• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie RB's

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a major kick out of everyone that just checks the numbers and assumes a college back can't catch. Just because that wasn't his role in college, doesn't mean he can't do it, and do it well. Specifically, this applies to Michel and Freeman this year. Saw MANY plays on film that say they can catch just fine.
Pass pro is almost always a major concern for every rook, no getting around that, its one of the few real learning curves of the position. But, being able to catch or not being able to catch, is very easy to see, and film tells a different story than the numbers..a more true to reality one.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is valid reasoning but the fact that Freeman is coming into a similar "hot garbage" scenario should still favor him.
If he turns out to be Perine 2.0 or even like Wayne Gallman, most likely he has a strong chance to prove himself.
Oh I think he does have that chance. But I just don't think he's that good of a RB. If he was that good, with his college accomplishments, he wouldn't have been the 8th RB chosen.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think he does have that chance. But I just don't think he's that good of a RB. If he was that good, with his college accomplishments, he wouldn't have been the 8th RB chosen.
Not his fualt Detroit, Washington and TB choose poorly

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a major kick out of everyone that just checks the numbers and assumes a college back can't catch. Just because that wasn't his role in college, doesn't mean he can't do it, and do it well. Specifically, this applies to Michel and Freeman this year. Saw MANY plays on film that say they can catch just fine.
Pass pro is almost always a major concern for every rook, no getting around that, its one of the few real learning curves of the position. But, being able to catch or not being able to catch, is very easy to see, and film tells a different story than the numbers..a more true to reality one.

Yup Freeman caught 80 out 89 targets:dingdingding:

Oregon hasn't passed much the last 3 seasons

2015 236 completions
2016 257 completions
2017 203 completions :eek:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot for a moment that Booker totally fucking sucks. He's like the Mckinnon style of terrible. Freeman will get the carries and produce CJ Andersonly numbers.

What is Kubiak's role there now?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot for a moment that Booker totally fucking sucks. He's like the Mckinnon style of terrible. Freeman will get the carries and produce CJ Andersonly numbers.

What is Kubiak's role there now?
He'd better blow CJ's production out of the water. If Booker totally sucks (he pretty much does), then CJ only kinda sucks.

Kubiak is supposedly more of an assistant/consultant to Elway, and to a lesser extent, a coach for the coaches. Word is he's out in the practice field everyday, but no one is really sure if he's there to coach, or just observe and cheerlead. His influence was definitely felt on draft day, hopefully it gets felt in the run game too

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd better blow CJ's production out of the water. If Booker totally sucks (he pretty much does), then CJ only kinda sucks.

Kubiak is supposedly more of an assistant/consultant to Elway, and to a lesser extent, a coach for the coaches. Word is he's out in the practice field everyday, but no one is really sure if he's there to coach, or just observe and cheerlead. His influence was definitely felt on draft day, hopefully it gets felt in the run game too
That's what I'm wondering. I'd hate to expect some Kubiakness in the rungame only to find out he's been barely involved.

CJ had 245 and 28 rec for 1230 last year. The only 4 TDs hurt him. But that O was complete trash. I see some solid value there for a rookie with low expectations.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not his fualt Detroit, Washington and TB choose poorly
The dude is 6'0", 238 lbs. He doesn't have breakaway speed and he doesn't run with much power.

The Oregon offense is built to make their RBs look like studs. They have 1,000++ yard rushers every single year. The only ones to do anything are LeGarrette Blount (career journeyman with 1 gear) and Jonathan Stewart (one 1,000 yard season almost a decade ago, mostly a plodding average RB). The problem with Freeman is that he's nowhere near as athletic as Stewart and doesn't run with nearly the power that Blount has.

I might end up being wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. However, again, there's a reason he was the 8th RB taken in the draft.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is saying Freeman can't catch, but the issue is there's a lot more to being a good pass-catcher out of the backfield than just being able to catch the ball. You have to know when to release, where to release to, proper route-running, timing, awareness, etc. There's more to it than just catching the ball.

