• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres call up more muscle for game 5

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabres shaking it up!

Lindy Ruff says he is playing a hunch by calling up tiny Nathan Gerbe from the Buffalo Sabres’ farm team and installing him on the power play as part of his plan to avoid elimination Friday night at the hands of the Boston Bruins.

The Sabres’ will also be missing left winger Thomas Vanek, who was lost in the second game of the series, which they trail 3-1, to an ankle injury. There were hopes Vanek could play but Ruff said the forward told him his ankle is still not ready for the stress of a playoff game.

Gerbe, 22, is listed at 5-foot-6 in the record book but he must have shown up for the measuring with his skates on. But he did produce 56 points in 57 games this season for the Sabres’ American Hockey League team, the Portland Pirates. He also had five points in 10 games with the Sabres last fall.

Out is underachieving veteran Raffi Torres. He arrived in a trade with the Columbus Blue Jackets at the NHL trade deadline in March but has been a big disappointment. He does have two assists in four games in the first-round series against the Bruins, which ties him with the team lead and says much about the Sabres’ meager offensive output. But that is not good enough, Ruff said.

“It’s really tough,” Ruff said of his decision after the Sabres’ game-day skate Friday morning. “It’s a hunch. It’s throwing a kid in who we think can give us that offensive spark.

“[Torres] played hard but there’s nothing on the scoresheet. It’s not an easy decision.”

The Bruins lead the best-of-seven series 3-1 because they have been able to bottle up the Sabres’ offence, particularly the power play. The unit is 0-for-14 in four games.

Ruff shuffled the power play again Friday morning, trying out three rookies on the second unit – forwards Gerbe and Tyler Ennis and defenceman Tyler Myers.

Gerbe he plans to play a physical game and no one should discount him because of his size.

“My mindset going into the game is to provide the energy I can,” he said. “Fore-checking is the best part of my game, going in and shaking loose some pucks.

“I’ve been playing physical my whole life. I’m not worried about physical play. I know when to dodge hits.”

Last edited by a moderator:

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect game 5 will be very physical at a high intensity. The Bruins have fallen behind early in each of the 1st 4 games. I know the Sabres will come out flying. We just have to play solid defense, stay out of the box, and take advantage of scoring opportunities.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBC showed the two Tylers (Myers and Ennis) walking into the arena together. 6'7" and 5'9" respectively. Ennis has at least 3 inches on Gerbe.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physical size aside. Lets just hope they bring that vital organ located in their chest called a heart.

Pommers, Connolly and Stafford would do us all a favor by showing up tonight.

And this team misses Hecht in a big way. He is so consistent and scores the important goals here and there and rarely makes a mistake. The Sabres record the last few years with him out reflects this.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physical size aside. Lets just hope they bring that vital organ located in their chest called a heart.

Pommers, Connolly and Stafford would do us all a favor by showing up tonight.

And this team misses Hecht in a big way. He is so consistent and scores the important goals here and there and rarely makes a mistake. The Sabres record the last few years with him out reflects this.

Agreed on Hecht, Boss. He brings a little of everything to the rink every game. Steady, versatile player with a nice skillset.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sabres need to win this game for The Miller. He was incredible in game four, especially in overtime. He deserved a better fate.

Yes he was and kudos to the Bruins. They are playing great positional defensive hockey. The Sabres on the PP can't get any shooting lanes. Time to stop the big wind ups from the points and get those wrist shots on goal and get the grunt work done there on the rebounds.