• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roatan Honduras 2020

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of the usual pictures of parrotfish, damsel fish, etc, I'm putting up some of the more unusual critters you may see snorkeling around the in the Caribbean.

Mr. BG and I decided we needed a break from a series of stressful events so we dusted off our passports and put on our traveling masks & headed for the sunny Caribbean and the island of Roatan, Honduras. Flew into Miami first to pick up our rapid covid test, then on to Honduras & our island hideaway off the island for a bit more than a week. Had a day of a nasty front moving through but the weather and the water was warm. From our over the ocean bungalow, we were able to sit out & view parrotfish, needlefish & even a baby eagle ray swimming right up to our bungalow. The one day of nasty weather still meant we could open the windows & sleep to the tropical breeze & ocean waves.

First, a view of our island. Our bungalow was on the far side, facing open ocean.

20201129_143321.jpg

A view from our bungalow of the many beautiful sunsets.

20roat11.jpg

A spotted trunkfish

20roat64.Vivid_ful.jpg

Lots of jellyfish but all were non stinging.

20roat92.Vivid_ful.jpg

The fastest creature in the ocean is a spotted eagle ray if it sees you have a camera. One minute it's next to you & by the time you raise your camera 10 seconds later, it's 3 oceans away. This was truly a rare opportunity to catch one up close before it got away.

20roat104.Vivid_ful.jpg

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of the usual pictures of parrotfish, damsel fish, etc, I'm putting up some of the more unusual critters you may see snorkeling around the in the Caribbean.

Mr. BG and I decided we needed a break from a series of stressful events so we dusted off our passports and put on our traveling masks & headed for the sunny Caribbean and the island of Roatan, Honduras. Flew into Miami first to pick up our rapid covid test, then on to Honduras & our island hideaway off the island for a bit more than a week. Had a day of a nasty front moving through but the weather and the water was warm. From our over the ocean bungalow, we were able to sit out & view parrotfish, needlefish & even a baby eagle ray swimming right up to our bungalow. The one day of nasty weather still meant we could open the windows & sleep to the tropical breeze & ocean waves.

First, a view of our island. Our bungalow was on the far side, facing open ocean.

View attachment 260040

A view from our bungalow of the many beautiful sunsets.

View attachment 260041

A spotted trunkfish

View attachment 260042

Lots of jellyfish but all were non stinging.

View attachment 260043

The fastest creature in the ocean is a spotted eagle ray if it sees you have a camera. One minute it's next to you & by the time you raise your camera 10 seconds later, it's 3 oceans away. This was truly a rare opportunity to catch one up close before it got away.

View attachment 260044
good pics. did you visit Doosh?

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another shot of the beautiful eagle ray before it booked for open ocean at warp speed.

20roat108.Vivid_ful.jpg

The second fastest thing to the eagle ray are the angelfish. Especially the French Angelfish. They spot you & a camera & the game in on. This is a Queen Angelfish but had to chase it back & forth across the reef for 20 minutes just to catch this shot

20roat115.Vivid_ful.jpg

Queen Parrotfish

20roat120.Vivid_ful.jpg

Caught this slipper lobster on a night snorkel. Ugly sucker

20roa68.Vivid_ful.jpg

This peacock flounder just plunked himself down right in front of me.

20roa81.Vivid_ful.jpg

One of many reasons you never touch the coral. This may look like a piece of coral but is a scorpion fish. Extremely toxic & you'll regret putting your hands on this one.

20roa89.Vivid_ful.jpg

Had a family of 3 reef squid swim up & swim with me for a while. On my night snorkel, we managed to get 2 up from the depths to swim alongside us. In fact, we encouraged them a bit tooo much since I had to move one of them off my mask.

20roa116.Vivid_ful.jpg

Trumpetfish

PC050128.JPG

And just a view of the various corals & fish around the reef

20roat43.Vivid_ful.jpg

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool. Lol was showing my wife your pics just now. She's dazzled AND jealous. I MIGHT be in trouble... :lol:

I just got a special offer from United for French Polynesia in 2021. My credit card may be in trouble.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for tagging me, did I post that I love snorkeling in the Caribbean or something? Just wondering about the reason for the tag.

They make underwater cameras way better now than when I took mine in the Caymans. What a great trip you have there.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for tagging me, did I post that I love snorkeling in the Caribbean or something? Just wondering about the reason for the tag.

They make underwater cameras way better now than when I took mine in the Caymans. What a great trip you have there.

You mentioned it to me once, I thought. Sorry if i was wrong.

The Olympus TG series underwater camera is da bomb. Sadly their latest one will be their last in the series.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned it to me once, I thought. Sorry if i was wrong.

The Olympus TG series underwater camera is da bomb. Sadly their latest one will be their last in the series.

I had a camera as I snorkeled in St John. There were a million tiny silver fish around me in a giant school. When I knocked my cheap camera on a rock they all flinched at once. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

TechRaiderRider

Wreck Em!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another shot of the beautiful eagle ray before it booked for open ocean at warp speed.

View attachment 260046

The second fastest thing to the eagle ray are the angelfish. Especially the French Angelfish. They spot you & a camera & the game in on. This is a Queen Angelfish but had to chase it back & forth across the reef for 20 minutes just to catch this shot

View attachment 260045

Queen Parrotfish

View attachment 260047

Caught this slipper lobster on a night snorkel. Ugly sucker

View attachment 260048

This peacock flounder just plunked himself down right in front of me.

View attachment 260049

One of many reasons you never touch the coral. This may look like a piece of coral but is a scorpion fish. Extremely toxic & you'll regret putting your hands on this one.

View attachment 260050

Had a family of 3 reef squid swim up & swim with me for a while. On my night snorkel, we managed to get 2 up from the depths to swim alongside us. In fact, we encouraged them a bit tooo much since I had to move one of them off my mask.

View attachment 260051

Trumpetfish

View attachment 260052

And just a view of the various corals & fish around the reef

View attachment 260053
terrific pics -
envious -

cheers, BG!