You also have to take into account the fact that the Broncos don't throw to the RBs that much, so it's not like you can assume he's going to be a major PPR contributor.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is saying Freeman can't catch, but the issue is there's a lot more to being a good pass-catcher out of the backfield than just being able to catch the ball. You have to know when to release, where to release to, proper route-running, timing, awareness, etc. There's more to it than just catching the ball.

You also have to take into account the fact that the Broncos don't throw to the RBs that much, so it's not like you can assume he's going to be a major PPR contributor.
True, but you also have yo take into account that what they did the previous 2 years is basically meaningless. New, most likely better, QB means everything changes. So what they did or didn't do well, or did or didn't do at all, doesn't mean much today. Besides, Booker was the team's second leading receiver his rookie year, so they must do it a little

And yes, all those thing about being reliable out of the backfield are true. Yet, just because we haven't seen a lot if it, doesn't mean he can't, or can't do them well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but you also have yo take into account that what they did the previous 2 years is basically meaningless. New, most likely better, QB means everything changes. So what they did or didn't do well, or did or didn't do at all, doesn't mean much today. Besides, Booker was the team's second leading receiver his rookie year, so they must do it a little

And yes, all those thing about being reliable out of the backfield are true. Yet, just because we haven't seen a lot if it, doesn't mean he can't, or can't do them well.
I'm not sold on Keenum honestly. Last year was a total anomaly for him in his career (and it honestly wasn't that amazing of a year statistically). Plus, he's going to a pretty different team than the one he played on last year. Also, Booker's rookie year was under a different coaching staff, so that's irrelevant.

If you want to hitch your wagon to a longshot, I guess you could do worse. However, it's a pretty big stretch to think he's going to come out and be some stud on a team with a bad offensive line, journeyman QB, and HC who is one of the best bets in the NFL to get fired during the season.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I don't know if this Seattle situation is the same as most training camp news when teams are throwing out smokescreens. Last year Carroll loved Carson and he looked good before he got injured.. Penny will still have his chances but I see Carson and Penny splitting carries most of the year or riding the hot hand, so until Penny proves he's the better and more superior RB I don't see him being the 3 down back most were expecting day 1.

They didn't draft Penny in the first to not use him. Nows the chance to buy imo.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My full rookie rb thoughts

1. Saquon - best rb prospect of my lifetime

2. Guice - the definition of running angry and seems like quite the character. Marshawn 2.0?

3. Penny - they took him in the 1st for a reason. Hes gonna be used. I don't buy the Carson hype at all.

4. Chubb - Just a really good running back. Limited on 3rd downs by duke Johnson

5. Sony michel - knee injury drops him back below Chubb but he could be scary good in that offense

6. Kerryon johnson - very bell esque running style. Will Detroit commit to him and running the ball though

7. Royce Freeman - doesn't do anything poorly. Also doesn't do anything that well either. And the nfl already told us they view him as the worst of the top 8 backs.

8. Ronald jones - fast but that's about it. Id be ok with the size if i thought he was better or he was a pass catcher but i don't think he's a very powerful or elusive runner and he has basically no pass catching experience. Bright side hes still super young and has upside at least.

9. Kalen Ballage - great size and athleticism but a terrible on field running back. Betting on a lot of development if you take him.

10. Jordan wilkins/nyheim hines - decent flyers with a possibility to be useful this year, but limited upside. I still prefer mack to both of them

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things about Freeman

1) He's another year removed from injury.

2) We already know the NFL scouts don't draft RBs in the right order. The fact that he was 8th should hold low weight.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think that? I think hes gonna be a beast (yes i thought that before he came to DC lol)
Kid can run and Bill Callahan traditionally has good backs. Good match.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things about Freeman

1) He's another year removed from injury.

2) We already know the NFL scouts don't draft RBs in the right order. The fact that he was 8th should hold low weight.

Not really on 2. Sure the nfl gets things wrong but if you want the easiest indicator of nfl success it's gonna be draft position.