• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

robert up for gold glove

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus we have 2 catchers up for a gold glove. wonder if that's ever happened before? i remember berra and howard being on the yankees at the same time.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
checking in to some gold gloves facts .... did you know that in 1960 the sox had 4 winners? fox, aparicio, minoso and landis.

in 1957 the sox had 3 (fox, aparicio and minoso) when there were only 9 players picked in all of baseball.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more surprised at Moncada getting the nod at 3rd base, and way way way more surprised that Mendick is a finalist for 2nd base. Not that I think Danny is bad defensively - he's actually pretty good - but I thought you needed to at least be a starter in order to be considered for the award. Guess not.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
checking in to some gold gloves facts .... did you know that in 1960 the sox had 4 winners? fox, aparicio, minoso and landis.

in 1957 the sox had 3 (fox, aparicio and minoso) when there were only 9 players picked in all of baseball.
That's what made the Go-Go White Sox of that era so special. They were all about pitching, defense, and speed. Most of the lineups in those days couldn't hit their collective way out of a wet paper bag, but it was the other attributes as to why they had so many winning seasons.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this one of those threads where I take a step back and realize how much we focus on the negative about our team than the positives? If Robert won a gold glove, I would definitely be surprised...but since I didn't watch the other 14 centerfielders in the AL play every day for a 60 game season, it's hard to say how he compared without some sort of bias so sometimes these things merit out on the defensive stats alone, hell or even just on the "up and coming superstar" name merit. Let's not forget Robert was referred to on ESPN in our first week as Mike Trout 2. Stuff like this happens.

He still needs to improve defensively and time his wall catches better. Raw athletic ability only takes you so far...gotta perfect that talent into consistency to become elite.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this one of those threads where I take a step back and realize how much we focus on the negative about our team than the positives? If Robert won a gold glove, I would definitely be surprised...but since I didn't watch the other 14 centerfielders in the AL play every day for a 60 game season, it's hard to say how he compared without some sort of bias so sometimes these things merit out on the defensive stats alone, hell or even just on the "up and coming superstar" name merit. Let's not forget Robert was referred to on ESPN in our first week as Mike Trout 2. Stuff like this happens.

He still needs to improve defensively and time his wall catches better. Raw athletic ability only takes you so far...gotta perfect that talent into consistency to become elite.
I'll go you one better. Before Robert's career comes to a close he'll have won MULTIPLE gold gloves. Accepting all bets right now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go you one better. Before Robert's career comes to a close he'll have won MULTIPLE gold gloves. Accepting all bets right now.
i'd bet anything this nomination is all based on one play he made early on. all his screwups after that are ignored.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd bet anything this nomination is all based on one play he made early on. all his screwups after that are ignored.
Yes, he made some screwups, but you can also see the athleticism and speed to cover great swaths of real estate in the years to come. This is why I'm openly and unashamedly predicting multiple GGs.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i wouldn't bet on that. it was clear to me early on that he's over-rated as a fielder. his timing is poor his judgement is poor and his arm is not accurate. he's touted as a 5 tool player but that doesn't mean he is one.
1. he's got the power.
2. he's got the speed.
3 he's got a strong arm but i haven't seen where he's accurate with it.
4. he has poor judgement in the field
5. he's got holes in his swing.

he may overcome #5 and hit better. however, #3 & #4 aren't easily learned. good fielders usually come into the league with that ability, not have to learn it. it's nice to make the occasional great catch but imo his stats look better (#1 in putouts) because he stole so many balls right & left field should have been allowed to catch. but in almost 500 innings had a total of 2 assists (tied for 8th). he could improve. i didn't expect yoan to get much better but it looks like he sure did (of course he was playing a new position).

i don't see him winning any gg's unless he gets a lot better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't bet on that. it was clear to me early on that he's over-rated as a fielder. his timing is poor his judgement is poor and his arm is not accurate. he's touted as a 5 tool player but that doesn't mean he is one.
1. he's got the power.
2. he's got the speed.
3 he's got a strong arm but i haven't seen where he's accurate with it.
4. he has poor judgement in the field
5. he's got holes in his swing.

he may overcome #5 and hit better. however, #3 & #4 aren't easily learned. good fielders usually come into the league with that ability, not have to learn it. it's nice to make the occasional great catch but imo his stats look better (#1 in putouts) because he stole so many balls right & left field should have been allowed to catch. but in almost 500 innings had a total of 2 assists (tied for 8th). he could improve. i didn't expect yoan to get much better but it looks like he sure did (of course he was playing a new position).

i don't see him winning any gg's unless he gets a lot better.
#s 1 & 5 have should have no relevance, at least in theory. But there's little doubt there are times when a player's hitting prowess gives him an edge if his top opponent carries no stick - a tiebreaker, so to speak.

#s 3 & 4 are very learnable (is that a word?), which is precisely why I'm betting that he'll not only improve in these areas, it will lead to the aforementioned multiple GGs.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#s 1 & 5 have should have no relevance, at least in theory. But there's little doubt there are times when a player's hitting prowess gives him an edge if his top opponent carries no stick - a tiebreaker, so to speak.

#s 3 & 4 are very learnable (is that a word?), which is precisely why I'm betting that he'll not only improve in these areas, it will lead to the aforementioned multiple GGs.
i do hope you are right. i just have always hated counting my chickens ... etc. as a looong time sox fans ... i've learned better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do hope you are right. i just have always hated counting my chickens ... etc. as a looong time sox fans ... i've learned better.
I know and actually I'm way more often than not the same way. Generally speaking, it's better to be cautious. It's just every once in a while I enjoy forecasting and making what could be construed as outlandish predictions. I'm really over the top in my faith as to the future fortunes of this particular group of Sox personnel. Not gonna get goofy and say multiple WS titles, here we come!! We need to look no further than our northside rivals to see that no matter how bright the future looks, things don't always come around the way it was expected. But I do feel this club in the way it has been put together should be in the playoff hunt for at least the next half decade, maybe longer.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know and actually I'm way more often than not the same way. Generally speaking, it's better to be cautious. It's just every once in a while I enjoy forecasting and making what could be construed as outlandish predictions. I'm really over the top in my faith as to the future fortunes of this particular group of Sox personnel. Not gonna get goofy and say multiple WS titles, here we come!! We need to look no further than our northside rivals to see that no matter how bright the future looks, things don't always come around the way it was expected. But I do feel this club in the way it has been put together should be in the playoff hunt for at least the next half decade, maybe longer.
again, i hope you are right. i'd still feel better if reinsdork sold this team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, i hope you are right. i'd still feel better if reinsdork sold this team.
No argument there - or at least as Jiddy has said, for once open up the damn wallet and really go for it. It's not like he has 20 years left to slowly develop this team. If he really REALLY wants to win another title before he goes 6 ft under, then he needs to give the Sox every opportunity to field the best possible team they can.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am actually a little surprised abreu wasn't among them. any time prior to this year it would have been laughable .... but this year i thought he looked pretty amazing! and it's the first time he's had a positive dwar!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am actually a little surprised abreu wasn't among them. any time prior to this year it would have been laughable .... but this year i thought he looked pretty amazing!
In a way it doesn't surprise me that he wasn't nominated, there are a lot of good defensive 1b. But I think all of us agree he had his best year defensively by far in '20.