• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Linehan needs to go!

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has passed his prime

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expected to see on the wire this morning that Scott and ole red got the hook.

Bummer morning so far.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's awful. Maybe nobody can get this offense to perform but we know for certain he cannot.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO as far the coaching staff goes, the entire offensive side of the equation has failed to this point this year. I refuse to believe this offense is this bad based on the talent on the field. Dak might not be great, but he has shown he is better than this. This mess is on the coaching staff and their unimaginative, stale offense.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it, but something different has to be done. The OL played poorly yesterday, but you need to be able to score points even when the OL doesn't play well. The plays are too slow to develop or the QB needs to get rid of the ball quicker. The PAP is what our entire Offense was based on. How often do we even attempt the PAP anymore???

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it, but something different has to be done. The OL played poorly yesterday, but you need to be able to score points even when the OL doesn't play well. The plays are too slow to develop or the QB needs to get rid of the ball quicker. The PAP is what our entire Offense was based on. How often do we even attempt the PAP anymore???

The line did look bad again. Not as bad as week one but bad indeed.
I guess I got ahead of myself, thinking it will be back to 2016 form.

I'm in no way excusing Dak, but at least people can't say he has such a good line to play behind.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO as far the coaching staff goes, the entire offensive side of the equation has failed to this point this year. I refuse to believe this offense is this bad based on the talent on the field. Dak might not be great, but he has shown he is better than this. This mess is on the coaching staff and their unimaginative, stale offense.

Vs Carolina with the game as a sure loss, the O played with urgency, and at least looked like an NFL Offense, same thing this week.
My question is why wait until you have little to no chance at a W to play with urgency?

That is 100% on the Coaches, especially the play calling.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at swaim and Jarwin as no threat in the passing game. The Cowboys really have nothing to lose by giving Rico the majority of the snaps for a week or two to see what he has. But rest assured garret and linehan will stick to swaim and Jarwin for several more losses.

Dak can be a problem for defenses when he runs, but he hardly ran at all yesterday. So yeah there is a good argument to be made regarding the game plan lenihan implemented yesterday.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The talent on offense is slightly inferior in comparison to 2016, guess it starts there. But really I think it is a lack of commitment to the run so far that is keeping this offense behind the chains and forcing Prescott to throw far too much. In the first half of each game this is what Elliott has done so far...

Week 1 -- 7 carries - 18 yards in the 1at half, / 15-69 total
Week 2 -- 9 carries - 40 yards in the 1st half, / 17-78
Week 3 -- 9 carries - 52 yards in the 1st half, / 16-127
Average -- 8.3 carries - 36 yards in the 1st half / 16-91.3

Week 1 against Carolina was tough sledding, the entire offense looked unprepared to play in the 1st half -- Elliott was held out of preseason and this was his first game action of the year. Against the Giants he was productive and producing positive yards. Week 3 was more of the same in the first half.

Over the past two years (16-17) in regular season games Elliott has played in the Cowboys are 19-6. In games the Cowboys have won Elliott has averaged...

2016 -- 9.7 carries and 51.6 yards in the 1st half / 21.4 - 113.3 total
2017 -- 13.1 carries and 53.6 yards in the 1st half / 26.5 - 112.8
Average -- 10.8 carries and 52.1 yards in the 1st half / 23.0 - 113.6

In games Elliott has played that the Cowboys lost...

2016 -- 15 carries and 59 yards in the 1st half / 22 - 79 yards total
2017 -- 11.25 carries and 40 yards in the 1st half / 20.75 - 76.5
Average -- 12.5 carries and 46.3 yards in the 1st half / 21.2 - 77.3

Charting the Cowboys overall commitment to the rushing attack since 2016...

2016 -- 14.9 carries and 78.5 yards in the 1st half / 31.2 - 149.75 yards total
2017 -- 14.9 carries and 66.6 yards in the 1st half / 30.0 - 135.6
2018 -- 11.3 carries and 58 yards in the 1st half / 22.0 - 132.7

It has not been a huge drop off in total production running the ball, but I think being more patient in the run and sticking with it a little bit more has a correlation with Dak's success. Run it more throw it less. Dak needs to be managed, he's not going to win you games throwing it 30 times, but under the proper supervision he won't lose games.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start with the HC and put someone there who will allow the offense to open up. You can literally predict what play Garrett is going to call and if we can do can the DC on the other teams

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a big part of the problem with this offense and why it has earned the predictable label is there are specific plays in specific situations that Linehan and/or Garrett can not help but to call. Just a few off the top of my head...

Exhibit
A. 2nd & 5ish, shotgun spread formation, motion RB outside, usually WR curls and RB TE in the flat -- Wouldn't be the worst thing if they didn't do it ALL the time with this down and distance. Switch it up a little, maybe don't motion the RB out every single time and run a draw, or play action. Instead there is no threat of the run except a QB sneak/scramble.

B. two TE set, Williams on the outside to the right of the QB motions in tight just off the TE, run to the right side -- Again, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Dallas would maybe show a different look from that formation, like maybe throw it every once in a while after Williams is motioned in tight.

C. 3rd and 11+, good chance a screen is coming because the coaching staff seldom lets Prescott challenge a defense in these obvious passing situations.

D. Jet sweeps and fakes, the team does it so often that there is really no element of surprise with it and defenders know to stay at home. Sure we have had a couple nice plays with it this year, but it has long been an overused staple of this offense.

There are others for sure. I can only imagine what a pro scouting department can find with all of their available time and resources.

