league oof.

I miss Bevell's offense. lol

Maybe i should turn the game on once the Half is over, Then they will play better. lol

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I'm wondering, including half time, what percentage of an NFL game is made up of product commercials vs football playtime? Seems like almost every time I come in to check on the game a friggin commercial is playing. Glad I'm recording the game so I can fast forward past all the BS. Dang, it's crazy IMO :gaah:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully this isn’t a game where Russell plays bad in the first half again and then does just enough to make the game close at the end coming up a little short

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have to sell X amount of commercials for a game and they play most of them in the fist half haha.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson throws high like normal oof

Also this needs to be said, he was VERY late on the throw.

If i was Doug i would lay into Wilson because that type throw is going to get him killed.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAN, Russ missed Baldwin there for sure, WIDE open...

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't russ run it on 3rd and 7. Lane was mack mack truck open