• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roquan Smith has requested a trade

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did these dipsh*ts actually just blow the relationship with one of the few proven players left on our roster? Sigh. I guess we'll see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, that would be a huge mistake to trade that kid. Great piece to build the defense around at just 25 years old.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has all the makings of Roquan upping the ante by negotiating in public with a trade demand. While I don't take it all that seriously at the moment, it doesn't take much for situations like these to get out of hand. One side buckles down, then the other digs in even more and soon you reach an impasse where a trade almost becomes mandatory. I'm inclined to believe there's still plenty of time and plenty of room to get a deal done. But both sides have to be willing to start seriously talking NOW.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not know, is he a luxury item worth the money during this rebuild? Bears are still a year or two away. I would love to see him signed, but is the cost worth the value especially since the Bears are still shackled with a lot of dead cap?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not know, is he a luxury item worth the money during this rebuild? Bears are still a year or two away. I would love to see him signed, but is the cost worth the value especially since the Bears are still shackled with a lot of dead cap?
I bolded what I think is a fair question. It's always tough to evaluate a player's worth in this crazy age of monster contracts for the top tier crowd, and as you point out, we have to remember we're in a rebuild phase. Smith reportedly wants to be the highest paid LB in the NFL. Does he merit this? To me, he's definitely a top tier, but the absolute best? I don't know, personally I don't think so, but it's so hard to quantify. I want him to remain a Bear, but not at all costs. And I like that Poles removed him from the PUP list. Screw the kid gloves - he still wants to sit? Fine, but no longer free of charge. Of course that all goes away if/when they ink him.

Right now, regardless of the negativity surrounding all this, the advantage sits with the Bears. Smith is obligated to play this year, or if he chooses to dig in his heels, he'd be doing so at a cost of $9.5mil - that's not chump change, so he won't pass that up. Of course the other much-discussed option making waves in the sports world is whether the Bears will trade him. What can Poles realistically expect to receive for a player, no matter how talented, a season away from possibly hitting the free agent market? Anything short of a 1st rounder would be ludicrous, yet what team would be willing to surrender that kind of booty? Maybe, maybe Seattle, but I doubt that. I'm sticking with a deal to eventually be made.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy's one of my favorite Bears commentators, lol.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bolded what I think is a fair question. It's always tough to evaluate a player's worth in this crazy age of monster contracts for the top tier crowd, and as you point out, we have to remember we're in a rebuild phase. Smith reportedly wants to be the highest paid LB in the NFL. Does he merit this? To me, he's definitely a top tier, but the absolute best? I don't know, personally I don't think so, but it's so hard to quantify. I want him to remain a Bear, but not at all costs. And I like that Poles removed him from the PUP list. Screw the kid gloves - he still wants to sit? Fine, but no longer free of charge. Of course that all goes away if/when they ink him.

Right now, regardless of the negativity surrounding all this, the advantage sits with the Bears. Smith is obligated to play this year, or if he chooses to dig in his heels, he'd be doing so at a cost of $9.5mil - that's not chump change, so he won't pass that up. Of course the other much-discussed option making waves in the sports world is whether the Bears will trade him. What can Poles realistically expect to receive for a player, no matter how talented, a season away from possibly hitting the free agent market? Anything short of a 1st rounder would be ludicrous, yet what team would be willing to surrender that kind of booty? Maybe, maybe Seattle, but I doubt that. I'm sticking with a deal to eventually be made.
Seattle? You think a rebuilding team (in a worse position than us, seeing as they don't even have their QB yet) eyeing a top 5 pick (most likely) is going to give that up for a LB? So they can pay him 100+ million dollars?

The team who would trade for Roquan would have to be a contender that was close and going all-in on the next couple of years.

Anyway, being the highest paid LB doesn't have THAT much to do with being the best LB in the NFL. Roquan would simply be the guy setting the market for that position this season. Next year, it will be another guy. So, you don't have to stop and ask yourself if he's "the best" at his position in order to justify paying him as such. A couple of years from now, Roquan will have been surpassed contract wise by multiple other guys.

Apparently, Roquan basically wants to plug up the cap we didn't spend this off-season. I won't be upset if we pay him. He is only 25 and could be a veteran leader and squarely in his prime in a couple of years if we open a contending window. On the other hand, he is only a LB and starting out your new regime by sinking 100+ million into that position is... well... not conventional. Nor considered to be an optimal move.

Last edited:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can Poles realistically expect to receive for a player, no matter how talented, a season away from possibly hitting the free agent market? Anything short of a 1st rounder would be ludicrous, yet what team would be willing to surrender that kind of booty?

