• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Roethlisberger

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note... Speaking of Heath... I really think the loss of Heath affected Ben a lot more than we think. Ben & Heath were probably the closest relationship in the locker room, not to mention on the field. Heath was one of the most selfless people to ever play in the Black & Gold. Steelers have put some good pieces in place, but I don't think he trusts anyone as well as he did Heath. Which could elude to your original point on AB... Shape up young man. Or maybe Ben just wants them to give him that trustworthy player? Maybe they bring in a veteran WR to add stability and give Ben a reliable outlet? Food for thought.

I agree. Every QB has that security blanket guy and it's often a TE. Having a legit WR2 obviously will be a priority this yr, and the vet WR he could rely on in 3rd down situations when AB was doubled was not there this past season year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Every QB has that security blanket guy and it's often a TE. Having a legit WR2 obviously will be a priority this yr, and the vet WR he could rely on in 3rd down situations when AB was doubled was not there this past season year.
Lookin at the FA pool, there aren't too many vet WR's out there that are very trustworthy. Maybe Anquan Boldin, but he's gotta be getting close to retirement. Didn't see any other names that interested me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lookin at the FA pool, there aren't too many vet WR's out there that are very trustworthy. Maybe Anquan Boldin, but he's gotta be getting close to retirement. Didn't see any other names that interested me.

I would take Garcon at a price.

I think we're going to know in a few weeks about the reinstatement of Bryant...assuming that happens, he moves immediately to the front of the line for WR2, and Rogers is the slot. Coates and Hamilton both need to up their games to be in that WR4 spot and maybe they hang on to DHB one more season.

If the reinstatement does not happen, I don't expect them to make a big move in FA. I think they plan to gamble with Green...and whomever win the competition between Coates and Hamilton...maybe a higher draft pick.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Garcon at a price.

I think we're going to know in a few weeks about the reinstatement of Bryant...assuming that happens, he moves immediately to the front of the line for WR2, and Rogers is the slot. Coates and Hamilton both need to up their games to be in that WR4 spot and maybe they hang on to DHB one more season.

If the reinstatement does not happen, I don't expect them to make a big move in FA. I think they plan to gamble with Green...and whomever win the competition between Coates and Hamilton...maybe a higher draft pick.
Garcon is essentially the same player that DHB is, maybe a little more durable but thats debatable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR drafted regardless of how Bryant's situation shakes out. It may come down to how confident the coaches feel about Coates.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garcon is essentially the same player that DHB is, maybe a little more durable but thats debatable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR drafted regardless of how Bryant's situation shakes out. It may come down to how confident the coaches feel about Coates.

Injury was a factor I know, going off '16 production, Garcon is better than DHB by a good margin imo. He may not be the ST player that DHB is. Even though I think Garcon is facing a huge drop in pay, for the amount of targets a WR3/4 would get, I would lean towards DHB for the cap hit alone.

Draft...lot of bodies at that position, but I wouldn't either, especially a taller guy...don't see the need for another slot sized guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury was a factor I know, going off '16 production, Garcon is better than DHB by a good margin imo. He may not be the ST player that DHB is. Even though I think Garcon is facing a huge drop in pay, for the amount of targets a WR3/4 would get, I would lean towards DHB for the cap hit alone.

Draft...lot of bodies at that position, but I wouldn't either, especially a taller guy...don't see the need for another slot sized guy.
Someone threw a question at me over Wheaton, and I guess I hadn't really considered it yet (more so I wrote him off lol)... but he asked what Wheaton's chances are of getting resigned due to Coates' inability to emerge as a consistent option? Part of me thinks its not going to happen because Wheaton had his chance but couldn't stay healthy nor keep the job, but another part of me thinks there's a slight chance it could happen. With Bryant back, it would be 2015 all over again, with Rogers tossed in. Obviously that would put Ayers, DHB, or Hamilton on the chopping block.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone threw a question at me over Wheaton, and I guess I hadn't really considered it yet (more so I wrote him off lol)... but he asked what Wheaton's chances are of getting resigned due to Coates' inability to emerge as a consistent option? Part of me thinks its not going to happen because Wheaton had his chance but couldn't stay healthy nor keep the job, but another part of me thinks there's a slight chance it could happen. With Bryant back, it would be 2015 all over again, with Rogers tossed in. Obviously that would put Ayers, DHB, or Hamilton on the chopping block.
Didn't we all already write Wheaton off? But, I could see them bringing him back if the price is right (low enough).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn...outta sight, outta mind...had forgotten about Wheaton too!

