• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle NHL

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Student Drawing of what he thinks the team could look like.

Team Name-Seattle Metros

reference to the Metropolitans who evolved from 1915 to 1924 in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, and won the Stanley Cup back in 1917.
inline_resized_1024_5a9ecead49c8f_262071.jpg

Proposed Seattle logo and uniform so good it has to be seen!

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Joe TV did tonights game but it is a send off for potential HOF players (who are identical twins) for tjeir final game for a city that took them 2nd and 3rd in the 1999 ÑHL draft.

They played for the Canucks all of their careers and created alot of memories such as

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to keep a eye on.

Apparently Phenoix is having issues( for me and @Destroydacre we know it is nothing new. It has a clusterfuck for a while.) and the City of Glendale wants them out. So relocating to Seattle as quick as this fall is a opition.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to keep a eye on.

Apparently Phenoix is having issues( for me and @Destroydacre we know it is nothing new. It has a clusterfuck for a while.) and the City of Glendale wants them out. So relocating to Seattle as quick as this fall is a opition.

They need to leave Arizona. Aren't they still owned by the league?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really excited for the NHL. I probably posted this somewhere already, but I went to my first NHL game a few weeks ago (Canucks) and had an absolute blast.

Still working on learning all the rules and everything but it's really exciting to watch.

As my friends and I loudly sang the national anthem, a guy near us remarked "Donald Trump would be proud." Thought that was pretty funny.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest thing most newbies to hockey don't understand is the crazy speed of the game, which doesn't come across so well on TV. Sit down low at a live game, and you get a bit... awed at how fast the players are moving. That's true even of college and minor league hockey. NHL level, it's the speed plus the incredible size.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd caution people to not get their hopes up on Arizona though. Bettman has had a hard-on for the Phoenix area since forever. Who the eff knows what bargaining chip nonsense goes on, where the coyotes rumored to go to another market is used as a lever to get what Bettman wants.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd caution people to not get their hopes up on Arizona though. Bettman has had a hard-on for the Phoenix area since forever. Who the eff knows what bargaining chip nonsense goes on, where the coyotes rumored to go to another market is used as a lever to get what Bettman wants.

That is why i said keep an eye. Doubtful it might

This whole Arizona sale has been going on since 2009 i think

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on how this last expansion process went, it seems like the best path to having a competitive team is that method vs a relocation. Plus, isnt there currently an odd # of NHL teams? Seems like they may prefer to add 1 to get back to even?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on how this last expansion process went, it seems like the best path to having a competitive team is that method vs a relocation. Plus, isnt there currently an odd # of NHL teams? Seems like they may prefer to add 1 to get back to even?

Hard to know. They could have added a team for years now. Quebec has wanted one for years, and has pretty decent financing and ownership in place.

So I guess I'd say, yes, they'd add a franchise, depending on where it is, and who is involved.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is Seattle had the franchise awarded to them with Vegas but Bonderman never put in for the application that he was expected to do which is why it is at an odd number.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is Seattle had the franchise awarded to them with Vegas but Bonderman never put in for the application that he was expected to do which is why it is at an odd number.
My point is that I think the NHL probably would rather seen an expansion team in Seattle opposed to a relocation so that way the # of teams gets back to an even number. It's just my speculation though.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a heads up because @WizardHawk came in to a thread for the conference finals and asked.....

It is pretty much the same rules as Vegas for a expansion draft but......

Vegas is excluded from the draft.

Each team can protect 5 players and a Goalie.

There is something for Free Agents but can't remember it now.

The chances of getting "That team" are slim.

Fluery ( who IMHO has led them here) was on the outs with Pittsburgh so much that their was trade talk regarding Fluery to Calgary before the draft

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally expect the rules to be modified when we get our team to make it much more difficult for an expansion team to do what Vegas is doing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally expect the rules to be modified when we get our team to make it much more difficult for an expansion team to do what Vegas is doing.

They said they get the same just the NHL GM's now can learn from mistakes.

My thing with this is, they gave the 2020 season as when it will happen. Nothing in Seattle has ever been built on time and the reconstruction has already been pushed back because of the preseason NBA game. Am I the only one who thinks 2020 is a pipedream?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said they get the same just the NHL GM's now can learn from mistakes.
I could see that -- the same GMs refining their approach after going through it once already. I could also see, no matter they are saying right now, some adjustments being made to the rules by the NHL. For example, instead of letting teams protect X number of players, they now get to protect X + 3. Could be minor, but it's not going to knock me off my stool if they alter the rules to make it a little harder for an expansion team to make it to the top of the mountain in year 1.

My thing with this is, they gave the 2020 season as when it will happen. Nothing in Seattle has ever been built on time and the reconstruction has already been pushed back because of the preseason NBA game. Am I the only one who thinks 2020 is a pipedream?
It seems like there would be significant interest in getting it done on time to not lose a year of revenue. It needs to be done right, however. Normally with construction you have good, fast, and cheap, and you only get to pick 2.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metros would be a great name for a Seattle team, just needs more frills and maybe a few rainbows.