• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riley Cooper and Cary Williams

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lots of layers to this one, including the obvious Cooper issues and Cary Williams' ongoing fondness for pushing people:

Riley Cooper, Cary Williams of Philadelphia Eagles scuffle at practice - ESPN

Though I think this is my favorite part:

"I try to be the peacemaker," Vick told the newspaper, "but these young dudes don't respect me."

Two thoughts on that. First, is Vick really a guy who should be calling out younger players for not being respectful? Second, Cary Williams is turning 29 in December. Not exactly a "young dude" by NFL standards.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of layers to this one, including the obvious Cooper issues and Cary Williams' ongoing fondness for pushing people:

"I try to be the peacemaker," Vick told the newspaper, "but these young dudes don't respect me."

Two thoughts on that. First, is Vick really a guy who should be calling out younger players for not being respectful? Second, Cary Williams is turning 29 in December. Not exactly a "young dude" by NFL standards.

Williams was fined $15,750 for a late hit against Denver. He was also caught shoving an official in the Super Bowl.

Playing fast and loose with the word "caught" seeing as how he was neither penalized nor ejected.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Playing fast and loose with the word "caught" seeing as how he was neither penalized nor ejected.

He was penalized. His penalty offset with Staley's, though, so there was no real effect.

It still blows my mind that he wasn't ejected. On that play, he and another Raven had Anthony Davis pinned on the ground. He was raining punches into Davis' midsection. He got off of Davis, looked right at an official, and pushed him with two hands. Even after that, he kept at it, going after Bruce Miller even when that same official stepped in between them. That was such a farce. I realize it's the super bowl, but how does this result in an ejection:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iykN1g-ugg]Justin Smith shoves referee and gets kicked out of game 49ers vs Chargers 12-16-10 - YouTube[/ame]

while this doesn't?:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsxtWUtY1o]Super Bowl Ref Shove - YouTube[/ame]

It's so bush league that the NFL never addressed that. Just ridiculous.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well now I'm pissed off again. Damn it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cooper should have just whipped his ass and got it over with. You can't let dudes get up in your face and talk like Williams did.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cooper should have just whipped his ass and got it over with. You can't let dudes get up in your face and talk like Williams did.

Yeah, but probably unnecessary if that security guard at the concert had whipped Cooper's ass as he should have done.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but probably unnecessary if that security guard at the concert had whipped Cooper's ass as he should have done.

Agreed. Cooper would have deserved it. You talk tough you better be able to back it up. Hate people who have no respect for authority.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. Cooper would have deserved it. You talk tough you better be able to back it up. Hate people who have no respect for authority.

Out of a morbid curiosity, what is Cooper's authority in the context of a practice scuffle?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of a morbid curiosity, what is Cooper's authority in the context of a practice scuffle?

None. Man on Man. Guy gets up in your face talking ****er this and ****er that you whip his ass. He has the authority to whip a man's ass who throws punches at him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cary Williams is used to getting away with pushing people.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Training camp dust ups happen every day and are no big deal but I've seen this one played over and over and over on ESPN as they desperately try to create a racial controversy story. Its embarrassing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Training camp dust ups happen every day and are no big deal but I've seen this one played over and over and over on ESPN as they desperately try to create a racial controversy story. Its embarrassing.

Kind of inevitable given Cooper's statements earlier this summer. And you seem to buy into the stories that Williams used the n-word which, if true, strongly suggests he was still harboring some anger over that incident.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of inevitable given Cooper's statements earlier this summer. And you seem to buy into the stories that Williams used the n-word which, if true, strongly suggests he was still harboring some anger over that incident.

I definitely buy into it because the author quotes people who were there. Its still a non story. Riley is not the first nor will he be the last to say such things or harbor such feelings as Cooper so eloquently showed us. Anyone who is surprised by what Cooper said, other than by the fact that he was dumb enough to do it in public, has their head in the sand.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I definitely buy into it because the author quotes people who were there. Its still a non story. Riley is not the first nor will he be the last to say such things or harbor such feelings as Cooper so eloquently showed us. Anyone who is surprised by what Cooper said, other than by the fact that he was dumb enough to do it in public, has their head in the sand.

Ok. But if you agree that this fight was at least partially motivated by - or at the very least exacerbated by - Cooper's comments, it would seem that there is a legitimate racial controversy story here.

I'm not really sure why you're criticizing ESPN's coverage. As far as I can tell, your argument is that racism is still so prevalent that it doesn't deserve coverage. You may be correct about the prevalence of racism, but I disagree as to whether it is newsworthy in this instance. I think it's quite pertinent that a guy who plays on a professional sports team that is probably well over 60% black would use that word in the manner in which he used it while verbally assaulting another human being - who was just doing his/her job - while in a very public forum. This is particularly true as he went to the concert with several teammates and the coach, and actually went on stage with Chip Kelly at one point. He wasn't just there as a fan. He was there as a representative of the Eagles. And while in that capacity, he made a colossal blunder. That's news in my book. And the ramifications of that blunder on the practice field are also news.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. But if you agree that this fight was at least partially motivated by - or at the very least exacerbated by - Cooper's comments, it would seem that there is a legitimate racial controversy story here.
I'm not really sure why you're criticizing ESPN's coverage. As far as I can tell, your argument is that racism is still so prevalent that it doesn't deserve coverage. You may be correct about the prevalence of racism, but I disagree as to whether it is newsworthy in this instance. I think it's quite pertinent that a guy who plays on a professional sports team that is probably well over 60% black would use that word in the manner in which he used it while verbally assaulting another human being - who was just doing his/her job - while in a very public forum. This is particularly true as he went to the concert with several teammates and the coach, and actually went on stage with Chip Kelly at one point. He wasn't just there as a fan. He was there as a representative of the Eagles. And while in that capacity, he made a colossal blunder. That's news in my book. And the ramifications of that blunder on the practice field are also news.

Not to me. ESPN was not motivated by news they were motivated by sensationalism. Its not a story unless they attempt to make it one. I'm sure with the underlying racial animosity that pervades this society that that same animosity exists in the NFL and part of the fights that occur happen because the black guy has been told all his life not to take any shit from the white guy. To me that is not a story.

I agree with you 100% though that Cooper was in the wrong at the concert and that he was representing the Eagles which makes it worse. I doubt Williams cared though that Cooper's comments reflected poorly on the Eagles, I think his was more of a personal thing in that he wasn't going to take any shit from a white guy.