• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson Traded to Broncos

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade earns an F- for Denver.

View attachment 356162
The trade was probably a B-. The contract extension is the F-. A veteran player who is 2 years into a 2nd or 3rd NFL contract shouldn't have more than 1 year fully guaranteed at any point. Guaranteeing his salary for 2025 before the 2024 season begins is insanity. I don't feel sorry for the Broncos, (or the Cardinals who have done the same thing with Murray's contract).

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically the Broncos are paying Wilson $39M for 2024 and letting him go for nothing. The other $46M is dead money they've already paid him for his services in 2023 and 2023. They just haven't cap accounted for that yet. They were always going to have to account for that dead money. Paying someone $39M to do a job and having them go without even starting the job is the real bummer.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically the Broncos are paying Wilson $39M for 2024 and letting him go for nothing. The other $46M is dead money they've already paid him for his services in 2023 and 2023. They just haven't cap accounted for that yet. They were always going to have to account for that dead money. Paying someone $39M to do a job and having them go without even starting the job is the real bummer.
So essentially they will be paying big for the QB position for the next two years even if he is on a rookie contract. That is not ideal. That is usually the time to build the team around a cheap QB and Denver can’t even use that to their full advantage

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawk fan, I want to thank the Bronco's for the extremely "fair" trade two years ago. I wish Seattle would have gotten more but George Payton was a shrewd negotiator.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade was probably a B-. The contract extension is the F-. A veteran player who is 2 years into a 2nd or 3rd NFL contract shouldn't have more than 1 year fully guaranteed at any point. Guaranteeing his salary for 2025 before the 2024 season begins is insanity. I don't feel sorry for the Broncos, (or the Cardinals who have done the same thing with Murray's contract).
This was an over-reaction. Guaranteeing 25-33% of year 4 before year 3 began would have been fine. If the Broncos keeping Wilson for 2024 was going to only guarantee Wilson $9M of his 2025 money rather than $37M they would probably have kept him for 2024. Equally Wilson could have offered to reduce the guarantee to $9M. That would have kept him in the starter's role and earned him $9M, (admittedly delayed until 2025). Another observation would be that if he's not prepared to play for the Broncos for $9M what makes anyone think he's prepared to play somewhere else for minimum wage?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weakest,dumbest trade ever.beats the walker uhaul by the vikes to dallas.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawk fan, I want to thank the Bronco's for the extremely "fair" trade two years ago. I wish Seattle would have gotten more but George Payton was a shrewd negotiator.

We would've gotten more, but Wilson had a no trade clause (he had to agree) and Denver was the only team on his list that was interested. Seattle was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I gave the Broncos and Seahawks a B+ and B on the actual trade. I can't remember which one I graded SLIGHTLY higher but it was very comparable.

What I didn't get was everyone giving Seattle an F and calling them morons and that Denver FLEECED Seattle and was somehow Super Bowl bound and an immediate competitor and how Denver was SOOOO much better. That was flat out ridiculous. I think I said, "Denver will be lucky to make the playoffs" given how competitive the AFC was and with KC and at the time the Chargers in the division. Even the Raiders were coming off a good season in 2021.

Wilson was slowing down with his legs, there was speculation on how healthy his finger/arm would be (after that finger surgery he rushed back from), and he makes his OLs worse because of his playstyle... I didn't think Wilson would drop off that much, but I certainly didn't think he was going to SAVE the Broncos single handedly... Couple that with a few of their staffing changes (coaching).... I was skeptical on it.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weakest,dumbest trade ever.beats the walker uhaul by the vikes to dallas.
I disagree. Sure, the Wilson trade was bad, but it wasn't quite the haul that the Cowboys got for Walker in the revised trade.

Dallas traded away RB Walker and RB D.Nelson, 2 third rounders, 1 fifth and a 10th rounder.

Dallas got 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, 1 third rounder, and 1 sixth round pick to go along with 4 players.

Despite criticism, Jimmy Johnson bragged that he committed "The Great Train Robbery.”

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw him play like 3 or 4 times last season.

Our starting QB's combined for 20 TD's to 18 picks. And we went 8-9.

26 TD's to 8 picks on the Raiders last season? We would have won 10 or 11 games last season with those numbers from RW.
That is the problem looking at stats with Russ. It looks alright but it really isn’t.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How little Seattle got in trade should have been a tip-off that Wilson didn't have a ton of teams interested.

I do think Wilson is probably a high-end backup at this point. Or a bridge QB.
Redskins offered more but Russ nixed that trade. Denver was option 2

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has the same number of playoff wins as Denver does in that timeframe and have went through the same number of Head Coaches.

Now I’m not saying id rather be in Denver’s position than Seattle’s but if we’re judging this trade on success then both teams have failed, Seattle just failed a little less.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So essentially they will be paying big for the QB position for the next two years even if he is on a rookie contract. That is not ideal. That is usually the time to build the team around a cheap QB and Denver can’t even use that to their full advantage
The thing most people forget is Denver has the richest owners in the league meaning they can convert some their existing contracts into pure bonuses and free up cap space.

Now I’m sure they can’t do with that every contract as there has to be limits but between the Owners they have, and the cap guy they hired from the Saints they must have a plan. N.O has been in like cap hell every single year for as long as I can remember and they’ve always been fine.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has the same number of playoff wins as Denver does in that timeframe and have went through the same number of Head Coaches.

Now I’m not saying id rather be in Denver’s position than Seattle’s but if we’re judging this trade on success then both teams have failed, Seattle just failed a little less.

Well.... Seattle was more in a rebuild whereas Denver was supposed to be Super Bowl bound (according to all the genius' out there). Also, saying Seattle had the same number of head coach turnovers... I mean you're taking 1 year... Denver has been switching in and out of head coaches for a while.

End of day the trade was just as crappy for the Broncos as the trade was for Seattle acquiring Adams. Both organizations AFTER the dust settled made stupid trades and subsequent contract extensions (Seattle just didn't pay as much because safety vs. QB). Hard to say which one is worse... at least Wilson PLAYED lol.

Seattle pretty much turned it into Charles Cross (decent OT, but now some injuries), Boye Mafe (potential star), and Devon Witherspoon. Seattle naturally got the higher 1st round picks since QB > S... but I think a lot of people expected the 2023 draft pick to be later in the draft (similar to Seattle's pick in the Adams trade).

The Jets turned it into Garrett Wilson (ROY and a solid outing last season) and Vera-Tucker who like Cross is a solid OL but also struggling with injuries. Guards are not as impactful as a LT, but still...

And then both Seattle/Denver drowned themselves in guaranteed/dead cap lol.

My point is, Seattle can gloat about this trade a little, but for you Seatlte fans remember to take a dose of humble pie on the trade that happened 1 year prior lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Payton doesn't care lol. Not to mention, the guys likely in their range in the 1st are plus aged (Nix, Penix). Nix does seem to be a bit in that Brees mold...

Maybe they should trade for someone like Sam Howell? Sign Brissett/Darnold/Tyrod/Minshew?