• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rob Sims

Would you resign Rob Sims

• Yes as a starter

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes as a backup

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No way

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on his price and if the Lions have cash to find a replacement. He was less than impressive last season and the Lions really need a better run blocking option.

But again at what cost.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to offer an explanation as to why I voted No Way. Then I realized none was necessary.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on his price and if the Lions have cash to find a replacement. He was less than impressive last season and the Lions really need a better run blocking option.

2014: Allowing 5 sacks, 6 Stafford hits, 22 Stafford hurries on 16 Starts isn't something you write home to mom about.

I'll admit I didn't get to see every game this year. What I did see on RB's going to the left side (LG/LT) Sims was doing pretty good on his run blocks. I just can't say the same for up the gut with Raiola/Sims.

I was going to offer an explanation as to why I voted No Way. Then I realized none was necessary.

Funny stuff right there. Honestly, I don't believe Sims is a No Way unless there's a Multi-Talented Player.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say again the same I said about Ashley Palmer and Garrett Reynolds. Competition breeds success. Give me a backup player that will push for a starting job and I will take that guy any day. Sims being a backup does not bring out the next Tahir Whitehead. Neither will Palmer or Reynolds. Had no idea Whitehead was as good as he played.

Young hungry reserve players IMO are better than washed up backups.
Disclaimer... Maybe a seasoned vet at QB is good for a reserve.
Disclaimer #2 this does not mean Orlovsky.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Sims will be resigned. Lions will attempt to sign a Gaurd, fail, and then freak out and over pay Sims, justifying it by saying Sims is a veteran, and he got better as the year went on. Then we'll draft a Gaurd.

Sounds a lot like TE last off-season.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not too terribly long ago that Sims was far and away, hands down the best O-Lineman on the entire team.

That tells me the organization should (and I emphasize should) have a better idea than us fans on this one. If inside the organization they don't know more about why he looked so bad this year, if hes just not the same player anymore then boot his ass with a "No Way." If they know that he had a serious nagging injury all year and played at 80% or something, and he's expected to make a full recovery, or if they know the guys next to him were missing plays or making the wrong call and he's just kind of the scapegoat or something, then you can keep him at the right price.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not too terribly long ago that Sims was far and away, hands down the best O-Lineman on the entire team.

I know huh? With the injuries on the OL this past season and FA's everyone is in hurry to kick Sims to the curb without a stud to replace him.

Sorry, but I find it a bit comical for the games I did see. It's okay if I'm the only one to think Sims still has value.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions notes: Jim Caldwell, Rob Sims, more - Pride Of Detroit

Id call that tipping his hand. Except I actually think its more him shaking his change jar.

Suppose there's a chance he gritted thru something this season. But I don't put him in the same category as Mathis. (Old vet with no upside that could do on a crazy small contract.)

I hold absolutely no ill will towards Rob(Feels like Ive said that before..... Hmmmm, weird.) so Im not voting Hell No. But Im not pulling for him to be back.

Definitely appreciate his services. And for not being Ravioli or Peterman.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with him at the veteran minimum as a back-up, just so we have some insurance on the interior. But he's regressed quite a lot these last two seasons, so as a starter, its probably time to move on...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but at the veteran minimum, yes. I don't like the guy but you need backups and a guy who can at least make a spot start or two already knowing the blocking scheme would be one fewer headache.

Over $1MM, pass.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless there was a reason for the dropoff in performance I would say no. Even with a reason it would be as a backup only. And at close to the minimum.

He was our best O-line when we passed almost exclusively under Linehan. His run blocking is suspect and we will undoubtedly want to be a more balanced offense because our defense has been so good.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO WAY!!

Standing by that without so much as a second thought.

The guy has been dreadful the past two seasons, absolutely dreadful. He is without a doubt on the downside of his career. He offers zero upside whatsoever and even at a vet minimum deal with the veteran salary benefit he would still cost $250k more than a younger player who could offer upside and versatility.

