• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP to the Rivalries we've lost

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas probably threatened to murder Bobby Dodd unless he pulled GT from the SEC

so they also killed

GT/Alabama
GT/Auburn

:tsk:

I believe the confrontation of Bear Bryant and Darwin Holt vs
Bobby Dodd and Chick Granning killed Alabama-Ga Tech

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of fans I have talked to don't like the direction college football has been going over the past 10 years. It already has two strikes against it with the first strike being the death of many of the sport's best rivalries (in the pursuit of money, money, money). The second strike has been the insane scheduling of games at odd times on TV and the delays in announcing starting times just a few days before kickoff which makes it hard to plan/travel if you want to see a game live. The third strike for many fans will be if players start getting paid in addition to all the other benefits they already get on scholarship.

I'm going to disagree a bit about modern day game times and
delays.

They don't fuck with game dates like they used to. Game times also used to be changed way back when. At least now they don't
print kick-off times on the tickets. I could show you any number
of times when game days and game times were switched 30 years
and more ago.

At least now the game days stay the same.

In 1980, FSU was scheduled to play VPI on Nov 8. Then have an
open date on Nov 15 and finish with UF on Nov 22.

UF was scheduled to plau UGA on Nov 8. Play at Kntucky on 11/15
@ FSU on 11/22 and vs Miami on 11/29.

ABC wanted to televise FSU/UF on 12/6. Both schools agreed.
Well, for UF they wound up getting an open date before the Miami
game. FSU wound up not playing a game for a month (11/8-12/6).

FSU would win coming from behind in the second half fter trailing
13-3 at the half. We looked like we hadn't played a game in a
month and we hadn't.

Two years before TV moved the UF game to a Friday afternoon
kick-off time, instead of a Saturday game.

These TV contracts now have a better grip on what is going on.
The schools do not even print kickoff times on their tickets anymore as those are determined a week in advance. Fans know to look for the times. 40 years ago you were double-checking just
to find out what day the fucking game was going to be played.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kansas is so butthurt about Mizzou going to the SEC it won't schedule that game anymore, fans be damned

The organizing body that runs the public universities in Kansas should know that this is enough of a problem to fire the people at KU who refuse to schedule Mizzou and replace them with people more willing to do it (which would cost Bill Self his job as the men's hoops coach, maybe a mid-major will land him).

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to come up with ONE (1) traditional OUT OF CONFERENCE rival for teams. Some already have one so they're exempt from playing another. I figure only one would be the most realistic. Sure, I'd love [Florida-Florida St-Miami] to play each other as well as [Penn St-Pitt-West Virginia], but what are you gonna do? An exception would be Notre Dame. Since it doesn't play in a conference it has more leeway to play more teams. It would also make their schedule brutal, but that'd be the price to pay for not being conferenced.

Exempt:

Air Force-Army-Navy
BYU-Utah
BYU-Utah St
Clemson-South Carolina
Colorado-Colorado St
Georgia-GA Tech
Florida-Florida St
Iowa-Iowa St
Kentucky-Louisville
New Mexico-New Mexico St
Notre Dame-Michigan
Notre Dame-USC
UConn-UMass (I think this one is back on)
-------------------
Ones I'd like to see started/resumed:
Alabama-Miami
Arkansas-Texas
Boise St-Oregon
Duke-East Carolina
Houston-UTSA
Kansas-Missouri
Maryland-Virginia
Memphis-Vanderbilt
Nebraska-Oklahoma
Notre Dame-Ohio St
Penn St-Pitt
TCU-Texas A&M
VA Tech-West Virginia

I'm having a hard time coming up with a formidable OOC rival for some major teams----LSU (not Tulane), Tennessee (not Memphis), UCLA (?), Wisconsin (?), etc.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Georgia-Clemson?

Florida-Miami

Now I can go way back...but some pretty decent rivalries
used to be...

VPI-VMI (Turkey Day Game)

Syracuse-Penn State was big-time important

Boston College-Holy Cross

UGA/Clemson was played every year for the first half of my life. It is a natural rivalry game. The schools are within spitting distance. It is a disgrace to CFB nation that this game is not played every year. As a Dawg fan, I'd be more than happy to shitcan GT and play Clemson every year.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought by now that I would miss Texas playing a$m … but actually I do not miss them at all …

sec problem now and I am fine with that ...

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn/UMass. It's like watching a couple of drunk midgets swordfight with their dicks.

Reactions: gob

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it’s been mentioned but growing up in the 80’s a good rivalry was Syracuse and Penn St.

Both were independent back then and it effectively ended when PSU joined the B10.

Cuse fielded better teams back then and it was games like this that raised their profile and allowed them to recruit better.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Iowa State games with Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of fans I have talked to don't like the direction college football has been going over the past 10 years. It already has two strikes against it with the first strike being the death of many of the sport's best rivalries (in the pursuit of money, money, money). The second strike has been the insane scheduling of games at odd times on TV and the delays in announcing starting times just a few days before kickoff which makes it hard to plan/travel if you want to see a game live. The third strike for many fans will be if players start getting paid in addition to all the other benefits they already get on scholarship.

will the new transfer portal be added to the list someday?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will the new transfer portal be added to the list someday?

I'm kinda torn about the transfer portal. Mostly I'm not in favor of it but the two parts of it I think are great are:

(a) If a player graduates with college eligibility remaining, they can play elsewhere right away. That’s as long as they’ve still got time left on their five-year clock. (This makes a kid want to graduate ASAP.)

(b) If a team gets caught breaking NCAA rules and banned from the postseason for all the remaining years of a player’s career, that player can transfer and play right away. (A kid can leave a dirty program without being penalized.)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread woulda been better with a slo-mo tribute video

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan-Ohio State

RIP

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn/Mercer

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda torn about the transfer portal. Mostly I'm not in favor of it but the two parts of it I think are great are:

(a) If a player graduates with college eligibility remaining, they can play elsewhere right away. That’s as long as they’ve still got time left on their five-year clock. (This makes a kid want to graduate ASAP.)

(b) If a team gets caught breaking NCAA rules and banned from the postseason for all the remaining years of a player’s career, that player can transfer and play right away. (A kid can leave a dirty program without being penalized.)

Those are definitely positive, kids out shopping themselves like it's a free agency might be worse in the long run.