• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Frost & Nebraska looking elsewhere for this season

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 bylaws are not public.

Nebraska will address the issue at some point. You can be sure that if they schedule a game with NDSU, there is nothing in the bylaws preventing it and they're willing to litigate.

Man, a game against NDSU is a no win for Huskers. They are expected to beat them badly, if they don't or lose that game, all shit would break loose.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, a game against NDSU is a no win for Huskers. They are expected to beat them badly, if they don't or lose that game, all shit would break loose.

They want to play.

Anybody.

The chancellor, the AD, the HC, and the players.

Let 'em play. Win or Lose.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want to play.

Anybody.

The chancellor, the AD, the HC, and the players.

Let 'em play. Win or Lose.

Is it worth the risk of getting kicked out or penalized by King Warren??

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Staples pod is about Nebraska vs the B16...

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if Nebraska came to Norman on September 12th.

Think people would watch that??
I'd have it on in the background....while I watched last year's Iron Bowl for the 28th time.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big12, ACC. And Pac12 have all had multiple national champions or runner-ups in the BCS/Playoff era. With the B1G, only Ohio State has won a national title or played in the title game.

I thought we were talking about Nebraska making a mistake leaving the B12?

What team from the Pac12 has won a national title since Nebraska left the B12? What team from the B12 has won a national title since Nebraska has left?

Nebraska's move to the B10 was the right move since they've gotten significantly more money, and the B10 conference as a whole has been much better than the B12 during that time period.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we were talking about Nebraska making a mistake leaving the B12?

What team from the Pac12 has won a national title since Nebraska left the B12? What team from the B12 has won a national title since Nebraska has left?

Nebraska's move to the B10 was the right move since they've gotten significantly more money, and the B10 conference as a whole has been much better than the B12 during that time period.
LOL much better than the Big 12?? outside of the first CFP in 2014 (which TCU should have been selected) what has made it that much better? Big 12 week in, week out is a harder schedule just with QB play alone.. You think defense travels week to week better than offensive machines?

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think that would be between the TV companies attorneys and the Big 10 attorneys.

Not sure why the TV companies would feel obligated to pay out those contracts for games not played.

IMHO this is really interesting for a couple of reasons dealing with two different contracts. The two biggest questions are if the networks are obligated to pay even if there is no football(I doubt they are unless the conferences have much better lawyers that the networks) and is the conferences obligated to pay guaranteed monies to the schools regardless of the season happening. Either way, I can see a renegotiation of both contracts which normally opens the door for conference realignment.
:lol: do people really thing the Big 10 would be cool with letting a team go play in another conference for a season? Nobody is that stupid, right?

I have no dog in this fight but IMHO that is the wrong question to ask. Sure the conference will not be cool with it but the question is can they prevent it? I have no idea but unless there is something ironclad in the contract then Nebraska is free to do so. The conference will retaliate and this will be litigated for years. IF Nebraska decides to play any number of OOC games then we will learn more about how conferences really work and what authority and responsibilities they have.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are multiple schools that the Big Ten could add and replace Nebraska and what would Nebraska do?

Like who?

You have to remember, you're not just replacing their football team, you're replacing their fanbase.

That is a fanbase that, no matter how bad their team is, sells out their stadium every Saturday and is willing to travel all over the country to support their teams, thus adding to the revenues of every other team in the conference.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest -- With conference postponing football -- Scott Frost sees his opportunity to hand pick a schedule and finally win enough games to get the Huskers bowl eligible.

so true.

and :harbs3:jumped on canceling the season so he could finally have a season without a loss to OSU.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nebraska meltdown once they have to come to terms that they arent going to be playing a season will be a good lead up to the SEC meltdown when their season eventually falls apart.

The Big 12 has voted to go forward with fall sports. Chances of the SEC canceling is now pretty much less than zero unless something major happens.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it worth the risk of getting kicked out or penalized by King Warren??

Don't you think Nebraska's lawyers aren't looking to see what, if anything, the B1G can do?

I don't know if Nebraska can pull this off or not. I'm guessing, not. But I am a huge fan of them trying.

The PAC has also canceled, USC has been very quiet during all of this. I am hoping that the reason is because they are closely monitoring what Nebraska is doing and planning their own move if it starts looking like Nebraska can pull this off.

To be clear, I don't think that is what's happening. I just know that USC has been very quiet and that the players showed up to practice yesterday as if it were a regular day.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like who?

You have to remember, you're not just replacing their football team, you're replacing their fanbase.

That is a fanbase that, no matter how bad their team is, sells out their stadium every Saturday and is willing to travel all over the country to support their teams, thus adding to the revenues of every other team in the conference.
Conference doesn't get a share of the gate btw.. But the old way of markets is dying. They may be more valuable now than it was 10 years ago since their fans would stream games if it had too.. which is a selling point for a conference like the Big 12.. you can control your tier 3 rights. Two football games, plus Vollebally, baseball and whatever else they play.

As far as teams that would leave? Iowa St, Kansas, Mizzu, maybe even UVA

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO this is really interesting for a couple of reasons dealing with two different contracts. The two biggest questions are if the networks are obligated to pay even if there is no football(I doubt they are unless the conferences have much better lawyers that the networks) and is the conferences obligated to pay guaranteed monies to the schools regardless of the season happening. Either way, I can see a renegotiation of both contracts which normally opens the door for conference realignment.

I have no dog in this fight but IMHO that is the wrong question to ask. Sure the conference will not be cool with it but the question is can they prevent it? I have no idea but unless there is something ironclad in the contract then Nebraska is free to do so. The conference will retaliate and this will be litigated for years. IF Nebraska decides to play any number of OOC games then we will learn more about how conferences really work and what authority and responsibilities they have.

When you are dealing with a contract in the $50-100+ million range -- they will have every base covered and without question it will have a force majeure clause. No school is getting paid if games aren't played.

And while we can't see the actual contracts the school sign to join a conference -- it is a no brainer to assume they have verbiage inside them where they can't play outside the conference with the exception of certain # of OOC games (3) and bowl games.

We aren't talking about elementary contracts here, where it is scribbled on a piece of paper. The contracts are probably 100's of pages long and covers the conferences ass for any and all situations. And even IF they didn't have a clause for a pandemic prior to Nebraska joining the B1G -- the H1N1 was in 2009, before Nebraska joined the B1G, so they would have added one as a precaution. Though the force majeure would most likely cover it anyways.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we schedule 3 '"noncon" games against the Big 12 for nostalgias sake. I would like K-St, Texas, and OU... in the order.