• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Cut

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice of them to cut him earlier so he could get a job somewhere else.

My thoughts as well... Glad they cut ties after week 2 of preseason to give him a chance to land on another team...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a punter for us, wish him the best.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has been bottom 5 once, bottom 15 once, and bottom 10 twice in the last 5 years (couldn't find 2015) of NET punting... Sure some of that can be attributed to your coverage team, but I wonder how many of those were line drive punts by Ryan. He seemed to punt great at times and then other times lay some real duds. Like we'd have the ball at our 30-35 and they opponent would end up at their 35... like a net 35 yard punt, lol.

Glad we drafted Dickson, his punts seem to carry a lot more and have a bigger hang time. Regardless, Ryan was nowhere near worth the money he was getting paid.

Wish him the best of luck though, he did put on some good hits from time to time and made that great TD pass to Gilliam.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has been bottom 5 once, bottom 15 once, and bottom 10 twice in the last 5 years (couldn't find 2015) of NET punting... Sure some of that can be attributed to your coverage team, but I wonder how many of those were line drive punts by Ryan. He seemed to punt great at times and then other times lay some real duds. Like we'd have the ball at our 30-35 and they opponent would end up at their 35... like a net 35 yard punt, lol.

Glad we drafted Dickson, his punts seem to carry a lot more and have a bigger hang time. Regardless, Ryan was nowhere near worth the money he was getting paid.

Wish him the best of luck though, he did put on some good hits from time to time and made that great TD pass to Gilliam.

It was over the moment the Chargers returner returned one of Ryans punts for a touchdown in the 2nd quarter. Even the announcer spoke the difference when Dickson punted it boomed high enough in the air for the coverage team to tackle the ball carrier. When Ryan punted it there was no hang time and the returner scored a touchdown. Man there was a huge difference

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was over the moment the Chargers returner returned one of Ryans punts for a touchdown in the 2nd quarter. Even the announcer spoke the difference when Dickson punted it boomed high enough in the air for the coverage team to tackle the ball carrier. When Ryan punted it there was no hang time and the returner scored a touchdown. Man there was a huge difference

Yep... Ryan had a good long punt but he totally line drived it RIGHT to mid field - and it was decently long... mid 50s, but not some 60+ yard boomer. And even in his first preseason game he had another one of those duds...

Frankly I was never a huge fan of Ryan's punting. I was never sure which guy was going to show up. He had some good games, but he was a TERRIBLE directional kicker and had duds every once in a while. Not a Blair Walsh by any means... but I totally got why Seattle drafted a punter this year (and moved up for one). I was ecstatic when we took Dickson. I didn't watch the kid in College or anything, but I knew he who was after watching highlights and reading through PFF.

And I was laughing pretty hard when all the analysts were like, "A PUNTER!? WUT!?" Uh... have you seen this offense? It's not going to turn into the #1 offense overnight... we're going to be punting a lot.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... Ryan had a good long punt but he totally line drived it. And even in his first preseason game he had another one of those duds...

Frankly I was never a huge fan of Ryan's punting. I was never sure which guy was going to show up. He had some good games, but he was a TERRIBLE directional kicker and had duds every once in a while. Not a Blair Walsh by any means... but I totally got why Seattle drafted a punter this year (and moved up for one). I was ecstatic when we took Dickson. I didn't watch the kid in College or anything, but I knew he who was after watching highlights and reading through PFF.

He was pretty awesome in our Super Bowl year. IIRC, the Seahawks allowed something like 15 punt return yards ALL year that season, at least going into the last game of the season where they gave up a couple of big returns.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't take long:

Source: Ex-Seahawks punter Ryan to join Bills

That's good, I certainly have nothing against Ryan, glad he found a new home quickly. I think Seattle did him a solid by cutting him now instead of waiting until post preseason. HEY RICHARD SHERMAN!? TAKE NOTE, there's a reason we didn't try to negotiate with you and waste your time...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't take long:

Source: Ex-Seahawks punter Ryan to join Bills

That's good, I certainly have nothing against Ryan, glad he found a new home quickly. I think Seattle did him a solid by cutting him now instead of waiting until post preseason. HEY RICHARD SHERMAN!? TAKE NOTE, there's a reason we didn't try to negotiate with you and waste your time...

Sherm was happy in Seattle and didn't want to leave. Can't really fault him for that.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... Ryan had a good long punt but he totally line drived it RIGHT to mid field - and it was decently long... mid 50s, but not some 60+ yard boomer. And even in his first preseason game he had another one of those duds...

And I was laughing pretty hard when all the analysts were like, "A PUNTER!? WUT!?" Uh... have you seen this offense? It's not going to turn into the #1 offense overnight... we're going to be punting a lot.

I thought he was a really good punter, overall. I lost count of the times he pinned a beam behind the five yard line. However, he did not have a good season last year and that's all it takes for a punter/kicker making seven figures to be released. It is a fact of life.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was a really good punter, overall. I lost count of the times he pinned a beam behind the five yard line. However, he did not have a good season last year and that's all it takes for a punter/kicker making seven figures to be released. It is a fact of life.
The other half of the punchline is the team now also has a guy who is younger, cheaper, and kicks it better.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good Saskatchewan boy to boot.

Thanks for the effort over the years Jon!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1.5 second difference on hang time for both of their 50-plus yard punts in Dickson's favor... That is a big difference... Ryan out kicked his coverage... Dickson kicked into tight coverage...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye Ryan, i think he knew and so did the coaches that he was gone. This is a classy move by the club to give him time to stick some place else and he will. He is to good to not stick.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was good in his time but the last couple of years have been a little shakey.

It is funny that I had the opposite impression of him then some here. His distance on punts was short but he went for hangtime and positioning. As his leg lost a little he probably started compensating and our coverage team also got worse.

Thanks for the years and good luck Mr. Ryan!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were bottom 10 net in 2015 mind you (didn't originally give this because page was error'ing). So 5 consecutive years of bottom 10 NET punting, with two atrocious years. I could give two Fs how long a guy can kick it.

2013 we were top 10 in net but also were #2 in opponent yards returned. EVERY other year from 2013 onwards (exception 2016, #18)? We have been top 10 in punt return yards allowed. We were #1 in 2015...

Now some might argue we had bad coverage, but I see a trend here... I see a kicker who is either a) terrible at directional kicking, or b) hitting line drives.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickson is special

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1