• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rich Scangarello Fired

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Shurmer hire. Veteran coach with a good track record of developing young QB's. I'm not too worried about Lock learning a new system. He barely got his arms around Scangarello's and he'll have all off season to study as our QB1.

Mostly, I like the idea that Fangio knows he has to take bold steps to compete in the AFC West. Watching Mahommes tear it up yesterday was quite depressing.

Broncos are on the rise but the mountain to climb is pretty tall.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question:

Is there any direction from the top? Where is the vision? Now we are moving away from SF running scheme to what? How can you draft any players that will be here for 3-4 years if the scheme changes every year?

Is Elway is Alicia Silverstone??

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question:

Is there any direction from the top? Where is the vision? Now we are moving away from SF running scheme to what? How can you draft any players that will be here for 3-4 years if the scheme changes every year?

Is Elway is Alicia Silverstone??

I think the Broncos do get from Schumur what they announced was the plan from hiring Scangarello - someone who opens up the field - spreads the offense out - and attacks the defense from every angle.

All of this, however, should be attached to blocking schemes and player strengths as well as an overall vision. From what I understand Schumur had his pick of teams and wanted the Broncos because of their youth and because of Drew Lock. That's comforting.

I take your point and agree with your concern - if not done correctly this could be a mess. On the other hand - we are the Broncos - not the Browns or the Giants.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the attitude of getting better and I appreciate that. If Tom Brady wants to come to Denver do we sign him? At some point we have let a young guy develop and that goes for coaching and players.

It would have been interesting if Denver would have hired Shurmur as a special offensive coordinator or something like that where he would be above Scangarello. It helps develop Scangarello, but yet give some leadership to that side of the ball. We had a lot of inexperience at may important positions. That may have been brought up and shot down be one or both coaches.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Broncos do get from Schumur what they announced was the plan from hiring Scangarello - someone who opens up the field - spreads the offense out - and attacks the defense from every angle.

All of this, however, should be attached to blocking schemes and player strengths as well as an overall vision. From what I understand Schumur had his pick of teams and wanted the Broncos because of their youth and because of Drew Lock. That's comforting.

I take your point and agree with your concern - if not done correctly this could be a mess. On the other hand - we are the Broncos - not the Browns or the Giants.

Keep changing coaches every year and we will become the Browns or the Giants.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my guess...

Scang was Elway’s pick as OC and Vic tried, but never bought into it. I think Shumerazzi is 100% Vic’s guy.

I don’t love the changes - but one thing I’ve learned over the years, once you make a decision about an employee, waiting never makes the situation better.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my guess...

Scang was Elway’s pick as OC and Vic tried, but never bought into it. I think Shumerazzi is 100% Vic’s guy.

I don’t love the changes - but one thing I’ve learned over the years, once you make a decision about an employee, waiting never makes the situation better.

Wans't Mccoy, Musgrave also Elway's pick as OC? Forget about firing why even hire him to begin with. Empower your HC plain and simple. IMO, Elway is the issue.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos were only NFL team to finish in bottom 5 in all 4 key offensive metrics: Points, yards, third down percentage and red zone percentage.#9sports

What position did Scangarello play?? After all, he had 10 other All-Pro guys playing with him on offense, right?? Who does Fangio whack with the ax next year? DC?? Then the ST?? How about cutting the entire offense Vic?? Don't stand up and take any blame......not your fault.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wans't Mccoy, Musgrave also Elway's pick as OC? Forget about firing why even hire him to begin with. Empower your HC plain and simple. IMO, Elway is the issue.
In today’s Athletic, Nicki says that Scang was Vic’s pick. I’m still not so sure - but if I’m wrong I’m sure it’s the first time!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What position did Scangarello play?? After all, he had 10 other All-Pro guys playing with him on offense, right?? Who does Fangio whack with the ax next year? DC?? Then the ST?? How about cutting the entire offense Vic?? Don't stand up and take any blame......not your fault.

There were several issues with the offense, and one of them was Flacco was not good. To be fair though Scangarello's play calling was not good at times either. On the Offensive side of the ball there was a ton of inexperience at the beginning of the year, and it increased as players were hurt or traded. We had several 1st or second year players, an over the hill QB, and a rookie OC. As the year went on I thought the offense started to do better. Scangarello was not near as predictable, and the offense was being more productive. Was it enough to say they were going to be a top 15 Offense next year? I wouldn't place any guarantees on that, but strides were made in the right direction.

Now we have a new play caller that will have to learn the personnel all over again. Hopefully the 2020 week 1 version of the Broncos offense better then the 2019 week 1 version. This time the OC has more experience calling plays so hopefully the learning curve is less.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today’s Athletic, Nicki says that Scang was Vic’s pick. I’m still not so sure - but if I’m wrong I’m sure it’s the first time!

Could be right.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 24 when I met my wife. We didn’t get together just then: timing wasn’t right. At the time I was involved in a toxic relationship with the wrong person and I knew it. I remember saying to a friend about my wife, who was then just a cute girl I flirted with, “if I thought she was interested in me id drop [my ex] without a moment’s hesitation.”

The idea here was that if something better was an option I’d pursue it. I didn’t and I stayed in a toxic relationship because I was comfortable with it. Despite knowing it wasn’t working.

(you see, this sort of thing is why I am one of the best commenters ever: I make football analysis personal like that!)

Scangarello MAY have worked out but the team must have had a line on Shurmur’s availability and believe he would be a better option faster. Or maybe they believed Scangarello was just not the right fit.

my guess is they saw an opportunity and took it. Teams do this sort of thing with players all the time: scrap a player with potential for a more proven player. This happens every season on just about every team and nobody bats an eye.

Why so surprised when it happens to coaches?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This appears to be about Drew Lock development. With perhaps Mike Shula coming in as the QB coach. Also - why have a dunk and dink offense - with a power armed QB. Some things are beginning to make sense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This appears to be about Drew Lock development. With perhaps Mike Shula coming in as the QB coach. Also - why have a dunk and dink offense - with a power armed QB. Some things are beginning to make sense.

Giants/Shurmer had the 2nd most long TD completions in the NFL this year.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well crash average sounds a lot better than what we’ve had the last 4 years. If we can finish 16th on Offense instead of 26th then we’re a playoff team.

Last edited:

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lock puts up the exact same numbers as Keenum did his last year with Shurmur as his OC, then we’re a playoff team. 67% completion percentage, 3,500 yards, 22 TD’s, and 7 INT’s.

And Lock has way more talent than Keenum so if that’s his floor we’re in great shape.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have a different standard see I thought we were going for our old Standard of a Ferrari one of the best Running games in the league.

Well crap, I am weird those Standards just don't cut it with me too well ... I like a Running/passing game from hell .

We surely need to get rid of our OL coach since we want 16th best in every category.

We no longer want to be the best !?!?Hmmmm

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Color me mystified