• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Roethlisberger

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying it... Getting that close to another Lombardi has to leave him salty AF. He'll make another run. But hey, if Ben wants to keep the drama queen routine going then go ahead.

In all seriousness though, I'd understand it as I would for anyone old or young. Sucks, but its a scary truth in this league. Looking out for your health should be a main priority, and having a family makes it scary for them. Given his injury history you have to think it will take its toll on him long after he retires. He cannot just think for himself every year. Just like Deebo did when he momentarily hung it up. They know whats important and we should all wish them well with whatever they choose to do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying it... Getting that close to another Lombardi has to leave him salty AF. He'll make another run. But hey, if Ben wants to keep the drama queen routine going then go ahead.

In all seriousness though, I'd understand it as I would for anyone old or young. Sucks, but its a scary truth in this league. Looking out for your health should be a main priority, and having a family makes it scary for them. Given his injury history you have to think it will take its toll on him long after he retires. He cannot just think for himself every year. Just like Deebo did when he momentarily hung it up. They know whats important and we should all wish them well with whatever they choose to do.

JMHO

While I think Ben is at the stage of his career where you do start to look at the end a lot more. His body is saying things to him, his kids are getting older, I'm sure he wants to be able to get more involved with them.

But what I really think is going on...Ben is sending a message to A. Brown. Hey brother, I got rings, and I got plenty cash, I don't need to keep doing this...straighten up your act.

As fans we put blinders on sometimes, but it's been pretty clear the AB has been more about AB than the team...from the dancing show, the shoes, the special endzone stuff, a lot more chatter with opponents on the field, all leading up to the FB video.

Tomlin reportedly has talked with him, Ben has put stuff out there as well as other players about his DIVA like actions...great player, and he deserves the money coming his way, but he needs to reel it in.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMHO

While I think Ben is at the stage of his career where you do start to look at the end a lot more. His body is saying things to him, his kids are getting older, I'm sure he wants to be able to get more involved with them.

But what I really think is going on...Ben is sending a message to A. Brown. Hey brother, I got rings, and I got plenty cash, I don't need to keep doing this...straighten up your act.

As fans we put blinders on sometimes, but it's been pretty clear the AB has been more about AB than the team...from the dancing show, the shoes, the special endzone stuff, a lot more chatter with opponents on the field, all leading up to the FB video.

Tomlin reportedly has talked with him, Ben has put stuff out there as well as other players about his DIVA like actions...great player, and he deserves the money coming his way, but he needs to reel it in.

But is AB the new Mike Wallace?????
Or Santonio Holmes????

The showbaoting shit with AB has been over the top for a while now. The whole FB live crap, that shit went on all season long. Hell he even did that live shit at training camp this year and he did it often.

This all falls on the coaching staff, they have to have known this has been going on with the FB live shit at some point during the season!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is AB the new Mike Wallace?????
Or Santonio Holmes????

The showbaoting shit with AB has been over the top for a while now. The whole FB live crap, that shit went on all season long. Hell he even did that live shit at training camp this year and he did it often.

This all falls on the coaching staff, they have to have known this has been going on with the FB live shit at some point during the season!!!!

It does...you have to be willing to lose one of your best players sometimes for the betterment of the team....the other vet players have seen what's been going on with AB but they've tried to sweep it under the rug...I think Ben is tired up sweeping it under the rug.

AB is clearly better than both Wallace and Holmes...his big issue is he wants that top dollar and apparently somebody has planted the self promotion idea in his head and he's been running with it.

Everybody is replaceable.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does...you have to be willing to lose one of your best players sometimes for the betterment of the team....the other vet players have seen what's been going on with AB but they've tried to sweep it under the rug...I think Ben is tired up sweeping it under the rug.

AB is clearly better than both Wallace and Holmes...his big issue is he wants that top dollar and apparently somebody has planted the self promotion idea in his head and he's been running with it.

Everybody is replaceable.

I totally agree. But even though AB is better than Wallace and Holmes, they also thought they were sooooo fuckin great and left the Burgh to become rich "Nobodies"

So maybe AB should look at some of the Steeler '4' year great WRs from the past. Because I can see the same in his future.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. But even though AB is better than Wallace and Holmes, they also thought they were sooooo fuckin great and left the Burgh to become rich "Nobodies"

So maybe AB should look at some of the Steeler '4' year great WRs from the past. Because I can see the same in his future.

