• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 2- (trade up) Broncos select: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna look back and laugh at this someday. ;)

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else, Lock may have a healthy chip on his shoulder after sliding so far down....

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Lock's attitude too... Fearless QB. We need that type of leadership at QB. Can we just move right ahead to the Lock era and skip Flacco?

For real as much as I have ragged on Flacco it is really a good setup for Lock playing behind him not having to play right away, but not going to a situation where we have our long term guy.

Will Grier gets to sit behind Cam Newton forever.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overview
Full-field reader offering prototypical size and arm talent, but one that has a concerning lack of accuracy and consistency against top opponents. Inside of each game, Lock makes reads and throws that are worthy of an early pick. There will also be plays in the same game that highlight his random inaccuracy and issues defeating pocket pressure. He has as much pure talent as any quarterback from the 2018 draft, but he won't reach that lofty potential unless he improves his accuracy and learns to play with better in-game presence.

Strengths

• Prototypical combination of size and arm talent
  • Full-field reader with ability to scan and process with good quickness
  • Pocket movements are sudden and twitchy
  • Exceptionally quick ball-handler with sudden release
  • Throws with anticipation
  • Fearless and confident to make challenging throws down the field
  • Fires ropes through constricted seams and in cover-2 buckets
  • Uses eyes to move safeties
  • Rarely lingers on primary targets, preventing defenders from getting early jumps
  • Decent deep ball touch and accuracy and gives his receivers a chance
  • Low sack total due to mobility and feel for edge pressure
  • Maintains field vision when he's on the move
  • Completion total hurt by excessive drops from top targets over last two years
Weaknesses
  • Frustrating inconsistencies with accuracy and touch
  • Fires fastballs on easy, short throws when changeup is needed
  • Arm thrower with truncated follow-through
  • Leaves ball behind his targets on crossers and slants
  • Drops arm slot, leading to batted passes
  • Requires more disciplined footwork from the pocket
  • Production falls off a cliff when forced to move his feet
  • Inconsistent squaring to throw when on the move
  • Poise and decision-making appear tied to level of pressure he sees
  • Drifts back and away from the rush and forces himself into low-percentage throws
  • Lamb-killer with just 14 TDs and 7 INTS against SEC opponents in 2018
  • Confused and unsteady against Alabama and Georgia with multiple turnovers

NFL Comparison

Matthew Stafford

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he's Jay Cutler, but with a soul.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not like Lock at 10 - or 20, but at 42 - that's a steal (especially with Flacco in place).

He is not a polished passer coming out of college, but he is no Jake Cutler. This guy was a 3 year captain at Missou. One thing he does like John Elway - is run.

So magically - Elway has a QB of the present and the QB of the future. Win now and from now on.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Burr-Kervin LB - Washington

Well let's hope he's there in round 5 as we don't have a 4th rounder. Of course with 2 5's we could always move into the 4th if we want.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burr-Kervin would have been a reach in round 3.

Mack Wilson is the best ILB left, but he should have stayed in school. Not real physical and that is a major concern for me in a 3-4 at ILB.

Terrill Hanks of New Mexico State inrigues me some, but even he is more of a rd 5 pick to me.

Ty Summers of TCU would be an interest to me. Not a lot of ILB's left that interest me as far as drafting them. But I knew going into this draft that if we didn't take Bush we probably wouldn't be going ILB early in this draft, so this is really what I expected.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has been very clear and deliberately shut down any talk of Lock starting. We’ve discussed Flacco’s contract already but as a reminder the Broncos can move on for the price of the season’s salary in which they start him. (As a veteran player Flacco would rate his entire season salary if he’s on the roster week 1.)

So we know this: Flacco is the guy in 2019. But of the team decides prior to week 1 of 2020 they’re ready to move on they can cut him with no dead money. This is great for the team if Flacco is mediocre at best.

We can probably assume this: if Flacco leads the offense to a playoff worthy performance we likely see him return in 2020.

All this assumes the Broncos don’t make a Super Bowl run in the next couple seasons. I consider that a very slim possibility but since nothing in the NFL surprises me I’ll not rule it out either. If they make a Super Bowl run with Flacco it’s safe to say he’ll get all three years of his contract and the Broncos will transition to Lock in his contract year. That’s not optimal but having a recent Super Bowl run will make it worth it.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won the draft when we stole Drew Lock in round 2. It was over from there.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest question is if Flacco misses time how well does Lock play. I don't think the Ravens planned on moving to Jackson last season but when the opportunity presented itself he took full advantage making Flacco expendable. That could play out in Denver too.

Flacco has not missed any games prior to last year so Lock may not get the opportunity due to injury. We should get a good look at Lock in the Hall of Fame game and through out the pre-season. I am expecting him to win the backup QB spot this year. Even as a rookie it would be a bit concerning if he can't beat out Hogan and Grayson.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest question is if Flacco misses time how well does Lock play.
I think this depends a bit on the surrounding pieces you guys have. Locks stats last year were night and day based on whether or not Mizzou had its top WR (Emanel Hall) and Mizzou lost games based on some really silly things last year.

