• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban Hires Applewhite

Sheluvsbama

Gone to the Devil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, the turnover there is just crazy. Did another coach break out of the shackles Saban keeps them in under Bryant-Denny? That's the only way I can explain the turnover there.

Easy enough to explain, really. They keep getting hired away. People think if they are a coach under Saban that they ARE Saban. It is annoying that Alabama's coaches are pursued every season.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love him to be the OC for Bama. He was the worst one Saban has had during his run at Bama.
Actually he improved the Offense a lot from the year before in his lone season as OC. He really wasn't around when the talent started pouring in.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love him to be the OC for Bama. He was the worst one Saban has had during his run at Bama.

Well Sark was 0-1 and we got him again, so......

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headline reads like a ghey new drink name

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he improved the Offense a lot from the year before in his lone season as OC. He really wasn't around when the talent started pouring in.
It’s been a while but I remember Bama fans telling me if he hadn’t left he was going to be asked to. However you typically hear lots of crap when people leave.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Applewhite did well at Bama.
He had that ABSOKUTE SHIT 2013 Longhorn team one better half from Sunni g the conference and probably the Fuesra.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Applewhite did well at Bama.
He had that ABSOKUTE SHIT 2013 Longhorn team one better half from Sunni g the conference and probably the Fuesra.
Did you have a stroke half way through that post?

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s been a while but I remember Bama fans telling me if he hadn’t left he was going to be asked to. However you typically hear lots of crap when people leave.
He wasn't being forced out. All fans always try to dampen losses. People forget Applewhite wasn't the only one involved in modeling the Alabama Offense then. Joe Pendry was brought in to support him(Assistant head coach) and kept the "vision" of the Offense going when the new OC came in after Applewhite.

The first season in general was largely Alabama going with what they had but recruiting to what they wanted to be and you see that in the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes. Heavy emphasis on the Offensive line and running backs with big Physical receivers and tight ends. That was the first 5 years of Saban's Alabama. They started going smaller/burner at receiver around 2012 and 2013 to adjust to the changing times of spreading the ball out more. They also started targeting more mobility in the QB position.

IMO Applewhite left the first time because Saban wanted his Offense a certain way and it restricted his freedom to do what he wanted. Which is understandable and makes the most sense. Saban tends to know what he wants and for some coaches they want more freedom.

Last edited:

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck are you talking about? The turnover is because people see success and want a piece of it. Where are all these coaches who are leaving because they are able to get away from Saban's shackles? More importantly, why do all these high profile coaches come to Saban?

OC: Applewhite - pushed out, missed Texas, his wife made him leave, whatever, didn't belong in the role no matter. 1st year filler.
OC: Jim McElwain - Left to be HC of Colorado St, then Florida
OC: Nuss - pushed out stolen by Michigan for OC.
OC: Kiffin - HC of FAU
OC: Sark - OC for NFL team
OC: Daboll - OC for NFL team
OC: Locksley - HC for Maryland.

DC: Steele - pushed out, 1st year filler
DC: Smart - HC at Georgia
DC: Pruitt - HC at Tennessee
DC: Tosh - one of the best recruiters in college, but was in way over his head, went to the NFL to learn X's and O's.

Congrats on Dabo finding a DC nobody wants to hire as a HC, but you're just fucking stupid.

Venables is waiting for Saban to retire and Dabo to go to Bama. I mean hell, he is a KSU alum and if I'm sure if he had any interest in returning there they would have made sure it happened.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venables is waiting for Saban to retire and Dabo to go to Bama. I mean hell, he is a KSU alum and if I'm sure if he had any interest in returning there they would have made sure it happened.

No clue if it's true or not, but I've read he has anger issues or something and it throws red flags.

Similar things were said about Pruitt, but Tennessee got desperate and picked him up. You'd think someone would roll the dice on Venables as well.

Would love to get a high quality DC like that who stuck around for so many years.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue if it's true or not, but I've read he has anger issues or something and it throws red flags.

Similar things were said about Pruitt, but Tennessee got desperate and picked him up. You'd think someone would roll the dice on Venables as well.

Would love to get a high quality DC like that who stuck around for so many years.
You had Kirby for 10 years practically.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabo isn’t leaving Clemson. They are going to name the damn stadium after him and he will be a God on campus from this point on. You don’t leave that to live in Saban’s Shadow.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had Kirby for 10 years practically.

Yeah but Saban basically had to teach him everything and hold his hand a bunch. He wasn't that great if we're being honest and seemed to rely on Saban a lot etc. He was a great recruiter and seemed to have a work ethic that matched Saban which lead to generally good gameplans, but he wasn't the play caller of a Pruitt etc.

I thought we were trying to do that with Tosh as well, but he just ended up in over his head I guess.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Saban basically had to teach him everything and hold his hand a bunch. He wasn't that great if we're being honest and seemed to rely on Saban a lot etc. He was a great recruiter and seemed to have a work ethic that matched Saban which lead to generally good gameplans, but he wasn't the play caller of a Pruitt etc.

I thought we were trying to do that with Tosh as well, but he just ended up in over his head I guess.
Ok. First I’ve heard that opinion but I’m sure you’re corrrect.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. First I’ve heard that opinion but I’m sure you’re corrrect.

He wasn't bad and it wasn't obvious until Pruitt came to Alabama. But after watching Pruitt call a defense vs Smart calling one, I'd take Pruitt without even blinking.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't bad and it wasn't obvious until Pruitt came to Alabama. But after watching Pruitt call a defense vs Smart calling one, I'd take Pruitt without even blinking.
I've met Pruitt on several occasions and he can barely form sentences. Not impressed.