• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rivals: Most Overrated Coaches

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 1996 Alabama and Georgia have only played 5 (cinco) regular season scheduled games. Georgia has played at Alabama twice (dos) since 1995. That's 23 years.lol. They can't seriously be in the same conference.
Pathetic given it’s not a 16+ team conference

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because teams in the same conference play each other more than once every five six years? LOL . What a dipshit.
Nope, that was sarcasm. The whole realignment bullshit didn't give a damn about quality whatsoever. Just more.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic given it’s not a 16+ team conference
A&M's first season in the SEC was 2012. They haven't played Georgia yet.

But, they've played SMU three times during that time.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivals.com - Three-Point Stance: Overrated coaches; Heisman hopefuls

Tom Herman, Texas Tom Herman is the right fit at Texas, and big things are coming. But a 7-6 overall record in the Power Five doesn’t seem to translate to the respect and hype he gets nationally. Yes, he did a good job in two seasons at Houston, but for a guy who has made some top 10 lists as a national coach, he’s a bit overrated right now. I do think that changes soon.

Mark Richt, Miami Richt’s overall record is impressive. But in 17 seasons as a head coach, he has only finished first outright in his division four times. He has Miami back on the right track for sure, but he still has the tag of the man who can’t win the big one
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa Ferentz makes a ton of money and is one of the more overrated and overvalued coaches out there. He’s had one 10-win season since 2009, and his 86-68 conference record isn’t that great for a guy who has been employed for so long at the same school. Iowa is usually good for seven or eight wins most years, yet he’s still talked about as one of the top coaches in college football.
Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic – OK, OK, FAU is not in a Power Five conference, but he’s been linked to so many Power Five jobs over the years and was such a failure at Tennessee and USC that I had to include him. I’m a Lane Kiffin fan as a person and personality, but as a coach, whoever gets him next could be sorry.
Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Harbaugh is the clear winner here. In fact, in an anonymous CBS Sports poll of college coaches asking who the most overrated was, Harbaugh was the clear No. 1 among his peers. Records of 28-11 and 18-8 in conference aren't bad at all in the Big Ten, but he hasn’t finished higher than third in his own division and he makes a boatload of money. I’m as guilty as anyone for overrating him, as I had him as the fifth-best coach in the country heading into last year. But I’m starting to scratch my head a bit.

Again, nice use of the embedded spoilers ... I agree with Harbaugh being #1 ... he is not being paid to lose to ohio state.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sorry but Gus Malzahn is a high school tier coach. At least his offensive scheme. Just like Gene Chizik he’s had some good runs of luck, but in no way is Gus thought of as a brilliant football mind. If not for last season going so well (until it counted lol) Gus would be on many hot seat lists going into this season.

What? Malzahn is a brilliant offensive mind. That makes him a great coordinator, jury is out on head coach. His injection of single wing concepts have been copied by almost everyone. You could fill 100k stadium up with people who think Dabo is a great head coach. You would be hard pressed to fill a closet with people who thought he possesses a brilliant football mind. Being a great Xs and Os man, doesn’t ensure you will be a great coach

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Snyder should be on the list. K-State hasn't done any better since 2009. I bet Ferentz got more players drafted too.

Not saying Ferentz doesn't deserve to be on the list, but so should Snyder.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Beating Saban a couple of times" is a pretty exclusive club...especially in the last 10 years. Who else is in that club? Hugh Freeze? Les Miles? Urban Meyer?

But he was billed as the guy who was supposed to run Saban out of the SEC because he was such an offensive mind and Saban couldn't handle the new rules of college football, and it was the end of the dynasty, etc.

He's been at Auburn for 5 years, has a record of 2-3 against Alabama. The first win was the kick six win and the second win was last year. 2 of those 3 years with losses they didn't even score 14 points in the game.

Just hasn't lived up to the hype IMO. Last year they were ready to fire him, then he wins against Georgia and Alabama and suddenly he's back to being great....despite finishing out the season with 2 losses.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was billed as the guy who was supposed to run Saban out of the SEC because he was such an offensive mind and Saban couldn't handle the new rules of college football, and it was the end of the dynasty, etc.

He's been at Auburn for 5 years, has a record of 2-3 against Alabama. The first win was the kick six win and the second win was last year. 2 of those 3 years with losses they didn't even score 14 points in the game.

Just hasn't lived up to the hype IMO. Last year they were ready to fire him, then he wins against Georgia and Alabama and suddenly he's back to being great....despite finishing out the season with 2 losses.
Don’t you have to be rated to be over rated?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, so were Sumlin, Bielema, Freeze, Muschamp, etal. I wasn't defending Malzhan. Just pointing out the list of coaches that have beaten Saban more than once in the last 10 years is not very long. If beating Saban multiple times is the criteria, ain't many in that group.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so were Sumlin, Bielema, Freeze, Muschamp, etal. I wasn't defending Malzhan. Just pointing out the list of coaches that have beaten Saban more than once in the last 10 years is not very long. If beating Saban multiple times is the criteria, ain't many in that group.

Sumlin was right on the edge of my list. Freeze didn't get mentioned simply because they got fired and aren't coaching. Muschamp might be under-rated at this point, we'll see how South Carolina does this year, but he was definitely over-rated 10 years ago.

And I guess I just don't respect the wins that much due to it being a rival, some wins are just going to happen because of the intensity of it all etc. And that he's never really done anything to impress me in either of his wins. Kick six was his first win, bad offense and being beat the fuck up was the reason they won last year. Wins are wins, but they don't exactly scream "great fucking coach" to me.

He's always been a gimmick coach to me, and that gimmick isn't really what it once was, football has adjusted and what else does he have?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sumlin was right on the edge of my list. Freeze didn't get mentioned simply because they got fired and aren't coaching. Muschamp might be under-rated at this point, we'll see how South Carolina does this year, but he was definitely over-rated 10 years ago.

And I guess I just don't respect the wins that much due to it being a rival, some wins are just going to happen because of the intensity of it all etc. And that he's never really done anything to impress me in either of his wins. Kick six was his first win, bad offense and being beat the fuck up was the reason they won last year. Wins are wins, but they don't exactly scream "great fucking coach" to me.

He's always been a gimmick coach to me, and that gimmick isn't really what it once was, football has adjusted and what else does he have?

I wouldn’t call it gimmicks. He has some great plays. He was really cutting edge 5 years ago, but people catch up. You can say the same thing about Meyer or pretty much any offensive mind. I have wondered about his actual coaching ability. I just can’t think of many QBs he has developed. I am not sure Cam’s college success was from Malzahns guidance or merely genetics.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t call it gimmicks. He has some great plays. He was really cutting edge 5 years ago, but people catch up. You can say the same thing about Meyer or pretty much any offensive mind. I have wondered about his actual coaching ability. I just can’t think of many QBs he has developed. I am not sure Cam’s college success was from Malzahns guidance or merely genetics.

I think of them as gimmicks because of the way they work. Kind of like 1 trick pony type offense, similar to the triple option.

And if Cam hadn't stolen that laptop, he'd been at Florida in 2010, Urban would have won another NC and is probably still at Florida and Gus is probably working as an analyst for Alabama.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of them as gimmicks because of the way they work. Kind of like 1 trick pony type offense, similar to the triple option.

And if Cam hadn't stolen that laptop, he'd been at Florida in 2010, Urban would have won another NC and is probably still at Florida and Gus is probably working as an analyst for Alabama.

He definitely took option football to a new level, but he started out as an air raid guy. If I was paying a consultant just to draw up offensive plays he would be at the top of my list. It’s the other stuff I question