• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Van Pelt

Burns80y

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the Scott Van Pelt radio show and he said that Lebron James was an Ovechkin. A great individual player that doesn't make the player around him better. While i see some truth in that statement for the most part i think that AO does make the people around him better for the most part.

The thing that i found interesting was a show on the world wide leader using a hockey player to describe a basketball player. A subtle reference but it wasn't long ago such a thing would be unheard of.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm pretty much done with any "opinion" coming out of espn, even guys like scott van pelt who seem to be level headed. they're in the business of selling opinions at the expense of integrity.

also, i have listened to scott van pelt's show on the radio, dude hardly ever talks about hockey, i'm not sure he actually knows what he is talking about or is qualified to make an opinion.

having said all of that, the jerry jones philosophy of "any publicity is good publicity" applies here, and i agree that it's good that they even mention it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the Scott Van Pelt radio show and he said that Lebron James was an Ovechkin. A great individual player that doesn't make the player around him better. While i see some truth in that statement for the most part i think that AO does make the people around him better for the most part.

The thing that i found interesting was a show on the world wide leader using a hockey player to describe a basketball player. A subtle reference but it wasn't long ago such a thing would be unheard of.

Ovechkin definitely makes the guys around him better, and so does LeBron. The difference is that, in hockey, the attacking mentality benefits your teammates more than it does in basketball. For example, rebounds in basketball are not great scoring opportunities, in hockey, they're the best. But both create time and space for teammates by simply commanding attention, and that's how they make the guys around them better.

I do think both of them could improve on their games simply by using their heads more, though.

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Buccigross is the only person I like at the Mouse Ears. He constantly is giving hockey props.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised at the Ovechkin reference as well, but it's a plug for hockey. If you want to stay in basketball, though, King James reminds me of Dominique Wilkens (of course, a lot of the young folk might respond with who?)

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised at the Ovechkin reference as well, but it's a plug for hockey. If you want to stay in basketball, though, King James reminds me of Dominique Wilkens (of course, a lot of the young folk might respond with who?)

You mean the Human Highlight Film?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like they are just using the awful show PTI's Wilbon's quote about James being in danger of becoming the NBA version of Ovechkin.

When pointed out to him that James had played two more years than Ovechkin, and should Ovechkin be worried about becoming the NHL's version of James Wilbon reportedly answered "huh?"

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like wilbon, but again, how much does he even really know about hockey. like i said, espn is in the business of selling opinion, and in that way, they should be trusted no further than anyone else who is trying to sell you something, especially something they know nothing about.

it's like going to a used car salesman who's trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner.

sorry, i'm not buying.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or a pimp trying to sell you an "18 year old" hooker.

shouldn't trust the sleaze bag in the first place, and definitely should not trust the validity of the product.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i used to like espn back when they just stuck to highlights and scores. i do not like the direction they have been going in. all of these tabloid type stories get old.

they also show nascar highlights and the people have to pretend like they know what they are talking about. i do not know anything about nascar and even i can tell they do not know what they are talking about. they only show highlights and talk about sports that they show on their channel.

the only good show on espn is baseball tonight. they have great baseball coverage. also, sportscenter is good basically because it is just highlights and scores. i have more respect for around the horn since last year because tony reali was trying to convince everybody that the nhl playoffs last year were more exciting than the nba. pti is tough to watch.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i used to like espn back when they just stuck to highlights and scores. i do not like the direction they have been going in. all of these tabloid type stories get old.

they also show nascar highlights and the people have to pretend like they know what they are talking about. i do not know anything about nascar and even i can tell they do not know what they are talking about. they only show highlights and talk about sports that they show on their channel.

the only good show on espn is baseball tonight. they have great baseball coverage. also, sportscenter is good basically because it is just highlights and scores. i have more respect for around the horn since last year because tony reali was trying to convince everybody that the nhl playoffs last year were more exciting than the nba. pti is tough to watch.

I very seldom watch ESPN anymore. Like you said they stopped doing sports and are more like the tabloids than anything else.

I long for the early days when they did what they intended to do and that's sports coverage not the bullshit they have on now.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still love College Gameday and it seems almost like the college football side of ESPN is almost a seperate entity. It has some great features and really works the crowd an goes to cool places with cool traditions.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love College Gameday and it seems almost like the college football side of ESPN is almost a seperate entity. It has some great features and really works the crowd an goes to cool places with cool traditions.

That's because they cover college football. There was a time they covered all sports because after all they are a sports network. They shouldn't just give props to the sports they have have contracts with but do what they should do and that's cover sports period.

I don't give a damn if Tiger Woods wife whipped a cell phone or whatever at his SUV, I want to know what he did on the back nine. I know it's news but don't carry it all the fucking time!!

I like that...I can say fuck here. :)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a damn if Tiger Woods wife whipped a cell phone or whatever at his SUV, I want to know what he did on the back nine. I know it's news but don't carry it all the fucking time!!

I like that...I can say fuck here. :)

Tiger can't even make it to the back nine these days, Boss, on account of too much bulging...