Can play outside, but imo he's best suited for the slot and I think Rogers is that guy for '17. If no Bryant, I can see it. He would have to show a lot in the early camps though. If Bryant is in, even though he will likely be affordable, I think it will be hard to keep him over an even cheaper Coates. He might be able to beat out Ayers as a backup slot, but it would have to be clear cut.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we all already write Wheaton off? But, I could see them bringing him back if the price is right (low enough).
Damn...outta sight, outta mind...had forgotten about Wheaton too!

Can play outside, but imo he's best suited for the slot and I think Rogers is that guy for '17. If no Bryant, I can see it. He would have to show a lot in the early camps though. If Bryant is in, even though he will likely be affordable, I think it will be hard to keep him over an even cheaper Coates. He might be able to beat out Ayers as a backup slot, but it would have to be clear cut.
The forgotten man for sure!

If he's affordable, he provides great insurance. They don't seem to mind carrying 7 WRs, but 6 is more logical. He's arguably an upgrade over DHB, Ayers & Hamilton. Even if they kept Coates around the depth could be: Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Wheaton, DHB/Ayers/Hamilton. Since Bryant isn't under contract in '18, Wheaton could give them insurance should that situation fall through. I think it really just depends on what Wheaton wants, and whether the Steelers have a draft prospect they want. Also, I can never remember the PS rules, but Ayers could be PS eligible. He didn't spend very many weeks on the active roster.

Options to ponder!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The forgotten man for sure!

If he's affordable, he provides great insurance. They don't seem to mind carrying 7 WRs, but 6 is more logical. He's arguably an upgrade over DHB, Ayers & Hamilton. Even if they kept Coates around the depth could be: Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Wheaton, DHB/Ayers/Hamilton. Since Bryant isn't under contract in '18, Wheaton could give them insurance should that situation fall through. I think it really just depends on what Wheaton wants, and whether the Steelers have a draft prospect they want. Also, I can never remember the PS rules, but Ayers could be PS eligible. He didn't spend very many weeks on the active roster.

Options to ponder!

Bryant...how does that work when a player is suspended for an entire season? Do the Steelers just lose that year of service. Since he never played in '16, I'm not certain Bryant will have the service yrs required to be a UFA in '18.

Every offseason is interesting I guess, but given Ben has put the team on notice, I'm curious to see what happens on the OFC side of the ball.

DEF...pretty clear, they've got to find a young OLB. Also ILB, imo Matakavich is a reserve, ST player and VW is a 2 down LB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant...how does that work when a player is suspended for an entire season? Do the Steelers just lose that year of service. Since he never played in '16, I'm not certain Bryant will have the service yrs required to be a UFA in '18.

Every offseason is interesting I guess, but given Ben has put the team on notice, I'm curious to see what happens on the OFC side of the ball.

DEF...pretty clear, they've got to find a young OLB. Also ILB, imo Matakavich is a reserve, ST player and VW is a 2 down LB.
Good point on Bryant. Not sure how that works?

ILB... If Timmons gives the Steelers a hometown discount and signs a smaller contract that he could retire on, then that removes the position from the discussion. He already voiced his opinion on the matter and said he wants to stay here. Since he is Tomlin's very 1st pick, and we know Coach T loves "his guys", he probably gets a deal done.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point on Bryant. Not sure how that works?

ILB... If Timmons gives the Steelers a hometown discount and signs a smaller contract that he could retire on, then that removes the position from the discussion. He already voiced his opinion on the matter and said he wants to stay here. Since he is Tomlin's very 1st pick, and we know Coach T loves "his guys", he probably gets a deal done.

Timmons...even if he stays, and I think they will figure it out for him to close out as a Steeler. I think they still should and will draft a ILB. Just might not be 1st rd unless he's a clearcut BPA. VW is 27 and might be 28 or 29 before he's the FT guy if ever....they need a younger, faster guy ready to take over.

I felt Timmons had a great season for a player in the twilight of his career, but I also felt they should've had more 3 S in play in lieu of him on 3rd down so much...I view that as more of an indictment on Golden than Timmons....Golden basically fell off the map after Davis ran him out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmons...even if he stays, and I think they will figure it out for him to close out as a Steeler. I think they still should and will draft a ILB. Just might not be 1st rd unless he's a clearcut BPA. VW is 27 and might be 28 or 29 before he's the FT guy if ever....they need a younger, faster guy ready to take over.

