• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks @ Cards, Final Game - Heavy Playoff Implications

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's been a disappointing year but at least there's still a chance for Seattle to impact the playoffs and this isn't a 100% meaningless game where everyone is resting starters, etc.

The Rams and Cards are playing for the division which is quite important as if the Rams lose and Cards win they lose the division and are now probably the #5 seed (pending what else happens). That's a pretty big deal.

I'll be curious to see how Penny performs against a rush defense that isn't THAT great (with the loss of JJ Watt) but still FAR better than the defenses in his breakout performance. Sounds like a lot of starting OL are out today as well. With no Wagner Brooks will get a chance to show he can be the premiere ILB....

I hope we see some younger guys get snaps. It'd be nice to know what we have for next year. It sounds like the entire RB situation may get blown up, so it'd be nice to see some of Josh Johnson (UDFA RB).

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to believe they will play at 100% given it is for nothing more than to play spoiler and maybe pride. Doesn't matter though, because next year you get to see more of the same only another year older and possibly without Wilson if he pushes to leave.

They are years away from having any chance of returning to NFC west champs, more or less a deep playoff run again.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I've been skeptical that Pete is going anywhere. The team just extended him Nov. 2020 to 2025. It seems a little spendy to buy him out after just one year. With his history with the team, his length of remaining contract and a very realistic theory that without Russ getting hurt the Seahawks may have 4 more wins, there's just not enough to fire him after one bad year. Now, maybe the seat is warmer, but I can't imagine a firing of Pete until after next year, and that only if we aren't competitive.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be over soon.

Just need to finish that drama filled game

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to believe they will play at 100% given it is for nothing more than to play spoiler and maybe pride. Doesn't matter though, because next year you get to see more of the same only another year older and possibly without Wilson if he pushes to leave.

They are years away from having any chance of returning to NFC west champs, more or less a deep playoff run again.

Well Penny, POSSIBLY Wilson, and some of the other younger guys may still be playing hard, because if they push to leave from Seattle you want to go out on a high note.

Let's say Penny has a MONSTER game today (like 150+ and 2 TDs) against a division rival FIGHTING for the division, that'll probably get him another $3M on his contract or more interest from teams. Same for Wilson if he's looking to leave (Look, the finger is finally healed). Lot of the OL and even defense will be younger guys nearing the end....

Yes, in terms of the season it's lost... but Carroll has already said we need to re-tool which means a lot of players are getting cut/moved (not necessarily BLOWING it up, but for the lesser impact guys you're gone).... they're all fighting for new contracts as large as possible... and sometimes it comes down to 'one game or final impression'. Look at Matt Flynn for Christ sake.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

does anyone really know how much either of them make? he kind of pulled those numbers out his ass.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Penny, POSSIBLY Wilson, and some of the other younger guys may still be playing hard, because if they push to leave from Seattle you want to go out on a high note.

Let's say Penny has a MONSTER game today (like 150+ and 2 TDs) against a division rival FIGHTING for the division, that'll probably get him another $3M on his contract or more interest from teams. Same for Wilson if he's looking to leave (Look, the finger is finally healed). Lot of the OL and even defense will be younger guys nearing the end....

Yes, in terms of the season it's lost... but Carroll has already said we need to re-tool which means a lot of players are getting cut/moved (not necessarily BLOWING it up, but for the lesser impact guys you're gone).... they're all fighting for new contracts as large as possible... and sometimes it comes down to 'one game or final impression'. Look at Matt Flynn for Christ sake.
I'm not saying any player will give less than their best, but there is something extra when you are playing for something bigger.

I know a lot of our fans see this team as being just behind the Rams and maybe around the cards, but just had some bad luck. I'm not among those.

This is a mediocre team even at full strength.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone really know how much either of them make? he kind of pulled those numbers out his ass.
Does the actual number matter much? If it were only 70m instead of 80m-90m does it change anything?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Carroll got extended through 2025... so that's 4 more years of Head Coaching. He was making $11M per year with his prior contract, and I'd assume that's something similar for this one. Head coaching contracts to my best knowledge are FULLY guaranteed. Obviously nothing counts against your cap but if Carroll got cut tomorrow that'd prob. be $50M alone. I don't think Schneider makes that much.... and ZERO clue if GM contracts are fully guaranteed, but usually executive leadership (top brass) positions have a bit more things written in than a general staff member (year to year basis).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying any player will give less than their best, but there is something extra when you are playing for something bigger.

I know a lot of our fans see this team as being just behind the Rams and maybe around the cards, but just had some bad luck. I'm not among those.

This is a mediocre team even at full strength.

Only guys I can't imagine really giving a shit are the ones with larger contracts (Wagner, Lockett, Adams, Brown, Dunlap) etc. who are likely on their last contract and simply don't give an F. Most of those guys aren't even playing though. A lot of the team though is still younger guys (even Diggs) who are playing for a large contract... and if it's not Seattle, someone may give them one. I mean Penny was probably league minimum until a few weeks ago... now someone might say, "EH!?" Again if he has a huge game... that could mean serious cash for him...

And Wilson is playing for either a contract extension this offseason from Seattle or trade value... so there's that. It's generally the older/HIGH paid guys that are like, "Eh fuck it." And most of those guys aren't playing lol... that's why I said, put our younger rookies/younger players in and see WTF they got.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Wilson's going out with a thud, not a bang. Got it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least we chewed up 12 seconds of time of possession... :pound:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announcers actually bring up a good point. You're on the road, Penny has been playing well (granted the defenses were shit), but Arizona doesn't have Watt so their rush D is not as good... and what do ya know?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Arizona lost Lockett on that one.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woohooo!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are in........

for those are Care here

Yep, barely. That Chargers/Raiders game will be a good one to watch because whoever loses is eliminated.