• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Robot Umps In Triple A Ball this Year

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting. Always hated when these full of themselves used to talk about “ my strike zone”. There is only one strike zone

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,143.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should be interesting but this is the future of mlb if you ask me

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hitters won't like the strike-zones for a while. The pitches at the letters will be called strikes, as they should. The hitters will adjust, though.
Pitchers won't like the narrow strike-zone, as they won't get a ball off the plate.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know the exact metrics the robots will be using.

1) Will the zone be the same for every player? Meaning, will it be from 10 inches above the ground to 36 inches from the ground (or whatever) for everyone? Or will it be knees to nipples for every individual? If it is knees to nipple, will that give old grandmothers with torpedo tits an unfair advantage?

2) if the zone will be individualized, will each player have their zone programmed in beforehand, or will squatting affect the zone?

3) Will the zone be a plane or a volume? The zones they show on most broadcasts are 2-dimensional, while my understanding is that the zone is 3-dimensional. A curveball can break into the zone deeper in the zone than just the front facing facade, for example.

4) How good will the equipment be? I assume there will be sensors in the home plate and maybe worn by the players? If not, will it just be cameras from the dugouts? Will the angle of the cameras affect accuracy?

5 Etc, etc, etc

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Will the zone be the same for every player? Meaning, will it be from 10 inches above the ground to 36 inches from the ground (or whatever) for everyone? Or will it be knees to nipples for every individual? If it is knees to nipple, will that give old grandmothers with torpedo tits an unfair advantage?

2) if the zone will be individualized, will each player have their zone programmed in beforehand, or will squatting affect the zone?

3) Will the zone be a plane or a volume? The zones they show on most broadcasts are 2-dimensional, while my understanding is that the zone is 3-dimensional. A curveball can break into the zone deeper in the zone than just the front facing facade, for example.

4) How good will the equipment be? I assume there will be sensors in the home plate and maybe worn by the players? If not, will it just be cameras from the dugouts? Will the angle of the cameras affect accuracy?

5 Etc, etc, etc
Those are situations that will have to be worked out. Prior to moving to robot umpires all of these will have to be worked out.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5 Etc, etc, etc
1. No........The strike zone will be based on the average stance (of previous at bats) of the individual ball player who is at bat.

2. Yes.........and no squatting would not be his natural stance.

3..........I'm in favor of of volume........the ball traveling the length of the plate.

4.........They've used a form of it in tv broadcasts, for years.

5. And it will eliminate arguing with umpires and mindless ejections.....and also.......probably speed up games.

Some of the major tennis tournaments no longer have line judges (computer calls only)........and there is no arguing or challenges.......

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Buckner was horrible on Saturday. He wasn't calling balls and strikes. He was just guessing. At the same time, the Phils left me no room to really bitch because they lost 16-3.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5 Etc, etc, etc

i personally hate the idea of robot umps... and i am one that likes change...

my fear is that with a single known strike zone, the if it is close SWING wont be taught anymore...

I like the human factor, because it makes everything just slightly unknown... on whether the ump is correct or not... it just gives the extra thought about when to swing or not...

also, if you dont need a home plate ump, then there is no reason to have any ump... just have it all be robotic and instant replays decides anything close...

while you are at it lets get robot pitchers and robot hitters... and let females hit too....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally hate the idea of robot umps... and i am one that likes change...

my fear is that with a single known strike zone, the if it is close SWING wont be taught anymore...

I like the human factor, because it makes everything just slightly unknown... on whether the ump is correct or not... it just gives the extra thought about when to swing or not...

also, if you dont need a home plate ump, then there is no reason to have any ump... just have it all be robotic and instant replays decides anything close...

while you are at it lets get robot pitchers and robot hitters... and let females hit too....
There are only 2 teams on the field. The competition should be between them. An ump having a bad day (or just another day at the office for some) should not decide the contest.

As for going to a default instant replay, I am OK with the concept in principle. I just don’t see that working fast enough to be reasonable. Good idea, though.