• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle looking like a serious Superbowl repeat contender

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should dig that "Wilson is Elite" thread up from its grave.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No reason to have reality get involved in the discussion. Today is the day that all the Hawks haters get to crow. They feel validated. It doesn't matter to them that Wilson had a 119 passer rating while facing a relentless pass rush. He wasn't able to win a game in which the Seahawks defense allowed the opposition to have 42 minutes of possession which proves he only succeeds because of his defense.

It's a special kind of logic that requires you to focus on the score and ignore the actual game.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game doesn't mean much, nobodys going 19-0, BUT I do think San Diego gave a bit of a blueprint for passing on Seattle. Lots of quick slants and flat passes seemed to be effective for them. Id still say they are the hardest team to pass on, but maybe some hope for opponents- the Denver game should be interesting.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game doesn't mean much, nobodys going 19-0, BUT I do think San Diego gave a bit of a blueprint for passing on Seattle. Lots of quick slants and flat passes seemed to be effective for them. Id still say they are the hardest team to pass on, but maybe some hope for opponents- the Denver game should be interesting.

It was the running that SD was able to do that opened it up by forcing the corners to play off.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the running that SD was able to do that opened it up by forcing the corners to play off.

Interesting, I'm sure you watched the game closer than I did (I was at a bar with a bunch of games on), but I noticed SD did not have a lot of rushing yards. I felt like I kept seeing Jimmy Rivers successfully throwing underneath passes, with some goods YAC.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I'm sure you watched the game closer than I did (I was at a bar with a bunch of games on), but I noticed SD did not have a lot of rushing yards. I felt like I kept seeing Jimmy Rivers successfully throwing underneath passes, with some goods YAC.

They ran the ball 37 times and were getting 4-5 yards that way nearly very first down... It all stemmed from that IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawk offensive and defensive lines were terrible yesterday. Rivers was 22-25 when the Seahawks rushed 4. That isn't going to get it done.

Normally the linebackers and Chancellor make teams pay when they run those slants but they didn't have the same energy yesterday. Likely part of the reason was it was a road game and the fact that the field temp was 118 degrees.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ran the ball 37 times and were getting 4-5 yards that way nearly very first down... It all stemmed from that IMO.

I dunno about that. They had a 2.0 YPC. They got some good runs early but their running game sucked in the 2nd half. Rivers was pin point accurate and they had no turnovers. You are going to win a lot of games doing that.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. So I guess the blueprint is establish the run first- which I actually think is easier against Seattle than establishing the pass. Still a real tough defense, but gives a little hope. Again, I'm real interested to see how Payton approaches next weeks game.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawk offensive and defensive lines were terrible yesterday. Rivers was 22-25 when the Seahawks rushed 4. That isn't going to get it done.

Normally the linebackers and Chancellor make teams pay when they run those slants but they didn't have the same energy yesterday. Likely part of the reason was it was a road game and the fact that the field temp was 118 degrees.

:agree:

People keep talking about a blue print and the Chargers exposed this defense, but this defense will give you the dink and dunks, they did it all last year. Difference in this game is Kam and co didn't knock Woodhead and Allen into concussion land like they normally do when crossing the middle.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno about that. They had a 2.0 YPC. They got some good runs early but their running game sucked in the 2nd half. Rivers was pin point accurate and they had no turnovers. You are going to win a lot of games doing that.

They may have stopped the run in the 2nd half but the play action was still working. In the first half they were getting chunks of yards on early downs, then later, you're right they stopped them which lowered their average, but then they started selling out and biting on the fakes.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have stopped the run in the 2nd half but the play action was still working. In the first half they were getting chunks of yards on early downs, then later, you're right they stopped them which lowered their average, but then they started selling out and biting on the fakes.