Regardless of other factors, Lock is going to have a chip on his shoulder. During his first two seasons at Mizzou, our talent was almost historically bad. We sucked. We had a recruitment gap from switching to the SEC among other possible issues. Lock has the bowl game against Texas where his whole team pretty much let him down and you have the Texas coach making fun of him. The supporting cast was equally embarrassing against Georgia this year. He had a play against South Carolina this year where he threw it to a guy that fell down and it was a pick 6 that cost them the game. The Kentucky loss and Oklahoma St losses were probably the worst losses Mizzou has had since 2013 and the shanked chip shot FG against South Carolina.

Seeing Lock get Cutler comparisons reminds me a bit of when Dak Prescott got Tim Tebow comparisons and he fell in the draft. When you're in the SEC and your talent starts falling behind, you aren't going to look as good as you actually are. Dak went to the NFL, stepped in when Romo got hurt, and was surrounded by talent and he wins football games. Is Lock that guy? Probably not in year 1. But I think he could be that guy in year 2.

So is it possible for me to want Lock to succeed but to also have the Broncos defense and special teams fall apart so they don't compete for the division? Fandom is weird.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Flacco misses time I don't think the expectations are Lock leads us to the playoffs from the start. I don't even expect that with Flacco and he has won a super bowl. I just want improvement and development this year.

If we fail miserable with Flacco/Lock combo then hopefully we fail enough to get Trevor Lawrence #1 in 2021. But I am not counting on that. Andrew Luck will probably get hurt that year or Aaron Rodgers and the Colts or Packers will end up with him. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear - Dak fell in the draft due to his marijuana citation while driving - more than anything else.

Things I like about Lock:

1) His arm
2) His ability to run with the ball.
3) the chip on his shoulder
4) his 3 Captainships
5) His year to year improvement in poise
6) His TD to interception rate
7) Shows some ability to throw the touch pass
8) He would be similar in skill set to Flacco - so that shouldn't be a hard transition

Things I don't like:

1) Bunny hopping prior to his throw (Happy Easter everyone). If he stepped into his throws - and passed without the sidearm delivery - he would knock people over.

2) No under center experience to brag about.

The things I don't like can be coached out of him. Still it is astonishing just how bad his footwork is.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear - Dak fell in the draft due to his marijuana citation while driving - more than anything else.

Things I like about Lock:

1) His arm
2) His ability to run with the ball.
3) the chip on his shoulder
4) his 3 Captainships
5) His year to year improvement in poise
6) His TD to interception rate
7) Shows some ability to throw the touch pass
8) He would be similar in skill set to Flacco - so that shouldn't be a hard transition

Things I don't like:

1) Bunny hopping prior to his throw (Happy Easter everyone). If he stepped into his throws - and passed without the sidearm delivery - he would knock people over.

2) No under center experience to brag about.

The things I don't like can be coached out of him. Still it is astonishing just how bad his footwork is.

Pretty fair pro/con list. I honestly think the upside is so profound and to think we got this at 42 when I would have been happy at 10!

The biggest reason I liked him over Haskins or Murray is his starting experience. I’m always a little suspect over 1 year starters. I think the likelihood they have a season where they’re the league’s “next big thing” and then fizzle out is a lot higher than a guy like Lock. Lock may not look as good as fast but I think he has the potential to develop into a guy who can be our starter for 12 or so years. It also bodes well for him that he’s going to a more stable environment than either of Haskins or Murray.

I saw some analysts on ESPN discussions Lock as the most likely “long term starter” the other day. I don’t form my opinions based on ESPN analysis but it just happens they were discussing Lock the exact same way I viewed him: the best long term option. I never get too predictive of any of these players immediately after the draft but I like what we have with Lock. And I can’t believe the value aspect of this pick.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty fair pro/con list. I honestly think the upside is so profound and to think we got this at 42 when I would have been happy at 10!

The biggest reason I liked him over Haskins or Murray is his starting experience. I’m always a little suspect over 1 year starters. I think the likelihood they have a season where they’re the league’s “next big thing” and then fizzle out is a lot higher than a guy like Lock. Lock may not look as good as fast but I think he has the potential to develop into a guy who can be our starter for 12 or so years. It also bodes well for him that he’s going to a more stable environment than either of Haskins or Murray.

I saw some analysts on ESPN discussions Lock as the most likely “long term starter” the other day. I don’t form my opinions based on ESPN analysis but it just happens they were discussing Lock the exact same way I viewed him: the best long term option. I never get too predictive of any of these players immediately after the draft but I like what we have with Lock. And I can’t believe the value aspect of this pick.

I will add on Lock - he did well on the play action opportunities he had - his ball fakes were not perfunctory -this Scangarello offense will set up the play action very well.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add on Lock - he did well on the play action opportunities he had - his ball fakes were not perfunctory -this Scangarello offense will set up the play action very well.

I was thinking along those same lines. He seems to be a fit for this offense. We just need Scangarello to not coach himself into a HC job within the next 2-4 years. This way we maybe get a chance to see Lock develop into a legit QB under the same OC and not have to reinvent himself every couple of seasons.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Scangarello coaches himself into a job, good chance it is because he developed Lock into something great.. I'll take it if that is the case.