I have no issue with Brown wanting the cash...they all play for it, I get that.

I had a long conversation with some guys about pro athletes after the playing days are over. Obviously a lot of these guys burn through the money or make bad investments etc. and may not be as well off as they should've been. But when you win...there will always be an open door for you if you want to walk thru it.

If Ben did decide to call it a career...Brown probably wouldn't sniff another chance to win a SB...he's going to get paid, but he needs to reel it in and be more about the team.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with Brown wanting the cash...they all play for it, I get that.

I had a long conversation with some guys about pro athletes after the playing days are over. Obviously a lot of these guys burn through the money or make bad investments etc. and may not be as well off as they should've been. But when you win...there will always be an open door for you if you want to walk thru it.

If Ben did decide to call it a career...Brown probably wouldn't sniff another chance to win a SB...he's going to get paid, but he needs to reel it in and be more about the team.

Dude, i am agreeing with you 100%......
All I am saying is the second he takes off the Black and Gold, he will not be the player he is today.
Just as Wallace and Holmes, he will not be the same guy or get what he was given in Pittsburgh anywhere else.
He will become just an average WR somewhere else.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with the sentiments that it could be directed at AB. But regardless of whether Ben hangs it up or not, when a guy hints at retirement publicly, you plan like it’s going to happen sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that we see a QB drafted somewhere in rounds 2-4 this year. Just a hunch though.

If they draft a QB... That might mean the end of Mettenberger sadly. That is under the assumption that Landry gets a new deal of course.

Also have to put this out there because I haven't been a big fan of his... But if or when Ben retires, we are really going to start to see Haley for what he is... A bad OC. He has always been awful at situational football. His RZ percentages as an OC have to be bottom 3rd in the league. Don't check me on that, but I'm probably not far off from the truth.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can also agree that this is going to be one helluva bumpy, drama-filled offseason... Steelers have no choice but to be under the national microscope

*Contracts... With both AB & Bell looking for new contracts and the media frenzy that accompanies those types of dragged out negotiations. Stories on both sides of the fence will ensue. Speculation stories of unhappiness, not being appreciated, trade rumors, etc etc. The media loves to overplay these superstar contract negotiations.
*Retirements... Mainly Ben. This saga is setup to run all offseason. If Ben goes on vacation with his family or misses a single voluntary OTA practice I'm sure Mr. Rapaport will launch a frenzy of retirement speculations. That in-turn will spawn a slew of trade rumors or articles on shopping for a prolific FA, mixed with the sky-is-falling type rhetoric. And don't forget about Deebo or D-Will. Their retirements are surely to be heavily discussed.
*Marty B... Once he is reinstated the media circus is going to eat him up. Undoubtedly leads to distractions for his teammates. The more he can distance himself from it, concentrate on his team and limit his exposure the better. But I'm sure no matter what he'll be heavily talked about during camps.
*Social Media... Press will be dissecting social media more & more because of the FB Live incident. Don't be surprised if a single tweet or instagram photo gets taken completely out of context.

If there was ever an offseason one might choose to avoid the NFL, this might the one for us Steeler fans. lol. Let's hope we all survive after the dust settles.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to really think about life after Ben in Pittsburgh and draft a QB. I don't see him retiring quite yet but better safe than sorry. AB better get his shit together because(as we all know) the Steelers don't put up with THAT kind of diva crap.

I personally am not going to worry about the Steelers until next July. They have a lot of shit to fix/figure out and they have 6 months to do it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah too early to worry but if Ben retires I wouldn't panic on this years early QB's in the draft. I doubt any will be great (yeah even the guy who won the National Championship).

If he retires good for him to get out while he still can walk.

As for the Brown and Bell situation we all know if they had to choose one who that will be. Lets hope he stays because once again against the Pats he proved how sorely he was missed. In the three years they were in the playoffs they only won 1 game without him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with the sentiments that it could be directed at AB. But regardless of whether Ben hangs it up or not, when a guy hints at retirement publicly, you plan like it’s going to happen sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that we see a QB drafted somewhere in rounds 2-4 this year. Just a hunch though.