In my estimation the problem is not necessarily that there is no creativity, because they do try new things here and there. I think its just that the coaching staff falls back on a very small number of plays in certain situations that everyone knows what is coming in these specific situations and certain formations, and that is why Linehan/Garrett have earned the label of predictable.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent on offense is slightly inferior in comparison to 2016, guess it starts there. But really I think it is a lack of commitment to the run so far that is keeping this offense behind the chains and forcing Prescott to throw far too much. In the first half of each game this is what Elliott has done so far...

Week 1 -- 7 carries - 18 yards in the 1at half, / 15-69 total
Week 2 -- 9 carries - 40 yards in the 1st half, / 17-78
Week 3 -- 9 carries - 52 yards in the 1st half, / 16-127
Average -- 8.3 carries - 36 yards in the 1st half / 16-91.3

Week 1 against Carolina was tough sledding, the entire offense looked unprepared to play in the 1st half -- Elliott was held out of preseason and this was his first game action of the year. Against the Giants he was productive and producing positive yards. Week 3 was more of the same in the first half.

Over the past two years (16-17) in regular season games Elliott has played in the Cowboys are 19-6. In games the Cowboys have won Elliott has averaged...

2016 -- 9.7 carries and 51.6 yards in the 1st half / 21.4 - 113.3 total
2017 -- 13.1 carries and 53.6 yards in the 1st half / 26.5 - 112.8
Average -- 10.8 carries and 52.1 yards in the 1st half / 23.0 - 113.6

In games Elliott has played that the Cowboys lost...

2016 -- 15 carries and 59 yards in the 1st half / 22 - 79 yards total
2017 -- 11.25 carries and 40 yards in the 1st half / 20.75 - 76.5
Average -- 12.5 carries and 46.3 yards in the 1st half / 21.2 - 77.3

Charting the Cowboys overall commitment to the rushing attack since 2016...
H
2016 -- 14.9 carries and 78.5 yards in the 1st half / 31.2 - 149.75 yards total
2017 -- 14.9 carries and 66.6 yards in the 1st half / 30.0 - 135.6
2018 -- 11.3 carries and 58 yards in the 1st half / 22.0 - 132.7

It has not been a huge drop off in total production running the ball, but I think being more patient in the run and sticking with it a little bit more has a correlation with Dak's success. Run it more throw it less. Dak needs to be managed, he's not going to win you games throwing it 30 times, but under the proper supervision he won't lose games.
The talent is way inferior. Witten was still playing near an All Pro level in 16 at route running and blocking. Dez was still a viable threat downfield with the ball in the air and catching it at its highest point. That made things easier for Beasley to get open, and most importantly, much easier for Dak to move the sticks to keep drives alive so we could feed Zeke.

If you look at Witten 2016 and 2017, the numbers weren’t much different. This is also true for Dez. But both players were vastly different in 16 and 17. They were both highly effective in 16. In 17 they clearly declined. Witten could no longer gain separation and his blocking was more inconsistent. Witten knew he was done and retired. Dez failed receptions at an alarming rate. Way more than in 16. Letting Dez go was the right decision but they missed the boat on Sammy Watkins. We really needed him especially after Witten blindsided everyone with his retirement. The talent this year on offense is way inferior than 16 not to mention the leadership and Dak and Zeke are suffering because of it.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent is way inferior. Witten was still playing near an All Pro level in 16 at route running and blocking. Dez was still a viable threat downfield with the ball in the air and catching it at its highest point. That made things easier for Beasley to get open, and most importantly, much easier for Dak to move the sticks to keep drives alive so we could feed Zeke.

If you look at Witten 2016 and 2017, the numbers weren’t much different. This is also true for Dez. But both players were vastly different in 16 and 17. They were both highly effective in 16. In 17 they clearly declined. Witten could no longer gain separation and his blocking was more inconsistent. Witten knew he was done and retired. Dez failed receptions at an alarming rate. Way more than in 16. Letting Dez go was the right decision but they missed the boat on Sammy Watkins. We really needed him especially after Witten blindsided everyone with his retirement. The talent this year on offense is way inferior than 16 not to mention the leadership and Dak and Zeke are suffering because of it.

Yes the talent in 2016 was a lot better at TE and slightly so at WR, IMO.

I think 2016 Dez was a lot closer to 2017 version than 2014 version, save for the playoff game when he really showed up. In 2016 Dez was still living off reputation IMO, and the offense benefited as a whole because defenses were still paying attention to him. His 2016 regular season was slightly better than 2017, main difference being that it was viewed through the lens of winning. Fast forward to 2017 and the team is losing and his frustration starts showing up, so the narrative is different, but the on-field production was fairly comparable.

Witten was good in 2016. All-Pro? Not sure about that. I would say fringe Pro-Bowler at best that year. Still much better than the shit we have this year. The TE group has collectively fallen on its face this year, I had hoped and kind of expected much better.

Losing Frederick is probably the biggest difference I can point to at this time. Dak has never had to deal with pressure up the gut like he has had to so far this year. He's made a lot of poor throws as a result which is not helping the WR group at all. Makes me wonder how effective Looney is when it comes to making the line calls, because even without Frederick there is still enough talent on this unit that it shouldn't be getting beat as bad as it has been.

Maybe slightly inferior talent is an understatement, but not a huge one. Still, I maintain that not being more dedicated to running the ball has been to Dak's detriment.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well on over reaction Monday it past time to over react
Fire all of the coaches except Richards and Lal
Rod will retire I think or keep him as a consultant
Trade up for the kid from Oregon Dak is not the answer IMHO
Hire a innovative offensive head coach and not some retread but that’s for after the season
Today
Immediately dismiss Linehan bring in anybody it could not be any worse this team needs a almost complete turnover from Garrett on down.