The defense just didn't play all that well. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume this was a one off for the defense due, in large part, to the fact that several players had to get fluid IVs in the middle of the game due to heat exposure. Heck one of our coaches had to be hospitalized.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly there are some people here with serious reading comprehension issues. Somehow saying that the Seahawks are looking like serious Super Bowl repeat contenders is somehow a grossly myopic statement. Apparently the Seahawks are not looking like serious Super Bowl contenders.

Pretty sure that your first sentence addresses me, since I was the one who bumped this thread and the only person who has since then "battled" with Seattle posters. Facts are, however, that I always acknowledged that Seattle is a SB contender (e.g., last summer I posted Vegas odds demonstrating my knowledge of that fact that Seattle is a favorite to win the SB this year. :lol:)

So, if you question my reading comprehension, here are three questions you might choose to answer in order to demonstrate your superior reading comprehension?

1. Did the Seattle win over GB show that Seattle, in that Week 1 game, sent " ... a message to the rest of the NFL that the Seahawks remain the NFL's premiere team ...", as claimed in the OP?

2. If Seattle was "the team to beat" after Week 1, are they still that after Week 2?

3. How long is an NFL season?

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gates made some nice catches on the balls that Rivers had to put into tight windows.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that your first sentence addresses me, since I was the one who bumped this thread and the only person who has since then "battled" with Seattle posters. Facts are, however, that I always acknowledged that Seattle is a SB contender (e.g., last summer I posted Vegas odds demonstrating my knowledge of that fact that Seattle is a favorite to win the SB this year. :lol:)

So, if you question my reading comprehension, here are three questions you might choose to answer in order to demonstrate your superior reading comprehension?

1. Did the Seattle win over GB show that Seattle, in that Week 1 game, sent " ... a message to the rest of the NFL that the Seahawks remain the NFL's premiere team ...", as claimed in the OP?

2. If Seattle was "the team to beat" after Week 1, are they still that after Week 2?

3. How long is an NFL season?

1. Which team do you consider to be a better team that Seattle right now?

2. Sure. A non-conference road less in difficult conditions doesn't somehow make Seattle less likely to do well this year.

3. 16 games. And after 16 games the Seahawks may no longer look like the favorite to come out of the NFC. But since we can only talk about the present, saying that they are the presumptive favorite remains true.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I would say there is a blueprint now on how to beat Seattle as I'm not sure we will see that same kind of game again this year, or any other.

Rivers beat Seattle by going to what are normally 3rd and 4th options in read progressions VERY quickly. I don't know if then those were the primary game planned targets, or he simply got through his progressions much faster than other QB's, but he was able to find his underneath release players at a time when Seattle was still getting back into their zone locations. Many of those passes were completed while the defender, mostly LB's, were on their heals quite literally.

Typically you beat cover 3 by going 4 verts and Seattle has always adjusted well when teams try that, but SD ran trips one side and a TE lined up outside the tackle on the other and did a lot of in breaking routes. Rivers just had a crazy outstanding day hitting those short routes very fast.

I always worry about great QB's doing that and I'm sure Seahawks fans are tired of reading that worry when they face brees, manning, rodgers, etc. For whatever reason it took Rivers to actually have that kind of game.

The reason this can't be a total blueprint is the weather for sure had an impact. That defense did not respond well to that heat and for some reason they didn't run the ball on offense and give them any kind of rest. Every damned score by Seattle came on very quick drives. In fact, their 7.2y / play was better than every game they had last year including the playoffs.

All of that and Seattle still could have driven the length of the field and still won it had SD not really stepped up at the end. So finding a duplication of allowing the other team 42+ minutes in 100 degree weather and having a QB go 125 rating on you with quick hitters and still needing a great defensive stop to protect the win at home isn't a likely scenario week in and week out.

To those bringing up the Wilson elite thing... :lol:

Quick, which QB has the most come from behind game winning drives over the last two full seasons:

Wilson with 10.

If you want to remove the elite status from every QB that isn't able to drive for the win on any given day then there has never been an elite QB in the history of the NFL.

And :lol: again for even bringing it up.