• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumblings of a Trey Lance trade?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Niners Director of player personnel Ron Carthon becoming the Titans GM. Trey Lance putting a photo of Carthon with some fingers crossed emoji's
There is rumblings of, if the Titans might look into trading for Lance, since Tannehill's will have a 36.6 mil cap hit & a base of 27 mil.
And Willis looked absolutely horrible.

Either way. Seems like Lance is wanting to get out of Dodge with the assurgency of Purdy. Is Lance gonna go the way of Wentz. Not wanting any competition? Not a good sign if the Niners keep him.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Niners Director of player personnel Ron Carthon becoming the Titans GM. Trey Lance putting a photo of Carthon with some fingers crossed emoji's
There is rumblings of, if the Titans might look into trading for Lance, since Tannehill's will have a 36.6 mil cap hit & a base of 27 mil.

Either way. Seems like Lance is wanting to get out of Dodge with the assurgency of Purdy. Is Lance gonna go the way of Wentz. Not wanting any competition? Not a good sign if the Niners keep him.

I think the 49ers work better with a conventional QB like Purdy or even Garoppolo.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood why the hell they wasted all that draft capitol to get him in the first place

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 49ers work better with a conventional QB like Purdy or even Garoppolo.
I never liked Lance to begin with, but they did give up a lot of draft capital & so he has draft pedigree. Some NFL team is always a sucker to try & give a player with Pedigree extra chances. Just kinda curious if this grows legs or not.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked Lance to begin with, but they did give up a lot of draft capital & so he has draft pedigree. Some NFL team is always a sucker to try & give a player with Pedigree extra chances. Just kinda curious if this grows legs or not.

Rosen still sits.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The problem Lance has is he desperately needs to get out and play football to get better. We simply won't know what he's really got until you give him a full season of play to get the on the job experience he needs.

So I can understand him wanting out if Purdy is the unquestioned starter because he's not going to get the playtime he needs and he'd be just wasting away years of his career being a backup.

I'm still high on Lance because he's got the talent and work ethic to be great but he's raw and just needs a chance to struggle and grow before he can take off.

Purdy is growing on me but I need to see more of him before I crown him as a long-term answer to the position. I'm not going to be one of those guys to dismiss what he's done because he's been playing the position at a high level but I also need to see him beat some meaningful teams in meaningful games. I'm just not ready to crown him as Joe Montana either like a lot of fans want to either.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lance was a free agent would any team guarantee him $9.07M over the next 2 seasons? If the answer is no then the 49ers would have to give up Draft capital to offload him. The 49ers management would look less bad if they persist with trying to develop him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of this comes down to these teams picking projects way too high looking for a unicorn like Mahomes. They get stuck in a state of trying to figure out what the kid can do when the kid hasn't had enough college experience. Lance was obviously raw and a work in progress from the start and everybody knew it. This year they figure to let him start and as @Jikkle says, give him the chance to struggle and grow and boom, the injury happens right out of the gate and it sets them back another year on him.
As for Purdy, that's a tough one. On one hand, he fits this system beautifully and has been a revelation coming out of seemingly nowhere but now it leaves them in this situation with Lance that is quickly becoming untenable because the question is still up in the air. Gonna be tough to get equivalent value back and Lance could still end up good with someone else. But they can't just sit him and wait until if/when Purdy comes crashing back to earth. Purdy wins a SB and this all gets magnified even more. Obviously, in that case, Purdy is the day 1 starter barring something totally freakish but they then will never know what Lance can or can't do.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lance was a free agent would any team guarantee him $9.07M over the next 2 seasons? If the answer is no then the 49ers would have to give up Draft capital to offload him. The 49ers management would look less bad if they persist with trying to develop him.

God yes teams would be willing to guarantee him that. Lol. It's laughable to think he is even remotely close to being a negative value player.

Have you looked around the league at the QB situation?

Carson Wentz last offseason after busting completely in Indy and Phili the previous 2 years netted the Colts a couple of decent draft picks and Washington paid him $28M just for the chance to fix him.

