• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scenario: Edberg's best stuff if playing today?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take Stefan Edberg at his height of precision, late-80s/early-90s, when he was winning multiple Wimbledons and US Opens.

Now, let's place him as the 5th seed in this year's Wimbledon.

How would the Swede's serve n' volley game of back then fare now?

Would he get far, or are modern player's return games just WAY too good?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take Stefan Edberg at his height of precision, late-80s/early-90s, when he was winning multiple Wimbledons and US Opens.

Now, let's place him as the 5th seed in this year's Wimbledon.

How would the Swede's serve n' volley game of back then fare now?

Would he get far, or are modern player's return games just WAY too good?

Not very far. You are correct that with todays racket technology the return games are just too good.

The other thing to keep in mind is that players even in the 80s did not have the training and diet that players do today. Some lesser pros from the 70s would be nothing more than club players today.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Edberg came up as a young player on today's rocket launcher racquets/strings, I think he would have a game that looks quite a bit different than it did back then. I think he would be just as competitive and successful in today's era as he was in his own.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Edberg came up as a young player on today's rocket launcher racquets/strings, I think he would have a game that looks quite a bit different than it did back then. I think he would be just as competitive and successful in today's era as he was in his own.
That's explicitly not the question at hand.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's explicitly not the question at hand.
You seem to know a lot about tennis, and it's great to have more fans on here. There's only about 3-4 who post regularly, so I'd rather not be at odds with anybody.

Whatever I did to offend you, I apologize. The grow up thing in the other thread was a little much, I understand. I love all tennis, including the Wimbledon finals you mentioned.

In your scenario, would Edberg be playing with his old equipment or modern equipment? If he's playing on modern equipment that he's familiar with, I see him being very competitive in today's era. He would be able to return well enough on his own to do well. If he's playing on his equipment 25-30 years ago, he'd have no chance to compete.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just transport Edberg from when he won those two US Opens with the Pro Staff Classic 6.1

IMG_0551.jpg