• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revisited: Weddings during football season

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know one of the objections to getting married during football season is that your anniversary will generally roll around at the same time as some very important games. Because of this, I wrangled our wedding date to be Jan 31st, which is usually sometime between the Conference Title games and the Superb Owl.

the year we got married, 2004, the SB was the very next day, and we spent it on a plane to Hawaii.

It was the game between the Panthers and the Patriots.

I have still, to this day, never watched that game.

i watching the florida/OSU championship game in 2007 on my honeymoon. got drunk and was sick for the next 4 days

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t expect people to plan their entire lives around sports. Otherwise there would only be weddings two days a year because you have college football, college basketball, NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, PGA, NASCAR, etc. Also people get shit for having weddings on holidays. Getting married in the summer you run the risk of it being a sweltering day and no one wants to be a sweaty mess, winter you run the risk of a snow storm or people not being able to fly in because of ice, like today. I’m just saying try to be mindful and take a look at the schedule. If Ohio State is playing Michigan or Oklahoma, pick a different week. If it’s Rutgers or Oregon State, have at it.
Well the big difference there is there are only 12-14 college football games a year. It's way different than really any other sports. The only reason you don't hear it when it comes to the NFL is because people don't get married on Sundays. NBA, MLB, NHL, there are dozens and dozens of games every season, and then a bunch more in the playoffs. I've personally never known anyone to not have a wedding due to an MLS game or NASCAR.

I've been to probably 8-9 summer weddings (was Best Man/in the groomsmen party for 3 of them) and they were fine. You get hot, but you just have the wedding indoors and it's no problem. I've been to 2-3 winter weddings, and again they were fine indoors. I'm getting married this May, and it honestly wasn't that difficult of a date to get. We're getting married at a golf course, and we were able to go in last summer and we had our pick of 3 Saturdays in May and 3 in April, so it's not that difficult to do them in the Spring if you plan ahead well enough.

You're right though. If it's a close friend, I won't care about missing a game like Tulane.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the silver lining is this.

I'm officiating both weddings. I will guarantee that, together , they will not last 5 minutes in total.

"Do you?
Do you?
Go on ahead then.
Kiss her.
GTFOH
Amen"

Be smart about, you sent the schedule for when the wed starts, that way you can work around game times, plus you look good with your sister and your soon to be daughter in law....

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say anything about it I hear "There will be other games, you're being selfish."

Im 55 years old. The number of game days I have left are limited. Assuming a 14 game season, there are 38 other Saturdays you can get married on, in one year alone. These chicks don't seem to understand.

Fuck fuck fuckity fucking fuck.

Not going to lie buddy that sucks for your football fanhood, but we had a bad one in 2017 October. Every freaking Saturday we had a wedding. I missed 3.5 freaking games (the last one we loss vs Okie Jr I was able to catch the first half). An two weeks after that we had one more in November. Missed that whole freaking game too. I was irritated.

Tortilla Launcher

Defense is boring
Hoopla Cash
$ 354.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually end up going if they are close friend or family... But will have any TTU/big games pulled up on my phone or the reception better have TVs

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the big difference there is there are only 12-14 college football games a year. It's way different than really any other sports. The only reason you don't hear it when it comes to the NFL is because people don't get married on Sundays. NBA, MLB, NHL, there are dozens and dozens of games every season, and then a bunch more in the playoffs. I've personally never known anyone to not have a wedding due to an MLS game or NASCAR.

I've been to probably 8-9 summer weddings (was Best Man/in the groomsmen party for 3 of them) and they were fine. You get hot, but you just have the wedding indoors and it's no problem. I've been to 2-3 winter weddings, and again they were fine indoors. I'm getting married this May, and it honestly wasn't that difficult of a date to get. We're getting married at a golf course, and we were able to go in last summer and we had our pick of 3 Saturdays in May and 3 in April, so it's not that difficult to do them in the Spring if you plan ahead well enough.

You're right though. If it's a close friend, I won't care about missing a game like Tulane.

:clap:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want me to come, it had better not interfere with football.

Already have one wedding invitation this year. It's in May. I was asked to be a groomsman, but I declined. I don't want to have to rent a tux and do any rehearsal stuff.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister said they picked the date so that they could use the song September by Earth Wind & Fire as their wedding song.

Sons fiance said she doesn't want it to be about football.

:L

Here's what I would do. i have every imaginable app you can get on an iPhone to watch college football games. Every.One.Of.Them. Just get the game going on your iPhone (or whatever you use) and you'll only miss about 40 minutes of the game when you really, really, really can't be checking it. If that pisses her off, then tough shit. But she'll be so busy you'll get away with it if you're cool. Just don't yell "Hell, yeah!!!!" in the middle of the reception (unless you've got all your other football buddies watching the game with you).

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister said they picked the date so that they could use the song September by Earth Wind & Fire as their wedding song.

Sons fiance said she doesn't want it to be about football.

:L

This makes the Anniversary gift every year an easy one. Three tickets to Nebraska game for you, your daughter in law, and your son.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes the Anniversary gift every year an easy one. Three tickets to Nebraska game for you, your daughter in law, and your son.
Wait, people do anniversary presents? I’ve been getting hosed for years now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well on the plus side its Nebraska games you are missing so there is that.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but for real though work some time details

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two extremely selfish times to have a wedding. In the Fall on football Saturdays, and any weekend during December. Weekends during December because it is Christmas time and you have family Christmas plans that need to be done, yet you have to take an entire day and night attending a wedding, plus the days prior getting ready for the wedding. Oh and having to buy a wedding gift on top of the Christmas gifts you must buy.

So basically September-December do not have weddings.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only solution is to move and not tell them the new address. You're welcome.