And the league's QB situation just continues to look worse and worse as more guys like Rodgers and Brady ponder retirement, Ryan now more or less officially done and guys like Tannehill, Stafford and Cousins being very close to their ends too.

The 49ers will get way more than just a 1st round pick for Lance if they do decide to hand the job to Purdy and move on from him. Way more.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Trey Lance? What are you going to get, Zach Wilson...
I no scout or expert but both of those guys in the right system with a good QB coach “ could” develop into something IMO.
Lance needs time to play which is why he should have never been taken that high and Wilson needs a attitude adjustment to develop his skill set.
Lance would have benefited from a NFL Europe season. Wilson needs a complete attitude makeover before working on his skill set and if he won’t do it he will be playing in the USFL if they last that long.

Just my lazyboy armchair opinion

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The IG post with the 3 fingers crossed emojis could've just been wishing Carthon good luck. That emoji IS the "good luck" emoji.

Even if it IS Lance wanted to get traded, I wouldn't blame him for it. But considering that Lance is still on a relatively cheap deal, and the Niners spent so much for him, I don't see them trading him unless someone offers something rather significant and I think that is doubtful. I'm sure the FO knows they'll never get anything close to what they traded away to get him, though. Still, who knows what'll happen when the QB carousel quits spinning?

Considering how many QB injuries we've seen this year, keeping Lance around as Purdy's backup isn't a bad thing for the Niners, but like others have said, Lance needs playing time in order to develop and from the look of things with Purdy, he's not gonna get it anytime soon in San Fran.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how many QB injuries we've seen this year, keeping Lance around as Purdy's backup isn't a bad thing for the Niners
Heck no, not at all.
Next year for all we know... Shanahan will have Lance standing on one side of Purdy, McCafferty one the other and Deebo coming in motion when the ball is snapped. LOL, maybe Wing-T with a multiple ball carrier.

THIS....This right here is why I think SF wins the NFC side this year. Quinn is good but Shanahan might be the games best right now at getting the looks he wants through formations, motion and alignments. OH...the studs help greatly!

Shanahan has the advantage, and his DC might be the best next head coach in football.

Course...gotta play those games. :whistle:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck no, not at all.
Next year for all we know... Shanahan will have Lance standing on one side of Purdy, McCafferty one the other and Deebo coming in motion when the ball is snapped. LOL, maybe Wing-T with a multiple ball carrier.

THIS....This right here is why I think SF wins the NFC side this year. Quinn is good but Shanahan might be the games best right now at getting the looks he wants through formations, motion and alignments. OH...the studs help greatly!

Shanahan has the advantage, and his DC might be the best next head coach in football.

Course...gotta play those games. :whistle:

Good point on gadget play usage... really hadn't thought about that.

Unless someone piles up a mix of #1s #2/#3s, I can't see the SF front office trading him. Totally understand if Lance wants to move on, but this is life in the NFL. Purdy has taken advantage of his opportunities so far, and while Lance shows promise he needs more playing time. Really like the kid, but it is what it is.

I'm thinking that Shanahan already has Purdy slated as the full time starter in his mind. Compared to JG, the playbook is wide open with this kid - which is amazing to see. The trust is there with the coaches, and it seems to be there with the players as well.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that SF is down so many draft picks actually does make trading Lance quite possible.

They dont have their own 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders. But they do have 3 3rd round comp picks from head coaches/front office hires. And a bunch of extra 6th and 7th rounders too.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that SF is down so many draft picks actually does make trading Lance quite possible.

They dont have their own 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders. But they do have 3 3rd round comp picks from head coaches/front office hires. And a bunch of extra 6th and 7th rounders too.
Maybe... but if this year has proven anything, having QB depth is a huge advantage. I'm not sure the measuring stick is based solely on "what's in our draft cupboard" as much as it's about how much depth do we have at each position. Having two QBs on the roster that have familiarity with the system while being on rookie deals has a ton of value on it's own.