• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rule V Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants did not select anyone in any of the 3 phases of the draft. The lost Shuman in the AAA portion of the draft (no idea who he is. He was never on my radar).

Seth Rosin (one of tz's boys) was taken by the Mutts in te MLB portion. He was part of the Pence trade.

Evan Crawford was taken by Toronto in one of the minor-league phases. He was traded to the Cubs a few years back. I think we got Hobbit in return, but I am not 100% on that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosin will likely be a ML innings eater. Sad to see him go, but our minors are LOADED with arms.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants did not select anyone in any of the 3 phases of the draft. The lost Shuman in the AAA portion of the draft (no idea who he is. He was never on my radar).

Seth Rosin (one of tz's boys) was taken by the Mutts in te MLB portion. He was part of the Pence trade.

Evan Crawford was taken by Toronto in one of the minor-league phases. He was traded to the Cubs a few years back. I think we got Hobbit in return, but I am not 100% on that.

The Evan Crawford taken FROM Toronto (by the ChiSox) is a different Evan Crawford than the one we traded to the cubbies. The guy taken today is a pitcher and was drafted by Toronto. We traded a CF to the cubs. I remember that day well - I was in the car listening to KNBR and it was announced "Fontenot just traded to Giants for Crawford". I went ballistic. No first name was mentioned and I thought they had traded BRANDON Crawford. It wasn't until I got home and looked up the trade on the internet that I calmed down ("Who the fluck is EVAN Crawford" was my reaction).

The Giants couldn't have taken anybody in the major league portion - their 40-man roster is full. And the only reason to take guys in the minor league portion is as roster filler, and the Giants don't have any positional holes at AA or AAA - quite the opposite.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Rosin was traded by the Mets to the dodgers.

Funny career for him already. He's been with 4 organizations, all 4 have rivalries in some way (Giants-Dodgers, Phillies-Mets).

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Seth Rosin was immediately traded to the Dodgers, for cash.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Evan Crawford taken FROM Toronto (by the ChiSox) is a different Evan Crawford than the one we traded to the cubbies. The guy taken today is a pitcher and was drafted by Toronto. We traded a CF to the cubs. I remember that day well - I was in the car listening to KNBR and it was announced "Fontenot just traded to Giants for Crawford". I went ballistic. No first name was mentioned and I thought they had traded BRANDON Crawford. It wasn't until I got home and looked up the trade on the internet that I calmed down ("Who the fluck is EVAN Crawford" was my reaction).

The Giants couldn't have taken anybody in the major league portion - their 40-man roster is full. And the only reason to take guys in the minor league portion is as roster filler, and the Giants don't have any positional holes at AA or AAA - quite the opposite.

That's odd. BR had the OF Crawford (our former guy) listed as the Crawford taken in the draft. Further, The pitcher has MLB time. Those guys rarely get taken in the minor-league portion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosin will likely be a ML innings eater. Sad to see him go, but our minors are LOADED with arms.

Well he did leave our org over a year ago...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's odd. BR had the OF Crawford (our former guy) listed as the Crawford taken in the draft. Further, The pitcher has MLB time. Those guys rarely get taken in the minor-league portion.

I used the MLB release for my info : 2013 MLB Rule 5 Draft results | MLB.com: News

"our" crawford hasn't been with MLB since 2011, and last year played in an independent league.

The pitcher was outrighted to the minors (taken off the 40-man) mid-season this year, so he was available. He didn't pitch very well in the majors, so this is probably a "well, it only costs a little money, he's not on our roster, and maybe he'll work out" hail mary sort of play. Or they need roster filler for their AAA team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...

Sabes really fleeced the Phils on the Pence trade.

Nate was non-tendered by the Phils after the season.

Rosin was just lost in the Rule V draft.

Joseph had a HORRIBLE 2013 and has lost much of the luster from his prospect-status. He was supposed to replace Chooch this season, but that obviously is not happening (they resigned Chooch to a BIG contract).