• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 5- Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE THIS PICK!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! This was a guy I would have been happy with in Round 3... I spoke of this guy about a month or two ago in the draft thread. Most underrated S in this years draft, IMO...

Absolutely love this pick!!! Cheese balls in the air reaction!!!! (Actually threw my nephews colors in the air)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE THIS PICK!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! This was a guy I would have been happy with in Round 3... I spoke of this guy about a month or two ago in the draft thread. Most underrated S in this years draft, IMO...

Absolutely love this pick!!! Cheese balls in the air reaction!!!! (Actually threw my nephews colors in the air)
I would say the time between the pick and this thread is unbelievably short. Nice work!

I love two 5th round safety picks - when they show up at camp - tell them to fight it out.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was one of the BPAs on ESPN late yesterday. Good pick.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am happy with 2 safeties that we have, and we should have much better depth then last year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the time between the pick and this thread is unbelievably short. Nice work!

I love two 5th round safety picks - when they show up at camp - tell them to fight it out.

This is like the Sam Brandon pick all over to me. A guy I have just loved for awhile now and hadn't really gotten talked about a lot until right before the draft. I like Sterns but I LOOOOOOOVE Johnson.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great pick. Imo the best safety in the draft

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm partial to ball hawks who can cover... Tackling is for linebackers!!!

Can't wait to see what Fangio can do with Sterns and Johnson!!!!

I'd have been happy with Johnson in Round 3, let alone Round 5....

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah asked about JJ in the pre draft thread .
saw him as a sleeper on Path to the draft

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm partial to ball hawks who can cover... Tackling is for linebackers!!!

Can't wait to see what Fangio can do with Sterns and Johnson!!!!

I'd have been happy with Johnson in Round 3, let alone Round 5....
I legit would've been fine if Atlanta had taken him at 40 instead of Grant. To get hom in the 160s is insane

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JAMAR JOHNSON | Indiana 5117 | 205 lbs. | JR. Sarasota, Fla. (Riverview) 11/22/1999 (age 21.44) #22
BACKGROUND: Jamar Johnson grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida and played mostly quarterback and running back at the youth level. He started his prep career at Booker High School and moved to defensive back as a sophomore. Johnson transferred to Riverview High School for his final two seasons, making an impact at cornerback, safety, wide receiver and as a return man. As a senior captain, he led Riverview to an 11-2 record and the school’s second-straight district title, finishing with 62 tackles, six tackles for loss and six interceptions with one returned for a touchdown. Johnson earned team MVP honors in 2017 with 13 catches for 219 yards and two scores on offense and three touchdown returns on special teams. He was also a four-year letterman in track, clocking personal bests in the 110 meter hurdles (14.86), long jump (22’11.25”) and triple jump (42’6.75”).
[246]

A three-star recruit out of high school, Johnson was the No. 100-ranked cornerback in the 2018 class and the 171st-ranked recruit in the state of Florida. He received over 25 scholarship offers, including six from Power 5 programs including Indiana, Iowa State and Virginia Tech. Johnson committed to Tom Allen and the Hoosiers. After his breakout junior season, he elected to skip his senior year and enter the 2021 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Rangy athlete with smooth movement skills in coverage...fluid transitions when lined up in the slot...returns his eyes to the quarterback to key and drive on the passing window...quickly reads route combinations and plays with anticipation...natural ball-tracker with soft hands, turning quarterback mistakes into interceptions...the football finds him with 13 interceptions the last four seasons (six as a senior in high school and seven in three years at Indiana)...one of a dozen FBS players to average at least 0.5 interception per game in 2020...averaged 23.7 yards per interception return with one pick-six (7/166/1)...gets physical as a blitzer and in the run game when he wants to...versatile experience across the secondary, playing Indiana’s “Husky” position, free safety and slot corner.
WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent run fits, attacking the wrong lane and struggling through contact...disinterested at times in the run game and put some embarrassing
tackle attempts on tape...drops his eyes and throws his body at the ball carrier instead of breaking down and wrapping...needs to better avoid rub routes...bites hard on play fakes with questionable make-up speed after he is sucked in...undisciplined tendencies, including an ejection (November 2020) for throwing a punch...was arrested and charged with a Class-A misdemeanor for fleeing from police, who approached him after smelling marijuana (December 2018)...only one season as a full- time starter in college.
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Indiana, Johnson was the free safety in former defensive coordinator Kane Womack’s 4-2-5 base scheme, lining up in the boundary and alternating slot responsibilities in subpackages. The Hoosiers led all Power 5 programs in interceptions in 2020, and he led the team with four, allowing only 12 catches and zero touchdowns the last two seasons. Johnson is an instinctive pattern reader with fluid movement skills, allowing him to play out in front and make plays on the football. He can get physical when he wants but tends to be a choosy tackler and made business decisions on tape. Overall, Johnson needs to crank up the toughness and discipline, especially in the run game, but he has the awareness, range and ball skills to compete for interchangeable safety and nickel roles.p
GRADE: 3rd-4th Round

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random off topic but always found Johnson's social media handle funny.

(IwonaGrammy)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing else matters the rest of the draft to me. All a bonus... But if we take Shaka Toney before the draft is over ill erupt.

I would say Demar Hamlin, but 3 S's probably not happening.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when we took Justin Simmons and Will Parks in the same draft, worked out pretty well so let’s hope this double safety draft works out just as well.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like when we take S in the draft we seem to double up.

Caden Sterns and Jamar Johnson
Justin Simmons and Will Parks
Darcel McBath and David Bruton
Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson was BPA by a huge gap so Paton went with his board.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Johnson was Paton's BPA by a large gap then it means he REALLY like Sterns too because he just took Sterns right before Johnson. Like I said before. I like Sterns but I LOVE Johnson. If Sterns can stay healthy and improve on his tackling and regain his FR year he can be very good. His career reminds me a bit of former Colorado LB Jashon Skyes who looked elite as a FR then had the injuries the rest of his career.

Jamar Johnson will lead the NFL in interceptions one day!

(You heard it here first) ;)