• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Bob Bahre. NHMS founder dies at 93 years old.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'A true pioneer for motor sports in New England': Bob Bahre, founder of NHMS, dies at 93

I'm bummin right now. Mr. Bahre bought the old Bryar Motorports Park after selling his interest in Oxford Plains Speedway in Maine in 1987 and proceeded to completely transform the little race track in Loudon, NH turning into a destination for NASCAR and Indy Car. Sadly the turmoil in the open wheel racing world and the legal battles between Indy & CART led to the end of open wheel (not modified and super modified) racing here in NH.

I went to my first race at NHIS in 1993, the inaugural New England 300 and was excited to see a boyhood favorite (Mario Andretti) of mine race. Unfortunately he smacked he wall right in front of us pretty early in the race and to make matters worse I got home later that day to hear my oldest son who was 5 1/2 years old tell me that he scored his first goal during his intro-mites hockey game.

I did get to see a few more Indy Car races before that show stopped and I definitely got to watch my boy score a shit ton of goals as he went on to be a damn good hockey player.

Thanks for the memories, Bob :thumb:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those that are unaware, the Bryar Motorsports Park was a destination for the the top end motorcycle racing back in the day. The week long gathering of motorcyclists and bikers at the race track just south of Laconia and Weirs Beach long ago turned into what was simply known as "Bike Week" and has been a major money maker for the businesses on the south end of Lake Winnipesaukee for almost 100 years. Bike Week has had its share of ups and downs over the years, but continues to draw motorcycle enthusiasts and reprobates every summer.