• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Hardy Fox

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've probably never heard of him, or the band he was "business manager" for.

He was a touchstone on my lifelong discovery of music.

My first memory of music would be Tommy James and the Shondells "Crimson and Clover". I'm not sure I was even 2 years of age. I'm 51 now and listen to everything from Chopin to Faren Young to Meshuggah to John Cage to Bananarama.

Hardy Fox was one of the primary creative forces behind a band from San Francisco called The Residents. They were a performance art-based band from San Francisco by way of Texas, Louisiana and who knows where else.

The Residents created music and art that challenged the preconceived notions of music and art, haranguing the marketing of music to the masses while being enamored by the simplicity and accessibility of pop music. They maintained their anonymity by not appearing in the liner notes, and by obscuring their appearance in live performance. Their costumes as seen below were quite simple, tux and tails with a large eyeball mask donning a top hat. Their name derived from the return of an anonymous submission to Warner Brothers in which they provided a return address. Their submission was returned and addressed to "Residents".
1157-1360x940.jpg

Their first full length album was titled "Meet the Residents" and released in 1974. My personal selection from this album would have to be "Spotted Pinto Bean" followed closely by "Infant Tango" and "Smelly Tongues".

They were one of the first artists to parody or lampoon existing songs, as the first track on "Meet the Residents" was a loose take on Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Were Made for Walking". They were adept at creating sounds that grated on the nerve, seemed to draw lyrics from stream of consciousness diatribes or glorified the remnants of the subconscious found while under duress or ecstasy.

The compositions themselves would range from semi-complex to deconstructionist/minimalist.

Their lineup would shift and change from album to album. Some contributing artists were known (Snakefinger), and some are still up for debate to this day (members of Dead Kennedys, Primus, Devo are suspected of being involved from time to time).

RIP Hardy, thanks for enriching my musical experience and tastes.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
R.I.P. Hardy Fox

Home | HARDY FOX -------- BRAIN CANCER -------- 1945 - 2018

I had the pleasure of seeing the Residents a few times back in the 80's...here in Cali, both here in the bay area, and in so-cal...as well as in the UK & Germany while visiting.

Truly a treat for all the senses.

They are icons here in SF.

One of the most original experimental performance artist groups to emerge from the music scene...and imho, were at the pinnacle & forefront of the avant-garde movement...and still are to this day.

Hoisting in Honor of Hardy.

:suds: