• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Retired Jerseys

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the talk about Iggy and whether he deserves to have his jersey retired or not, it got me thinking about the Giants jerseys.

With the addition of Bonds and Clark, the Giants have, for all intents and purposes, dropped their HOF requirement. And seeing as the recent crop of Giants greats likely missing out on the hall (Bum and Posey have chances, but will likely end up on the outside looking in), who will get the honor?

I think Bum, Posey and Timmeh are near locks. But how about Cain? Pence? Sandoval? Maybe “Four” (instead of an actual number) for the core 4 to honor them as a group? Should there be a statue of the 9 who got all 3?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the talk about Iggy and whether he deserves to have his jersey retired or not, it got me thinking about the Giants jerseys.

With the addition of Bonds and Clark, the Giants have, for all intents and purposes, dropped their HOF requirement. And seeing as the recent crop of Giants greats likely missing out on the hall (Bum and Posey have chances, but will likely end up on the outside looking in), who will get the honor?

I think Bum, Posey and Timmeh are near locks. But how about Cain? Pence? Sandoval? Maybe “Four” (instead of an actual number) for the core 4 to honor them as a group? Should there be a statue of the 9 who got all 3?

Let's not go overboard here. I think they should absolutely retire Posey's 28. I love Timmeh to death but I don't think they'll go so far to retire 55. I doubt we see it used for a good long while. Same with Cain and Bum.

That being said, we thought they would unofficially retire Cain's 18 and they gave it to Connor Joe last year, so :noidea:

It would be pretty awesome if they retired Posey, Cain, Lincecum and Bum's numbers all at once, though. Ultimately it was those three arms, each with their own time in the spotlight, throwing to the mainstay behind, that could define the championship era. There were tons of side stories, but if you really had to break it down you could point to those 4, plus Boch, and the focal points.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Craw’s resurgence and his place on a lot of Giants all-time lists, I think he at least gets into this convo as well.

I do like the idea of a statue, or a special alcove plaque display or something for the 9 with 3. They need to be separated out somehow.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey is getting in the Hall of Fame book it

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. He's got to go. Just too good, rings, face of the franchise for too long. He's an icon. There's no sense in having a HOF without him. Or Bonds.
I still think Mauer is his best comp.

THREE batting crowns
One MVP
Six All-Star games
Four top 10 MVP seasons
Five Silver Sluggers
Three Gold Gloves
Ten seasons as catcher (I am ignoring his 1B years)
31.9 WAR7

Posey

One batting crown
One MVP
Three championships
Six All-Star games (almost certainly another this year)
Three top 10 MVP seasons
ROY
Four Silver Sluggers
One Gold Glove (this actually surprised me)
Twelve seasons as catcher (so far)
36.7 WAR7 (‘21 is not yet in his WAR7; he is on pace for approx 5.5 WAR this year, so his WAR7 will likely increase by about 1.5 points this year)