I felt Timmons had a great season for a player in the twilight of his career, but I also felt they should've had more 3 S in play in lieu of him on 3rd down so much...I view that as more of an indictment on Golden than Timmons....Golden basically fell off the map after Davis ran him out.
Agreed on all accounts. Didn't realize V-Will was getting up there. He's definitely entering the prime of his career. Even if he still lacks in the coverage department, he still impressed me with his 2-game starting stretch this season against the Jets & Chefs. 22 tackles, 2 sacks, and 3 stuffs. He was all over the place. But even then he still worries me as a 3-down player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all accounts. Didn't realize V-Will was getting up there. He's definitely entering the prime of his career. Even if he still lacks in the coverage department, he still impressed me with his 2-game starting stretch this season against the Jets & Chefs. 22 tackles, 2 sacks, and 3 stuffs. He was all over the place. But even then he still worries me as a 3-down player.

I think most LBs peak near the end of their rookie contract. The really good ones sustain their peak for a lot longer obviously, but they really don't get a lot better imo. I think we're seeing the best football VW can give the Steelers. Of course his stats would go up if he were starting but if he can't beat out Timmons now, or next year especially, he's not the heir apparent for the position.

Great depth player, good spot starter.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most LBs peak near the end of their rookie contract. The really good ones sustain their peak for a lot longer obviously, but they really don't get a lot better imo. I think we're seeing the best football VW can give the Steelers. Of course his stats would go up if he were starting but if he can't beat out Timmons now, or next year especially, he's not the heir apparent for the position.

Great depth player, good spot starter.
Good points. The one thing that I love the most about V-Will, and I've mentioned it a few times before, is his demeanor. He has that "dog" in him and he's always willing to lay it all out on the field every snap. That sort of tenacity is contagious and we need more of it. When this unit plays with a fire under their ass like they are capable of, they could be top 10 even top 5 next season. We've seen flashes of it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of derailed the thread... Sorry @MISKO! So to get back on topic:

Will the Steelers draft Big Ben’s eventual replacement in 2017?

Frazer makes an excellent point with this article when he says (paraphrasing here):

"It’s clear that his replacement is not currently on the roster. Jones becomes a FA in March, and one has to wonder what kind of desperation the team must feel should they attempt to re-sign a backup who never showed the kind of consistent field recognition to simply not go out and screw things up. That replacement is also not 3rd-string quarterback Mettenberger.

The question is not, 'where do you find Ben’s replacement?' More correctly, it’s, 'is he available now?'

The answer is probably a resounding and emphatic 'no'
."

None of the draft picks this year stack up to recent years (Wentz, Winston, Mariota, etc), and none of the available FA's are long-term solutions. This team does have one of the best O-line's in the league which should give them a leg up for success, but its still a gamble. They could lose that gamble by drafting another Landry Jones, only in a higher round. I will say these prospects have the makings of a higher ceiling than Jones though, but not by much. Should Ben announce his retirement this offseason, the Steelers would most likely sign Landry Jones and tough-it-out the next few years until they can find the draft prospect they like. It's a rough way to go for sure, because that elusive franchise prospect isn't just going to fall into their laps in the course of a single offseason. Even if Landry takes the reins and tanks next season, would there even be a long-term solution in the '18 draft? That's a lot of risk to take. Not to mention, do we really want them to turn into the Cleveland Browns by taking a QB in the 1st round damn near every single year until they finally get it right? Not me.

Luckily for us, the chances of the QB position becoming critical in the coming months are slim to none. I would be absolutely shocked if Ben hangs it up on the cusp of another Super Bowl run. But you can certainly bet that Colbert & his scouting department are going to start keeping a much closer eye on the QB talent every season.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but you don't do that out in public in the press! You do that behind closed locker room doors!!!

I agree with you, but knowing that Ben has been the face of this franchise for how many years now??? I'm sure he has tried that.
Ben used to call his own plays, and we were a lot more effective on offense, I think anyway.
But everything seems to have been taken away from Ben, and for that fact taken out of the defensive and offensive coaches since Tomlin....

I'm sure Ben has voiced himself to them, and hey if they don't want to listen.......