If they draft a QB... That might mean the end of Mettenberger sadly. That is under the assumption that Landry gets a new deal of course.

Also have to put this out there because I haven't been a big fan of his... But if or when Ben retires, we are really going to start to see Haley for what he is... A bad OC. He has always been awful at situational football. His RZ percentages as an OC have to be bottom 3rd in the league. Don't check me on that, but I'm probably not far off from the truth.

We all know Ben is in his last years of playing, whether it's '16, '17, or '18 (I'd doubt he plays thru the final year)...so looking at it on a yr by yr basis makes sense and fwiw, that's all he's really said to this point.

Landry...idk how they really feel about him maintaining the back up role, but being totally fair to him, he's probably done just enough to have a solid edge on Mett...really depends on the money imo.

Draft...you could be right but I really don't see a guy that has enough potential for them to take in the 60 range, but certainly in the 3rd or 4th round, but find a potential starter there might be a reach.

Losing Bell covered up some of Haley's shortcomings...he's average at best as an OC...take Ben away and the Steelers might win 8 games....yes he would be exposed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah too early to worry but if Ben retires I wouldn't panic on this years early QB's in the draft. I doubt any will be great (yeah even the guy who won the National Championship).

If he retires good for him to get out while he still can walk.

As for the Brown and Bell situation we all know if they had to choose one who that will be. Lets hope he stays because once again against the Pats he proved how sorely he was missed. In the three years they were in the playoffs they only won 1 game without him.

Considering the can't miss prospect Andrew Luck now on his 2nd NFL contract has been far from great, I think it's safe to say with the college game as it is now, you need to get the guy with the best physical tools and hope you can coach him up to a productive NFL QB....it might be a small college guy much like Ben was.

I don't expect a big overhaul this offseason...I think Bell stays at least this coming yr, worst case on a tag contract. Ben...I could be wrong, but if he really were going to retire, I don't think you tease it I think you go the Heath route and just do it...imo he just needs to re-energize but hopefully his message has been sent to whom ever it was directed to.

The real key for this offseason is getting some pass rush help....do they dare entertain FA Nick Perry?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the can't miss prospect Andrew Luck now on his 2nd NFL contract has been far from great, I think it's safe to say with the college game as it is now, you need to get the guy with the best physical tools and hope you can coach him up to a productive NFL QB....it might be a small college guy much like Ben was.

I don't expect a big overhaul this offseason...I think Bell stays at least this coming yr, worst case on a tag contract. Ben...I could be wrong, but if he really were going to retire, I don't think you tease it I think you go the Heath route and just do it...imo he just needs to re-energize but hopefully his message has been sent to whom ever it was directed to.

The real key for this offseason is getting some pass rush help....do they dare entertain FA Nick Perry?
Yes they should entertain Perry. Whether they can get a deal done is another question but at least take a look.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should entertain Perry. Whether they can get a deal done is another question but at least take a look.

My thinking as well...if we know Ben is in the final stages, and it looks as if they are maybe a pass rusher away from being able to get over the hump, why let money hold you back...at least try.

Whatever rookie they draft on the edge is not going to be NFL ready in his 1st season so they're kind of wasting another year really.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yeah go for Perry. I am not sure but can the Packers franchise him?
But as you stated they need the pass rush and no rookie will come in and be a world beater. If they don't get Perry at least Heyward will be back, he won't have the impact as Perry but will help the Linebackers by taking a body out to give them more space.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note... Speaking of Heath... I really think the loss of Heath affected Ben a lot more than we think. Ben & Heath were probably the closest relationship in the locker room, not to mention on the field. Heath was one of the most selfless people to ever play in the Black & Gold. Steelers have put some good pieces in place, but I don't think he trusts anyone as well as he did Heath. Which could elude to your original point on AB... Shape up young man. Or maybe Ben just wants them to give him that trustworthy player? Maybe they bring in a veteran WR to add stability and give Ben a reliable outlet? Food for thought.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also worth noting... AB posted this to Instagram:

"Not yet big fella" 7 to 84 = 6