• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rob Simms

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone feel it is time to start Swanson at LG? Maybe throw him at C.

IMO can not hurt any worse than the turn style coming from Dom & Rob.

All this excitement from last year of " best OL in league" talk is shattered at the moment. Is it Lombardi's plays? Dom's blocking calls? Just flat out Rob sucks and was not as good as his PFF ranking?

This OL is rated in bottom five in league. Give the rookie a shot I say.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure what to think just yet. It's still early. But after this weekend it will be 11 games with 4 out of 5 together. 5 out of 6 if you count BP.

Another piss poor showing across the board and I could support changes. Lord knows I never bought into Ravioli being worthy of a spot. Suppose taking a paycut was worth keeping him, and deserved. Could be that most of us were wrong by not supporting Meows pleas that Rob should get the axe.

Looks more and more like a great idea with every passing week.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides kicker, which I hope is solved. OL is biggest weakness. Have not noticed anyone post Caldwell benching a guy yet for poor play. Has he? Seems like decent spot to start. Surely send the message to step it up.

Remember Meow mentioning the cap savings. Somebody else said he was not as good as some thought with a lot if resistance. That somebody was right. Old Lion maybe?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides kicker, which I hope is solved. OL is biggest weakness. Have not noticed anyone post Caldwell benching a guy yet for poor play. Has he? Seems like decent spot to start. Surely send the message to step it up.

Remember Meow mentioning the cap savings. Somebody else said he was not as good as some thought with a lot if resistance. That somebody was right. Old Lion maybe?

Yes, I was one of them anyway. Unfortunately, I make those statements so early on before anyone notices that I get some flack for it. I also recommended getting Swanson in there. I think it will happen if the Saints have success stopping us since they have not stopped anyone yet.

I was for keeping Dom 1 more year though. I admit that. Same with Rob. I have no problem with them being backups next year. Maybe even this year. Rob's paycheck would have to be adjusted though.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted both. Dom for his calling. Not the lookout blocks he had Sunday.

It seems wierd how the strengths of this team flip flopped so quickly. I attribute Austin credit for CBs. Lookout blocks are not Lombardi's scheme.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck the kicker. O line problems are far greater than kicking problems IMO. wouldn't need someone to kick 50+ yards 2-3 a game if our O line was blocking better we'd have more extra points and few FGs and shorter FGs.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day the kicker has cost us one game and many points. Both are huge concerns currently.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember Meow mentioning the cap savings. Somebody else said he was not as good
as some thought with a lot if resistance. That somebody was right. Old Lion
maybe?

It was me in both cases you fucking dumbass. TP was the loudest of the Simms supporters.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure what to think just yet. It's still early. But after this weekend it will be 11 games with 4 out of 5 together. 5 out of 6 if you count BP.

Another piss poor showing across the board and I could support changes. Lord knows I never bought into Ravioli being worthy of a spot. Suppose taking a paycut was worth keeping him, and deserved. Could be that most of us were wrong by not supporting Meows pleas that Rob should get the axe.

Looks more and more like a great idea with every passing week.

The problem as I see it is they have nobody waiting for a spot other than Swanson and he is a total unknown. Simms was traded by Seattle because he did not fit their scheme. Maybe Simms can only handle pass protection? Or is just not adapt at the type of blocking Lombardi wants the line to do?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was me in both cases you fucking dumbass. TP was the loudest of the Simms supporters.

Gaddamnit! Why do I always get saddled with this shit!?

I wasn't supporting him nearly so much as I was pointing out that his play was better than he was getting credit for. Same shit with Ashlee Palmer lately- I don't necessarily like the guy, but I'll defend the fact that he's a capable 2-down run-stopper.

Sims was very good in 2012, not as good in 2013, and has continued to regress this year. You definitely called it, so I have no issue giving you credit there.

I remember the result of our debate was a "wait and see" treaty to determine if 2013 was just an abnormally bad year, or the beginning of a downward slide. It definitely looks now like it was the start of a decline for sure, so you'd definitely seem to be right.

Doesn't mean I'm his biggest supporter, same with Palmer. I just try to be more realistic about a player's skill-set and abilities when the hyperbole (i.e. "he's horrible" or "he sucks") starts getting thrown around. Usually those kind of statements are uninformed and reactionary based on a bad highlight play that gets played over and over, while not taking into account said player's entire body of work.

That's all I'm sayin'... and for what it's worth I'm totally on board with your hypothesis that this was/is Sims' last season in the D. You just saw it a lot earlier than I did...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem as I see it is they have nobody waiting for a spot other than Swanson and he is a total unknown. Simms was traded by Seattle because he did not fit their scheme. Maybe Simms can only handle pass protection? Or is just not adapt at the type of blocking Lombardi wants the line to do?

Good thoughts there. Does anyone know if Lombardi switched us to a one blocking scheme? I'm honestly not sure, but since we ran a power blocking scheme under Linehan, that adjustment could well have a lot to do with things. If that is the case Lombardi should be smart about it and switch back. Clearly this unit could perform under the previous blocking scheme. Then again maybe he's running a similar scheme and our o-line just regressed this year?

The biggest concern for me is Warford- he was one of the best few guards in the league last year, so to see him struggling this year tells me there's a chance this blocking scheme isn't the best for the personnel we have. That's just speculative on my part, though- I really don't have all the info I need to make that assertion with any sort of confidence...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts there. Does anyone know if Lombardi switched us to a one blocking scheme? I'm honestly not sure, but since we ran a power blocking scheme under Linehan, that adjustment could well have a lot to do with things. If that is the case Lombardi should be smart about it and switch back. Clearly this unit could perform under the previous blocking scheme. Then again maybe he's running a similar scheme and our o-line just regressed this year?

The biggest concern for me is Warford- he was one of the best few guards in the league last year, so to see him struggling this year tells me there's a chance this blocking scheme isn't the best for the personnel we have. That's just speculative on my part, though- I really don't have all the info I need to make that assertion with any sort of confidence...

Agreed. Last year almost every game you would see big Larry steam rolling someone. I have not even noticed him this year. Same for Reiff.

As far as Sims goes, he regressed pretty bad in the second half last year. He was one of the reasons the office crapped the bed late in the year. I would put Reynolds at Guard which is a more natural position for him. Swanson can go to Center eventually. For this year though they should consider benching Sims and let Swanson play Guard and learn next to Dom.

At this point I am open to anything.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that last part for sure Old Lion. I'm open to try anything. Obviously this isn't a funk for Sims. He's pretty much done. I don't think Dom has been awful but he's been blown up a few times, looking like...well...DOM! I'd stick Swanson in for Sims and see what happens. I wouldn't replace Dom just yet, Swanson probably isn't ready to make the calls.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds pretty much proved RT was not his future. Swanson or Reynolds could do worse than Rob, who knows. Surely will not find out from the bench though. This staff is making progress, so I will just try and trust their decisions from what they see in practice. What I am seeing in games will get Stafford hurt.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day the kicker has cost us one game and many points. Both are huge concerns currently.

I am thinking Prater will be fine. This is his pre season. Not much kicking in rehab. Remember he is a addict.