• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Tom Verlaine

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Verlaine = TV = Television.

00:00 - See No Evil (Verlaine)
04:01- Venus (Verlaine)
07:53 - Friction (Verlaine)
12:37 - Marquee Moon (Verlaine)
22:26 - Elevation (Verlaine)
28:01- Guiding Light (Lloyd/Verlaine)
33:36 - Prove It (Verlaine)
38:39 - Torn Curtain (Verlaine)

Tom Verlaine: Lead vocals, guitar.
Richard Lloyd: Guitar, vocals.
Fred Smith: Bass, vocals.
Billy Ficca: Drums.
TV : Keyboards

Last edited:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Verlaine = TV = Television.

00:00 - See No Evil (Verlaine)
04:01- Venus (Verlaine)
07:53 - Friction (Verlaine)
12:37 - Marquee Moon (Verlaine)
22:26 - Elevation (Verlaine)
28:01- Guiding Light (Lloyd/Verlaine)
33:36 - Prove It (Verlaine)
38:39 - Torn Curtain (Verlaine)

Tom Verlaine: Lead vocals, guitar.
Richard Lloyd: Guitar, vocals.
Fred Smith: Bass, vocals.
Billy Ficca: Drums.
TV : Keyboards

I’m pretty sure he was on drugs when he wrote Marque Moon lyrics. Lol. Love how they play the repetitive chords on this track starting with the intro.. Gotta learn to play this on guitar.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m pretty sure he was on drugs when he wrote Marque Moon lyrics. Lol. Love how they play the repetitive chords on this track starting with the intro.. Gotta learn to play this on guitar.
Guitars, style and effects.....

Throughout his career Verlaine played a variety of Fender guitars. Most famously in the heyday of Television he played a Fender Jazzmaster and a Fender Jaguar through Fender and Vox amps. These guitars were an unusual choice for a rock musician at that time. Verlaine is credited as having been instrumental in bringing what were seen as "surf" guitars, the Jaguar and Jazzmaster, into the rock arena. Verlaine is pictured inside the compilation The Miller's Tale playing both types of guitars. Recently, at solo concerts and at Television concerts, Verlaine played a guitar built in the style of a Fender Stratocaster that was modified with Danelectro "lipstick" pickups and fitted with a Fender Jazzmaster neck.

Verlaine was an advocate of guitar techniques and recording processes including close miking, delay, reverb, slap echo, phasing/flanging, tremolo, etc. Television's first commercially released recording, "Little Johnny Jewel", saw Verlaine, in defiance of common practice, plugging his guitar straight into the recording desk with no amplification. Verlaine rarely employed heavy distortion.

Vibrato was a large part of Verlaine's style and he made extensive use of the Jazzmaster's unique vibrato arm. In terms of guitar scales and note selection, Verlaine used the mixolydian and minor pentatonic scale with clear blues influences similar to many contemporary rock & roll artists. Verlaine distinguished his style mainly in choice of phrasing, often choosing to play slower and less technically demanding riffs than many contemporary lead guitarists. Verlaine used a thin pick and heavy strings (gauges .050 to .013) and tuned down a half step or more. In contrast to most modern rock guitarists, he used a wound 3rd string. Verlaine usually played with the bridge pickup on, but picked over the neck pickup. This, according to him, gave a "full yet clear sound".[13]

The development of Verlaine's style likely was influenced by the way he learned to play; he told a Guitar Player interviewer in 2005 "I never played guitar along with records, so I never learned all the speed licks everybody gravitates to when starting out. I know 19-year-old guitarists who can play Danny Gatton solos note-for-note. They don’t really know what notes they’re playing, but they do them flawlessly."[13]

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guitars, style and effects.....

Throughout his career Verlaine played a variety of Fender guitars. Most famously in the heyday of Television he played a Fender Jazzmaster and a Fender Jaguar through Fender and Vox amps. These guitars were an unusual choice for a rock musician at that time. Verlaine is credited as having been instrumental in bringing what were seen as "surf" guitars, the Jaguar and Jazzmaster, into the rock arena. Verlaine is pictured inside the compilation The Miller's Tale playing both types of guitars. Recently, at solo concerts and at Television concerts, Verlaine played a guitar built in the style of a Fender Stratocaster that was modified with Danelectro "lipstick" pickups and fitted with a Fender Jazzmaster neck.

Verlaine was an advocate of guitar techniques and recording processes including close miking, delay, reverb, slap echo, phasing/flanging, tremolo, etc. Television's first commercially released recording, "Little Johnny Jewel", saw Verlaine, in defiance of common practice, plugging his guitar straight into the recording desk with no amplification. Verlaine rarely employed heavy distortion.

Vibrato was a large part of Verlaine's style and he made extensive use of the Jazzmaster's unique vibrato arm. In terms of guitar scales and note selection, Verlaine used the mixolydian and minor pentatonic scale with clear blues influences similar to many contemporary rock & roll artists. Verlaine distinguished his style mainly in choice of phrasing, often choosing to play slower and less technically demanding riffs than many contemporary lead guitarists. Verlaine used a thin pick and heavy strings (gauges .050 to .013) and tuned down a half step or more. In contrast to most modern rock guitarists, he used a wound 3rd string. Verlaine usually played with the bridge pickup on, but picked over the neck pickup. This, according to him, gave a "full yet clear sound".[13]

The development of Verlaine's style likely was influenced by the way he learned to play; he told a Guitar Player interviewer in 2005 "I never played guitar along with records, so I never learned all the speed licks everybody gravitates to when starting out. I know 19-year-old guitarists who can play Danny Gatton solos note-for-note. They don’t really know what notes they’re playing, but they do them flawlessly."[13]

I found two Marquee Moon guitar tutorials that would be cool to play around with. These two guys really know how to play guitar.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found two Marquee Moon guitar tutorials that would be cool to play around with. These two guys really know how to play guitar.
No doubt. They are both really very good...and make it look & sound so simple.
Also...if you haven't already done so, check out the comments section in both vids.
Some interesting tips & informative replies. Thanks for posting these.
:thumb: