• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Say what?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears land in Top-10 for most cap space headed into season

I don't exactly keep up with the financial comings & goings of the NFL. But if you would have told me that the Bears are in the top 10 for the most cap space in the league, I would have say yeah right, where's the punchline. I honestly thought we were in the bottom 10, not the top.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna need that money in the near future...especially after we win the Super Bowl.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna need that money in the near future...especially after we win the Super Bowl.
Hah!!! I like your thinking!!

Yeah, the article did make note that Pace will have to continue his cap space wizardry, as he'll need it in the coming offseasons when a number of players will be coming after some big paydays.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I think our cap issues going forward will mostly concern those with whom we still have to pay. As opposed to cap already being eaten up. Could be wrong. Leno's restructuring also helped.

Whitehair extension is supposed to come literally any day now. That's according to some reports.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Trubisky earns that franchise QB money that will change. It's a good problem to have though.

Yeah, Jackson, Cohen and Trubisky are all going to have to get paid around the same time. It's going to take a juggling act. Mack deal is already basically like having a QB contract on the books. Sacrifices will have to be made. Trevathan is likely gone after this year. Which is sort of okay, since he'll turn 30 and Roquan Smith should be ready to assume his role as field general from that position.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I think our cap issues going forward will mostly concern those with whom we still have to pay. As opposed to cap already being eaten up. Could be wrong. Leno's restructuring also helped.

Whitehair extension is supposed to come literally any day now. That's according to some reports.

That would be sweet.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Jackson, Cohen and Trubisky are all going to have to get paid around the same time. It's going to take a juggling act. Mack deal is already basically like having a QB contract on the books. Sacrifices will have to be made. Trevathan is likely gone after this year. Which is sort of okay, since he'll turn 30 and Roquan Smith should be ready to assume his role as field general from that position.

And James Daniels shortly thereafter...Man it's crazy to think how much we're gonna have to do to keep this core intact. Losses will be had so that's kind of sad to think about. We better win this damn thing in the meantime.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And James Daniels shortly thereafter...Man it's crazy to think how much we're gonna have to do to keep this core intact. Losses will be had so that's kind of sad to think about. We better win this damn thing in the meantime.

Yeah, windows are smaller than many want to assume. We just look at how young we are and want to think "Man, we could have this team for 5-10 years!". The reality is that guys have to get paid and unlike baseball... there's a cap. Age is not the biggest hurdle to keeping a core together or sustaining a long window of contention.

@Beengay fudgepackers Really said it best when he talked about how this could very well be the most talent we have together at the same time inside of our current window. This isn't going to last unless Pace just keeps acing drafts. Another year with a handcuffed draft from the Mack deal ain't helping that happen. (Not that I would dream of undoing that trade)

This is also a unique year in that we could have the most talent together that we ever will on D. While Trubisky may also really have a shot at breaking out. Last year, the D was Super Bowl ready, but we were still bringing along our young QB. If Trubisky doesn't take that next step this year, we may miss our best chance to win a SB.

Obviously, you never know. Pace has done something amazing - which is create trust from the fan-base towards the Bears front office. Even in the 2000's when we had some good teams, that NEVER existed with Angelo. After the Emery era, I didn't see how we'd ever feel like that. But somehow... I feel comfortable with him in command. It's almost like *gulp*... we're a functional organization. *GASP!*

Maybe he can keep this thing going. But for now, as I see it? There's a lot of pressure to win a Super Bowl in 19 and 20. A LOT.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have never guessed we were that high either. Especially with the Mack deal. that alone is huge. I guess after that though, who has a big contract?

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We Bear fans can only hope.

Yeah, you have to have that guy in this NFL with the way the rules favor the offenses. If Trubs takes that step look out.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson will want top tier money.
Anything can happen with Trubisky.
I don't think Cohen could demand top tier money.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Trubisky earns that franchise QB money that will change. It's a good problem to have though.
With the money being tossed around the league for mediocre quarterbacks like Cousins... I hate to see what Trubisky will cost Chicago.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the money being tossed around the league for mediocre quarterbacks like Cousins... I hate to see what Trubisky will cost Chicago.
He'll cost a lot regardless. A functional quarterback is worth a lot when there's so few to go around.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any team with a starting QB on a rookie contract is going to have lots of cap space. it's just how the league works now.

teams with vet QB's are now paying them $30 mill per year and that eats up cap space quickly.