• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rocket locked in....

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I'm not mad at this at all......love Lockett.

That said, does this free up money this year? The cap is tight right now and next year we have a ton of money so assuming this helps this year while hardly scratching next years money I dig it even more.

Have to assume a Russ or Bobby restructure is in the cards.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they signed him so early before the season. Lockett earned that extension years ago and I am happy he is locked up for 4 more years.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that his cap hit goes from just over $14 million down to right around $7 million for 2021. That's a very crafty way to get space by locking up someone you had planned on locking up anyways, way to go Hawks!

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that his cap hit goes from just over $14 million down to right around $7 million for 2021. That's a very crafty way to get space by locking up someone you had planned on locking up anyways, way to go Hawks!

Great....

Let's use it for our benefit!!!!!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't grade this high...

Metcalf is going to command a massive contract (probably higher than Lockett), Lockett is nearly 30, and Schuster/Fuller just took massive discounts. I'd argue Fuller is comparable to Lockett if he could stay healthy (and while Fuller has been injured mind yourself Lockett basically was in the same situation earlier in his career)... Wilson could've probably done a comparable job with him.

I'm assuming this is a Russell Wilson motivated signing because this is not a value contract at all and hamstrings us when Metcalf becomes a free agent (who is going to be a MASSIVE attraction even if he at a minimum duplicates what he did last year). Lockett has two seasons over 1,000 yards... BARELY. He hauls in a number of receptions but isn't putting any defense on notice.

C- (I'd likely go D to F if I didn't think this was solely to keep Wilson happy and a Seahawk)

That said, I love the Gabe Jackson trade... lol

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Metcalf is going to command a massive contract (probably higher than Lockett), Lockett is nearly 30, and Schuster/Fuller just took massive discounts. I'd argue Fuller is comparable to Lockett if he could stay healthy (and while Fuller has been injured mind yourself Lockett basically was in the same situation earlier in his career)... Wilson could've probably done a comparable job with him.

I'm assuming this is a Russell Wilson motivated signing because this is not a value contract at all and hamstrings us when Metcalf becomes a free agent (who is going to be a MASSIVE attraction even if he at a minimum duplicates what he did last year). Lockett has two seasons over 1,000 yards... BARELY. He hauls in a number of receptions but isn't putting any defense on notice.

C- (I'd likely go D to F if I didn't think this was solely to keep Wilson happy and a Seahawk)

Fuller is not even comparable to Lockett and it's not even close. Lockett is looked at as a top 10 WR in the NFL and has been in the talk of top 5! He can be down right uncoverable sometimes. Only once in Lockett's career ( 6 years ) did you play LESS than 16 games and that was still a 15 game season he had before breaking his leg. out of 80 games Fuller has played 53 of them in 5 seasons, Locket has played 95 games out of 96 in his career. Lockett is a top flight NFL WR, Fuller is not so he would NEVER command the money Lockett got. Lockett has NEVER had injury problems on this team other than nicks bumps and bruises which all players get bar none. Wish the rest of our team was as durable as Lockett to be honest only Wilson has been more durable.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuller is a injury waiting to happen lets just forget about him when talking about Lockett who been a rock of health wise in comparison. It doesn't hinder signing Metcalf in the least , since his contract isn't up until the 2023 season and the Seahawks have 159 million in cap space in 2023. They can extend Metcalf next off season with no problem what so ever...none what so ever.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's time for Metcalf to sign his extension Lockett will be at the end of his career. He is not at the end of his career yet and these last two seasons have been his best. I expect another 70+ rec 900-1000 yard season from him again in 2021 and at least 60+ rec and 800+ yards in 2022.

The timing of this signing was bad because of the cap space but the signing itself is a B+ at the worst. Also his cap hit went down. So lets make that a A+

"Lockett was set to have the third-largest cap hit of any Seahawks player in 2021 at $14.95 million. His extension lowers that number to around $7 million, a source told ESPN. That gives Seattle some needed breathing room against the cap and is one reason for the timing of Lockett's extension, which comes much earlier in the offseason than when the Seahawks typically do new deals for players who are under contract."

Cut his cap hit by more than half!

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once OTC updates the Hawks will now be sitting at 17+ Million under the cap making them either 4th or 5th in the NFL for total cap space! The shocking thing about that is they have 60 people under contract right now so we could see that cap space grow even more. The Hawks are now in play for a bigger name..... Whos out there? CB/OL/WR3/RB?

The Lockett extension help give the Hawks one of the largest cap spaces and at the right time of the year.