• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle NHL

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metros would be a great name for a Seattle team, just needs more frills and maybe a few rainbows.
I can see it now -- the promo night celebrating the alphabet people. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to LGBTQPC25H night at the new Key Arena!!" It would just be so Seattle.

I am hoping for the Sockeyes. Logo would be a mean looking fish with dukes up, sporting a black eye and bandage on the cheekbone.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a little 'on the nose.'

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly sockeyes would be cool if they stick with the northwest native art style

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that I think the NHL probably would rather seen an expansion team in Seattle opposed to a relocation so that way the # of teams gets back to an even number. It's just my speculation though.

Isn't that already the guarantee? The NHL all but guaranteed an expansion team to Seattle with Vegas as they didn't accept the other bids. Seattle will get the expansion team, not relocation, as they have been trying to expand into Seattle before they remodeled the Coliseum and made it impossible for NHL to house a team.

My understanding was the Coyotes would have been fine with relocating years ago to Seattle but Key Arena wasn't an option and the city and mayor wanted nothing to do with Key Arena hence why they gave up free money from Clay Bennett and the NBA instead of remodeling.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman: Seattle Would Get Vegas's Favorable Expansion Terms

Bettman: Seattle would get same rules as Vegas

That's good cause they're thinking of tweaking it so it wouldn't have an expansion team power house.

The topic of NHL Expansion came up on PTI yesterday. Tony Kornhiser was like me -- skeptical that the rules would stay the same for Seattle no matter what is being said right now. I just cannot think that the established, long suffering franchises think it's a good idea, good for the league, or even "fair" that LV got to a cup finals in year 1. I guess we'll see how it goes, but I expect some sort of "adjustment" for our team's expansion process.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The topic of NHL Expansion came up on PTI yesterday. Tony Kornhiser was like me -- skeptical that the rules would stay the same for Seattle no matter what is being said right now. I just cannot think that the established, long suffering franchises think it's a good idea, good for the league, or even "fair" that LV got to a cup finals in year 1. I guess we'll see how it goes, but I expect some sort of "adjustment" for our team's expansion process.

The bottom feeders of the NHL continue to be bottom feeders with bad drafting, horrible scouting and bad coaching. Seattle's expansion team shouldn't be held accountable cause of those piss poorly run franchises. I hope they get the same as Vegas did but I too believe there will be tweaking.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was NOBODY in the hockey world predicting that Vegas would even make the playoffs let alone the NHL finals after that expansion draft. Nobody. Sure the rules were changed to make Vegas more viable than the Senators were in their inaugural year, but it's not like they gave them a free trip to successville. They got a bit lucky with teams up against the cap (that's how they got Fleury in goal), and teams having to make some tough choices (Vegas' top line is 2/3 from Florida, who chose to keep other promising young players)

But a BUNCH of guys had career years that there was no indication they were capable of having.

So, nope don't expect them to tinker with the rules much. Seattle could go that route and be the worst team in the NHL just as easily.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 20 dollar bet on Vegas to win the cup gives you a cool 10,000. Nice little pay day.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was NOBODY in the hockey world predicting that Vegas would even make the playoffs let alone the NHL finals after that expansion draft. Nobody. Sure the rules were changed to make Vegas more viable than the Senators were in their inaugural year, but it's not like they gave them a free trip to successville. They got a bit lucky with teams up against the cap (that's how they got Fleury in goal), and teams having to make some tough choices (Vegas' top line is 2/3 from Florida, who chose to keep other promising young players)

But a BUNCH of guys had career years that there was no indication they were capable of having.

So, nope don't expect them to tinker with the rules much. Seattle could go that route and be the worst team in the NHL just as easily.
Well, nobody predicting it to happen doesn't automatically mean they'll be A-ok with repeating the steps that set the conditions for it to happen. I do hope you're right though.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, nobody predicting it to happen doesn't automatically mean they'll be A-ok with repeating the steps that set the conditions for it to happen. I do hope you're right though.

But that's the point, the conditions of the expansion draft, didn't make them cup contenders. Teams making some really bad decisions did.

NHL has already said they aren't planning on changing anything.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's the point, the conditions of the expansion draft, didn't make them cup contenders. Teams making some really bad decisions did.
That's an opinion.

NHL has already said they aren't planning on changing anything.
Yes, I have already acknowledged that. Someone also once said, "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an opinion.

At risk of an appeal to authority fallacy, I'm in good company.

Yes, I have already acknowledged that. Someone also once said, "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

I'll give you that point. Bettman IS Bettman.

Reactions: JMR

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At risk of an appeal to authority fallacy, I'm in good company.

Hot shit, someone else knows what that is?!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot shit, someone else knows what that is?!

Benefits of a wasted librul arts education. Avoid math at all costs! List 5, logic philosophy and astronomy ftw!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benefits of a wasted librul arts education. Avoid math at all costs! List 5, logic philosophy and astronomy ftw!
Philosophy was a requirement for me. Constitutional Law as well. And a crapload of math. And a bunch of other crazy stuff, no matter what your major was....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philosophy was a requirement for me. Constitutional Law as well. And a crapload of math. And a bunch of other crazy stuff, no matter what your major was....

For sure. I was good at pretty much everything BUT math, so I didn't put too much thought into the lists that had stuff like archaeology or anthropology through science fiction (my fave summer course ever). I'd done a bunch of acting, so even the dreaded public speaking or performing arts was no big whoop.

But I avoided hard math/stats like the plague, and took softball shit like philosophy instead.

I imagine given where you ended up, math came in handy at least a bit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I hope the apartments who share Hansen's law firm win their lawsuit against the city. As much as I want hockey I want it at a viable and non corrupt location/venue. The NBA won't ever return to Seattle at the Seattle Center.