Please tell me where there is any justification to bringing him back next season, even as a back up? Yes, he is familiar with the blocking scheme. That's great, because he sucked knowing it. Another year and he can be even more familiar with how to suck even worse at it.

Where does he offer anything that could be viewed as a positive to the Lions? Maybe TP will tell me how he was one of the top rated G's in 2012. :whistle: Did they even bother to rank him this year or just put a picture of a flaming bag of dog shit next to his name? :clap:

I'd sign Richie Incognito before Sims. Hell, I'll advocate that. Give him a minimum vet offer. I wanted him several years ago and got laughed at. He went on to be a pro bowler for the damn Dolphins. I want to win, and the key to that on the offensive side of the ball is to give Stafford a powerful running game. Rob Sims offers absolutely nothing in that regard. Nothing!!

Unless Suh says that he wont sign a new deal if Sims isn't on the team then I suggest he either retire or find a realtor to put his house up for sale and start looking at the schools around the areas where he might find a back up job with another team.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way I'd want Sims. not even as a backup. you might get the very same type of play out of proverbial backup in training, Rodney Austin

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO WAY!!

Standing by that without so much as a second thought.

The guy has been dreadful the past two seasons, absolutely dreadful. He is without a doubt on the downside of his career. He offers zero upside whatsoever and even at a vet minimum deal with the veteran salary benefit he would still cost $250k more than a younger player who could offer upside and versatility.

Please tell me where there is any justification to bringing him back next season, even as a back up? Yes, he is familiar with the blocking scheme. That's great, because he sucked knowing it. Another year and he can be even more familiar with how to suck even worse at it.

Where does he offer anything that could be viewed as a positive to the Lions? Maybe TP will tell me how he was one of the top rated G's in 2012. :whistle: Did they even bother to rank him this year or just put a picture of a flaming bag of dog shit next to his name? :clap:

I'd sign Richie Incognito before Sims. Hell, I'll advocate that. Give him a minimum vet offer. I wanted him several years ago and got laughed at. He went on to be a pro bowler for the damn Dolphins. I want to win, and the key to that on the offensive side of the ball is to give Stafford a powerful running game. Rob Sims offers absolutely nothing in that regard. Nothing!!

Unless Suh says that he wont sign a new deal if Sims isn't on the team then I suggest he either retire or find a realtor to put his house up for sale and start looking at the schools around the areas where he might find a back up job with another team.

Not that I much care, because I realize we need to improve on Sims as a starter, but what are you basing your analysis of Sims off of? He wasn't good, but he wasn't horrible, either.

I'm not necessarily defending him- we definitely need to get better- but he's definitely still back-up material. I'm smelling a personal issue here- did Rob Sims m o l e s t you in the shower when he was a college player and you were a ball boy? :lol:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree with your premise that at least a young guy offers upside as a back-up, whereas Sims has already peaked. That part made sense...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently ****** is a word you can't type on the Hoop? Had to space it out- m o l e s t.

So I can type fuck, shit, asshole, ****, twat, bitch, damn, splooge, and retard, but not ****** or ******ed, or ******er?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude is past his prime. He was a solid acquisition when we got him and was a steady presence for a few years. He has simply not been good the past couple years.

He does not offer upside or value and is therefore a poor choice for a roster spot. The game is about winning and losing, not about loyalty or a players home and the school his kids go to. There is a reason they get paid what they do, and that's part of it.

He isn't the player he once was and the team can do better.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude is past his prime. He was a solid acquisition when we got him and was a steady presence for a few years. He has simply not been good the past couple years.

He does not offer upside or value and is therefore a poor choice for a roster spot. The game is about winning and losing, not about loyalty or a players home and the school his kids go to. There is a reason they get paid what they do, and that's part of it.

He isn't the player he once was and the team can do better.

:lol:

How hard were you trying to be nice there? I can see the steam rolling off your head...