This is one guys take on what we could get get,it just does not soubd like a 1st rounder......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one guys take on what we could get get,it just does not soubd like a 1st rounder......

And therein lies the dilemma. Smith is worthy of a 1st rounder, especially one in the later rounds for a team who feel he could be a difference in their postseason hopes. But what team is going to surrender such? This is why I'm still hoping the two sides can work out a deal. The Bears will never get the value for Smith in a trade.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And therein lies the dilemma. Smith is worthy of a 1st rounder, especially one in the later rounds for a team who feel he could be a difference in their postseason hopes. But what team is going to surrender such? This is why I'm still hoping the two sides can work out a deal. The Bears will never get the value for Smith in a trade.

They could, but it would involve a whole lot of luck. A contender would need to lose their stud ILB very early and feel that they don't have a capable backup and then go all in on Smith. I'm going to guess that all in isn't a 1st rounder, but maybe a 2nd, and the Bears would probably accept that if they can't make a deal with him. What team is that, I have no idea, then again nobody's stud ILB has been hurt...so here you are.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Im not sure how they value talent for a lb'er,but I really dont think hes this monster type of player to put a team over the top to be SB worth imo.......
Best case scenario I would see is a 2nd and maybe another lower pick,but for reason I just dont see us getting a 1st......

But like I said,thats just me......

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could, but it would involve a whole lot of luck. A contender would need to lose their stud ILB very early and feel that they don't have a capable backup and then go all in on Smith. I'm going to guess that all in isn't a 1st rounder, but maybe a 2nd, and the Bears would probably accept that if they can't make a deal with him. What team is that, I have no idea, then again nobody's stud ILB has been hurt...so here you are.

He's only an ILB in a 3-4. Any team running a 4-3 would view him as an OLB and he's likely more valuable there.

I still think he plays this season a Bear. The Bears hold the leverage with him and he has to know that.

He's a sideline to sideline linebacker that can get downhill quick. He's most definitely a top 5 player at his position. But making trades in the NFL isn't easy. He is probably worth a first round pick due to his age but getting a first round pick back isn't easy because other teams know the scenario too. I think the only way you end up with a 1st rounder is if multiple teams enter the bidding war. Which is probably unlikely.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopeful sign?

Hard to read a lot into this. OTOH, it could be the two parties are closing in on a deal. But then again maybe Roquan is simply trying to keep in shape for the inevitable trade, assuming this latter takes place. Since I tend to take the glass-half-full approach, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a long term deal is forthcoming.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, having seen the video of his latest presser, Roquan states he and Poles have halted their contract talks, and basically he's going to play the season out with no extension or new contract. Obviously, he's quite aware that the Bears have all the leverage, so he's just kinda sucking it up and suiting up. Have to give him cred, he said all the right things with respect to loving his teammates, the fans and the city overall. So at the very least we'll have him for another season. I still have this sneaking hunch tho that a deal will eventually get done.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if a deal doesn’t get done the Bears have the franchise tag. They hold 100% of the leverage.

Poles should have earned some respect through this process. He stuck to his guns of a fair offer and never panicked.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if a deal doesn’t get done the Bears have the franchise tag. They hold 100% of the leverage.

Poles should have earned some respect through this process. He stuck to his guns of a fair offer and never panicked.
The details of the offer were released? Without that info, fair seems an unreasonable judgment to make. Granted, Roquan doesn’t have an agent so it’s hard to trust anything from his side.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won’t get enough for him through a trade. He’s playing his contract out then maybe resigning.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The details of the offer were released? Without that info, fair seems an unreasonable judgment to make. Granted, Roquan doesn’t have an agent so it’s hard to trust anything from his side.

All reports have been the Bears were offering a deal that would have put him in the top 5 of highest salaries for non edge linebackers in terms of average per year salary. It was reportedly a back loaded contract but it was in line with the current market. Smith is reported to have been seeking to reset the market for linebackers and wanted a front loaded contract without deescalators.

Based on everything I’ve read and heard it seems like a fair offer was being made.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is, was and always will be a head case. Look at all the clauses Pace put in his contract for monetary losses for on or off the field suspensions. Now he is "betting on himself"? There was never a tear up the deal and get paid 20 million this year being part of it. The only bet he is making is that he does not suffer a career ending injury and lose out on 60 million in guaranteed money.
Oh, and as far as the franchise tag goes, it does not matter what linebacker position you play, inside or out, its the same tag number so will be 20 million anyway.