• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2018 offseason thread

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we franchise tag him but in doing so I think we'd be paying him $20 mil+
IIRC, the FT for a FS in 2018 is a little over $11M. Next year should be close to $12M.
Sooooooooooooooooo, he plays out this year's contract at over $8M, then gets FT'd next year for about $12M and that would be roughly $20M for these next 2 years. Add a 3rd year at say...$14M and that would be $34M for 3 years.
That is less $ than what ET would sign a 3 year deal for, so it is a position the Seahawks own and may use. It would then be up to Earl to retire or play.
I doubt he walks away from those dollars even though it is less than he desires.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably the minority but

We need to trade him.

If we dont. This distraction could cost us dearly the more we want.

Maybe ET wont reach for that pick.
Maybe ET wont reach for that tackle.
Maybe ET won't evade the tackle but run out of bounds

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Earl would just retire if the Hawks tagged him...

So when he tweeted the other day that he'd like to finish his career as a Hawk, you think he's outright lying?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need to trade him.

Based on what? When in his career has he ever been anything other than the consummate pro and competitor?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? When in his career has he ever been anything other than the consummate pro and competitor?

Becauae he might be worried about himself and his future instead of Team

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when he tweeted the other day that he'd like to finish his career as a Hawk, you think he's outright lying?

Was tagging him on the table at the time he tweeted that? I'm sure it would be a different toon if it had... He did flirt w/ retiring a few years ago so why be so sure?

If he retired, wouldn't he be finishing his career as a Hawk... :scratch:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when he broke his leg it was just a knee jerk reaction. I am sure he was tired of being injured by friendly fire, i mean think about it. Kam broke Earls leg and the season before Kam crushed Earls shoulder ( and almost broke Shermans arm ). It's so aggravating to be injured and then to have it happen twice by your own team mates just makes it even more so. No i am not saying he was mad at Kam i am saying he was at a extremely LOW point and probably didn't feel like playing any more just so his own team mates couldn't injure him AGAIN!

It was just a knee Jerk reaction. Now he might threaten it to give himself more power but we all know Thomas LOVES to play football. Heck he LOVES practice lol, he wont be able to stay off the field for a prolonged holdout. My problem is when people hold out it's like they always get injured when they come back it seems. I have No proof if that is true it just feels that way doesn't it?

I love Earl Thomas and he is a great player but he really bulked up to try and be part of the Boom when i think it hurt his over all game. He shouldn't have tried to turn himself into a hammer with range and just did it like he use to. Aggressive tackling sideline to sideline coverage and ball skills instead of trying to add 15 pounds of muscle to also become a HAMMER!

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Becauae he might be worried about himself and his future instead of Team

And that's why he's holding out (so far.)

But if the DO resign him, why is he going to turn into some kind of cancer?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was tagging him on the table at the time he tweeted that? I'm sure it would be a different toon if it had... He did flirt w/ retiring a few years ago so why be so sure?

If he retired, wouldn't he be finishing his career as a Hawk... :scratch:

Not sure what you mean. tagging him was always on the table, no?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There inlies me reasoning for this. We aren't going to resign him so trade him for a piece
It's a balancing act. We could let him walk after 2018 and likely get a 3rd round comp pick in 2020. Or we could trade him now for X in the 2019 draft. The value being offered before this year's draft wasn't enough to get a deal done, so I'm assuming that is still the case now. Up to this point, he really has only missed a week of mandatory practice. The sense of urgency will probably ramp up a bit as the start of camp gets closer.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. But why haven't they

They'd prefer him to posture, sit out TC (they don't want the wear and tear on him anyway), and then show up for regular season games. This happens ALL THE TIME, and there's no reason to think that Earl will become some horrible distraction, based on his past behavior.

IF some team calls in the mean-time and offers them a first, then they ship him out of town.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ET is too good of a player to let go for the offers that have been reported. Not even a 1st round pick for a possibly all-time top-10 safety? Really?
I understand the injury concern but he really isn't that old. But his game being predicated on speed might highlight that as an area of possible fast decline?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need to trade him.

He'd be losing money in FA is the NFL FO's see him dogging it on the field.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. No need to sell him low.
Yup and no reason to hamstring the team by signing him to a huge guaranteed contract. Seahawks can use him while he’s under contract and franchise him if they wish afterwards. Or Thomas can sign a contract that doesn’t hamstring the team, his call.
The problem with star players is they want that big ass contract as they age, because they know it’s their last big payday. Never a easy thing to handle for a team. Lot of big names players on other teams got let go. Nature of the game.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, the FT for a FS in 2018 is a little over $11M. Next year should be close to $12M.
Sooooooooooooooooo, he plays out this year's contract at over $8M, then gets FT'd next year for about $12M and that would be roughly $20M for these next 2 years. Add a 3rd year at say...$14M and that would be $34M for 3 years.
That is less $ than what ET would sign a 3 year deal for, so it is a position the Seahawks own and may use. It would then be up to Earl to retire or play.
I doubt he walks away from those dollars even though it is less than he desires.

Oh ok I didn't know that.