• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Got Fleeced.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clicked on that link just for shits and giggles and LMAO at all the miserable Seattle fans.

And just think, those two first and two seconds are going to be early in those rounds.
Right now those picks are middle of the pack.

But Seattle has the ammo to move up if they wish.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it works out or not is kind of irrelevant. What we are talking about is what his contract is going to be.

He has proven thus far that he is a legit NFL starting QB right now. And every legit starting QB in the league is either on a rookie deal or makes $30-$50M AAV contract.

So unless you think he is going to fall on his face and not be thought of as a legit starting QB by the end of the year, the numbers I am mentioning is just what his market value is.

Pretty simple choices.
- You can sign Geno to probably about a $40M AAV.
- You can sign a guy that the rest of the league doesn't view as a true legit starter like Baker Mayfield, Mitch Trubisky, ect to a contract much smaller than that
- You can get a starter in the draft.

Them's the choices. Not great options. Right? Welcome to Sofia's choice scenario for NFL GM's that dont have a legit franchise QB on the roster. Been like this for quite a long time. You just might not have noticed as much because your team has had a franchise QB for a long time now.

And it is in this environment that 30-40% of the league is viewing the QB market this offseason. It is why Geno will be as worth as much as he is. Because there aren't a lot of really killer options out there. Every one of them entails a lot of risk.

That's essentially what I've been saying about the Vikings and Kirk Cousins for years. For all the whining and crying Vikings fans do about Cousins, they forget the Vikings had the luxury of signing him off the street as a UFA at no cost to themselves outside of the cash to him itself. For all his flaws, there's something to be said for that.

Meanwhile, as you mentioned, the alternative options are usually awful - involving either paying hand over fist in trade assets for, or hope you succeed with a random guy from the draft. Which is exactly the failing formula the Vikes themsleves were following forever until they bit the bullet and brought Cousins in.

My point is, too many people are quick to forget how badly it sucks not having a frachise caliber QB on their team until they've had to go a few years without one.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco was a multi year starter when he got his big deal. Just won a SB. Another situation where the Ravens had no choice but to make that move. That was his value at the time.

But there are a TON of one year wonders getting top contracts in the NFL. And you are right, they rarely work out. Scott Mitchel and Matt Cassel are the ones that pop to mind. But again two players that only had one good season under their belt that got monster deals.

But there also are some examples of late blooming QB's too. Guys like Rich Gannon, Steve Young.

And I am not saying what Geno is going to be in the future. I am just talking about his market value. And I guarentee you with the lack of starting QB options on the market right now, Geno if he continues to play like he has this year will have some team willing to give him this contract.

People have to realize that GM's RARELY ever care about the long term health of the franchise they are in charge of. All they care about is if they have a job next year. And the GM's in places like Indy, Carolina, Washington might only have next year to win games and save their jobs. And a rookie QB doesnt do that.

So their option comes to paying a guy like Geno top dollar or hoping that paying a guy like Baker Mayfied half that can get a team to the playoffs. And when your only 2 choices are Geno or Baker on a single year to save your job, who you going to go with? As a GM you can worry about Geno's cap hit in future years. With Baker you wont have to worry about it because you likely wont have a job.

Let's not forget Case Keenum getting paid in Denver for his one magical year in Minnesota that everyone and their grandma could tell was clearly a career year for the guy after 2017 lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but his cap hit outside of 2025 is not horrible, so they can still acquire some pieces. The downside is if he is 'done' and his arm (pec/finger issues) and more importantly mobility is gone... yah, you're stuck with mediocre play for the next 3-4 seasons. Seattle was stuck with Adams who basically was a no show for his time here... so that was also a stupid trade, but obviously safeties earn less money and don't take up the capital for the most important position in all of sports.

What Seattle did that the Jets failed to do was HIT on at least 1 draft so far. Cross, Mafe, Walker all look great. Cross is not by any means elite (he's slightly above average according to PFF), but he's 21.... lol.... by the time he's halfway through his rookie contract you'd expect a vast difference just due to bulking up a bit more and getting experience.
Abe Lucas is the best pick Seattle made

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade and Geno’s success this year shows that some QB’s just need the right system to be successful, and that not all QB’s can be successful in any system.

Russell is struggling outside of Carroll’s system, and Geno struggled outside of Carroll’s system.

It does help that Seattle finally fixed their OL. I’m sure Russell is thrilled they waited until after he left to finally fix it.
Russell line wasn’t bad when he was in the Seattle. He holds the ball way too long to ever have a highly grade offensive line

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Wentz has 2 more passing TDs than Russell Wilson this season and he hasn't played since Week 6 and has been benched.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for the Seahawks to sign Geno to a two year extension, half the money guaranteed. Draft a QB with one of Denver's picks and let him ride the pine the first season. Let the rook learn the ropes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for the Seahawks to sign Geno to a two year extension, half the money guaranteed. Draft a QB with one of Denver's picks and let him ride the pine the first season. Let the rook learn the ropes.
What salary?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here, say 25-28M/ yr although they might have to go 3 years with 50M guaranteed in today's market. It all depends on how Geno finishes the season though. So far, the losses have been more about defense than anything else. Draft a QB that needs some seasoning day 2. Use what looks like our top 5 pick from Denver to get hopefully, one of those top end Dlinemen. Bears might beat us to the punch on one of them though. Use our picks wisely to continue to shore up the interior Oline and on defense. Then try to get some depth pieces in FA at reasonable price. Maybe a better weak side LB and some run stuffers. Let's continue to get the defense back to where it should be. The offense is good enough with Geno for now. Don't waste high picks on QBs when the defense still needs work.