• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Fred Carr

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most underrated players ever. He was a great player on some bad teams.

Talented, fun-loving Fred Carr dies at age 71

I'm too young to have seen him play, but that article taught me a lot. He played basketball at Texas Western the year after they beat Kentucky for the championship. I liked Peppler's comment. "We knew he wasn't a rocket scientist. But, boy, he was a good athlete. He could run like a deer."

I love Cliff Christl's articles.

RIP Fred.

gandog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember him as one bright spot in a pretty much abysmal defense.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember him as one bright spot in a pretty much abysmal defense.

The defense was actually pretty good for a couple of Fred's years. The '72 team was particularly good. Willie Buchanon and Ken Ellis may have been the best pair of CBs in the league. The '74 team had Ted Hendricks and he may have been the best player in football at the time.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was actually pretty good for a couple of Fred's years. The '72 team was particularly good. Willie Buchanon and Ken Ellis may have been the best pair of CBs in the league. The '74 team had Ted Hendricks and he may have been the best player in football at the time.

Didn't "Towering Ted" only play for the Packers for one season?

I know I could just Google but I like hearing from people who actually saw some of these older guys play.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't "Towering Ted" only play for the Packers for one season?

I know I could just Google but I like hearing from people who actually saw some of these older guys play.

1 season for Ted, that's correct. But it was one of the best seasons by an NFL player ever. He did it all....intercepting passes, blocking lots of kicks, made plays everywhere. But down after down, Fred Carr was a player. He'd have been successful in any era. He never got the recognition he should have.